ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-51/)
-   -   shocks or sway bars.... (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-51/shocks-sway-bars-26830/)

KasbeKZ 10-04-2008 06:22 PM

shocks or sway bars....

i'm deciding what to do with my car over christmas break. should i get good shocks for $1000 or sway bars for about $350 or whatever they are? i'm guessing most will say shocks.... what will make the most improvement? my shocks now aren't really worn out, but i think they may be starting to fade just a little. but i don't have another Z around to go pushing on.

ZBRICK 10-04-2008 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
what will make the most improvement? .

What kind of improvemnet are you looking for. Be carful just adding a sway bar. You could end up with other problems. A sway bar search will give you insight.

b300z 10-04-2008 07:05 PM

save up for some spl coilovers

CanyonCarver 10-05-2008 05:37 AM

If your oem style shocks are worn out, replace them first. If they're in decent shape, get the swaybars. Coilovers are overkill for 99% of Z owners, and if you have to ask, they're overkill for you. :)

KasbeKZ 10-05-2008 09:54 AM

i don't mind a rough ride though. the improvement that i'm looking for is to stop bouncing quite so much in tight turns, and reduce body roll. it's not too bad right now, but it's present. and again, i know the shocks are not worn out (they are not OEM, and i can't identify them), but i don't think they are completely fresh either.

rtmorgan 10-05-2008 11:33 AM

yeah he doesnt mind a rough ride he likes the girls that fight back:023: :082:

KasbeKZ 10-05-2008 11:49 AM

damn right!

Goofyz 10-05-2008 09:24 PM

Both

Stock shocks and sway bars are fine. If you are experiencing loss of traction around corners you might want to invest in stickier tires.

KasbeKZ 10-05-2008 10:23 PM

no the tires stick quite well. but there's only so much they can do with limited suspension. i guess i'll start off with some sway bars, considering that the shocks aren't really worn out.

the tires grip great most of the time, but it's when the body gets a certain amount of roll, the rear swings out, and i don't think any volume of maple syrup on those tires could keep them stuck. that was a joke. it's late. i've had a couple-few doses of nyquil. i think the sway bars will help it a good bit. i hope.

ZBRICK 10-06-2008 03:04 PM

Kas, I am thinking of doing the same thing and I would be interested in how this works out for you.:048:

KasbeKZ 10-06-2008 05:25 PM

i'll surely post about it. something has come to mind though. it will be more expensive than i'm thinking because my tie rod ends are bad and i'll have to do those while i'm in there too, then pay for an allