300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 AM

Need help

First, hello to everyone. I just want to say I've been viewing the site and using its many resources for years and have been able to fix most of my cars problems through the sites many resources, but this is my first time registered.

Recently I started dental school and no longer have time to play around with the car so I decided to take my extra loan money and fix the Z with a little overhaul. The car ran beautifully for the first 2 days but then the boost started to lock at around 5-7. I checked around z driver and ran a diagnostic and I indeed got code 34. Does this mean its the sensor or is the car actually detonating? Nissan's overhaul included plugs, valves, injectors, fuel rail, seals, new fuel hoses, vacuum lines, clutch, rear seal, and some others I probably left out, also the car has the Jim Wolf upgrade and I normally run around 14-15lbs. Do you think they might have damaged the sensor? Also I think I hear an air noise coming from the back of the engine somewhere when I slightly open the throttle it may sound like a suction but I'm not to sure. Any other reasons this might have happened and if its already posted somewhere would anyone mind posting the link to the solution. Thank You guys.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 AM
caught the z fever

how many miles? what grade gas?

Getting a code 34 basically just means theres a fault in the system. it is probably your sensor. also, if you dont know, the sensor doesnt detect detonation over 3000 or so rpm.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 AM

I always use 93 octane gas and the car has about 119,500 miles on it. What do you recommend also thank you for the quick response and do you think I have an argument to take to nissan to try to get them to fix it for close to nothing sense they did have the upper engine apart and this could have been resolved easily and I did spend alot of money
Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
caught the z fever

i dont think you will be able to tie the sensor to their work. it was probably just its time to die

Last edited by b300z; 04-16-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Truth be told, the harness is what's most problematic so when you replace the sensor, replace the harness too. And Nissan isn't going to let you blame it on them. Was it probably their fault? Perhaps... if the top end was apart, they no doubt moved the harness around and at its age, it was probably brittle. But they're not going to accept fault for it.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 AM

I figured that just thought I would try. I looked at the wire harness and just before the connection to the ecu wire a small piece of insulation on the wire was ripped off. I covered it with electrical tape and so far I haven't gone into safety boost but I didn't reset the computer yet. The car is boosting in the normal range (for now) of 14-15, maybe I'm paranoid right now but I don't know if it feels the same. Does the computer change something (like air/fuel ration, etc..) and even though its boosting correctly something is still off a little until the code is erased or am I just paranoid.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 AM
caught the z fever

the only thing the ecu will do is drop into safety boost ~ 7psi. if it feels rough or underperforming, and you hear metallic popping from the engine you might actually be detonating early. though sometimes you cannot hear detonation at all.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Pr0n Addict

if you moved the wires around to put this tape on and it went from 5-7 lbs. back to 15, then that indicates that there is a break in the wire and wiggling it helped it. maybe i misread or you didn't explain it well, but if that is what happened, you may just need to cut a section of wire out and crimp in a good new one
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Thank you for the help guys. I'm gonna play around with it today is there any other way to know if the car is detonating besides hearing it cause I don't think I hear the noise but then again i'm not sure exactly what i'm hearing over the sound of the engine