300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Comparing two Z's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Comparing two Z's

(sorry if this is a double post)
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm looking at a 300ZX TT in the near future and would like your opinion on a couple in my area. The first one, priced at $10,500, is a 1993, has 99K miles on it, and has the following listed as upgrades:

B&B stainless catback
Z1 stainless testpipes (I still have the factory catted pipes as well)
JWT ecu upgrade
JWT intake
Turbo smart boost gauge
Generic digital volt meter gauge
Z1 short throw shift kit
Here are a few of the pics of this one. *(Neither car had the greatest
pics posted btw.)

The second one is a 1994, has higher miles, 134K, but is very reasonably priced at $8500. It is mostly stock, but the seller states that at 120K miles, it had a full service performed which included:
... timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, Thermostat, VTC springs & o rings, idler pulleys, 3 drive belts (AC, PS, Alternator belt), Crank Shaft oil seal, Cam shaft oil seals, and 2 (driver and passenger ) OEM Nissan stock turbos.
He states that stuff was done by the previous owner, and in the 3K miles he's owned it he's done:

During my ownership I have completed at tune up with the correct NGK irdium spark plugs, installed new coil pack connectors, Z1 motorsports balance tube O rings, all new fluids in the power steering, brakes, coolant, clutch master cylinder, the rear diff fluid was changed to AMSOIL 75w90 synthetic
Here are the pics of this one, again, no great pics:

It's pretty much bone stock, which I like. So I guess my main question is it seems to me that the one with the higher miles has been better taken care of, and the turbos have been replaced with OEM Nissan turbos, which seems like a huge deal to me. I haven't been to see the cars physically yet, but all other aspects, interior/exterior
appear to be similar. Normally I would be inclined to look harder at the one with the lower miles, but in this instance, I'm wondering if the higher mileage car is the better buy.

Obviously I would do my due diligence on both before buying either, having them checked out by a Nissan mechanic, running carfax, and trying to get receipts/proof of all work done. I just wanted some opinions from other 300ZX owners, as this will be the first one for me. I'm trying to set up times to go look at the cars in the next few
days.

Also, any advice as to what typical problems/issues to look for in these cars specifically. My plan with my Z is to keep it stock initially and enjoy it as is, but may build it up in the future.

Thanks!

Last edited by paqman; 08-02-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:19 PM

Good post. First attempt probably lost.

Both Zs look like fun to drive and the 2 owners make them sound pretty good. But the two prices seem way too high to me. Did you just strike oil in your back yard?

Don't know where you are but I would check out Craig's list for those same Z years in different cities around the country. You will be amazed at the range of prices and then have some reference points for price. Considering your price range, you could fly there, check it out and then drive it home - all for less than you are thinking of paying now. Just a thought

But wait for other input here... I'm just a Z31 guy.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 08-02-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

the low mileage one is overpriced. You need a timing belt done in the memory of man. the turbos tend to go out around 120 K or so. the low miles in this case are illusory. I don't know what part of the country you are in but around seattle you couldn't sell either of those for what they are asking. were it me I'd opt for the one with all new stuff. the engine lasts and so does the running gear. You might want to do some suspension stuff like poly bushings, shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints. how are the tires does it still have the oem different offset wheels. Makes tire buying a chore. Put 17 on mine it was good and better looking. the alleged upgrades except for the JWT stuff (makes it faster not last longer) don't materially affect how the car will last or drive
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Good post. First attempt probably lost.

Both Zs look like fun to drive and the 2 owners make them sound pretty good. But the two prices seem way too high to me. Did you just strike oil in your back yard?

Don't know where you are but I would check out Craig's list for those same Z years in different cities around the country. You will be amazed at the range of prices and then have some reference points for price. Considering your price range, you could fly there, check it out and then drive it home - all for less than you are thinking of paying now. Just a thought

But wait for other input here... I'm just a Z31 guy.
I agree they are a bit overpriced, but the one for $8500 seems about right. I would try to offer under $8000 and see if I could get it for $8k. (Assuming I decided to make an offer on it) But you are right about searching around the country. I don't think I would like to travel farther than I could drive in one day though. I wouldn't mind taking a one way flight to a location and drive it home the next day. It does make viewing it and test driving it a bit of a hassle, but I'm not against doing that for the right Z. California and Arizona are both within a days driving range for me, so I may find a good one there. I'm hoping to stick under $10k, but would love to come away with a steal for $5k or $6k. (who wouldn't)

Originally Posted by rogerz
the low mileage one is overpriced. You need a timing belt done in the memory of man. the turbos tend to go out around 120 K or so. the low miles in this case are illusory. I don't know what part of the country you are in but around seattle you couldn't sell either of those for what they are asking. were it me I'd opt for the one with all new stuff. the engine lasts and so does the running gear. You might want to do some suspension stuff like poly bushings, shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints. how are the tires does it still have the oem different offset wheels. Makes tire buying a chore. Put 17 on mine it was good and better looking. the alleged upgrades except for the JWT stuff (makes it faster not last longer) don't materially affect how the car will last or drive
Thanks, you confirm what I was feeling originally. The fact that it has all those new parts, including new turbos totally says it's the better deal in my opinion. Not sure about the wheel setup, for some reason, I can't seem to get ahold of this guy to go look at the thing. It's only a 20 minute drive from my house! Anyway, thanks for the input. There are actually only four Z32 TT's up for sale in Utah right now that I can find on craigslist or otherwise. One is beautiful, but out of my price range at $13k, the other is only $4k, but needs bunch of work, and these are the other two. So I'm going to start checking craigslist and ebay for stuff in CA and AZ. I may post other Z's here to get your opinions on them as well.

I also wonder how hard it would be to hook up with other folks on this forum that might be willing to go check out a car I'm interested in if it's far away from me. Might be a long shot, but we'll see.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

I looked around craiglist Seattle but nothing looked good. If you hear of one drop me a message I'd go look unless it is far far away. There was one in Portland you might check craigslist there.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 AM

You seem pretty experienced with used cars given the list of vehicles you have owned. So you realize that any used Z you buy will need some work from you - whether it is work to get it running securely (timing belt in particular, tires, brakes, fluids, etc.) or just tuned up to where you really want it for driving day to day. All that work will cost you money - so you should make a list and a cost estimate for that work and mention it in your price offers, reducing your offers by the amount of work you both need and want to do on the car. It's a reasonable approach to budgeting that sellers can understand - and it let's you save part of your car budget to pay for it.

By the way, I have never believed a seller's promise that the timing belt was 'just replaced.' It's just too important to leave to the real chance that he's wrong about that - and so I replace it right away. I always put that into my offer, along with brakes and tires if they aren't obviously new. All that is at least $1,000 off the purchase price, depending on the model. And, as you say, a Carfax on the VIN is essential. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
You seem pretty experienced with used cars given the list of vehicles you have owned. So you realize that any used Z you buy will need some work from you - whether it is work to get it running securely (timing belt in particular, tires, brakes, fluids, etc.) or just tuned up to where you really want it for driving day to day. All that work will cost you money - so you should make a list and a cost estimate for that work and mention it in your price offers, reducing your offers by the amount of work you both need and want to do on the car. It's a reasonable approach to budgeting that sellers can understand - and it let's you save part of your car budget to pay for it.

By the way, I have never believed a seller's promise that the timing belt was 'just replaced.' It's just too important to leave to the real chance that he's wrong about that - and so I replace it right away. I always put that into my offer, along with brakes and tires if they aren't obviously new. All that is at least $1,000 off the purchase price, depending on the model. And, as you say, a Carfax on the VIN is essential. Good luck!
Yes for sure. Gotta take all that into account when buying a used car, especially a 20 year old twin turbo sports car. If the seller can back up the claims of work with receipts, I don't think I'd go changing the timing belt if the receipts show it's done, but yes, on an interference engine I definitely don't like to take any chances. Carfax is definitely a necessity as well. As far as negotiations go, I guess it all depends on what I think the car is worth in it's condition. If it needs a few things, but the sellers price already reflects that, then I don't want to lowball him, but you're right, if It needs some stuff done, but the price is a little high, then I would definitely have to give him a list of all the things I have to do to get it running good.

I guess my post here is to start feeling out what is a decent price for these cars. I feel like I have a pretty good idea, but your comments have been very helpful.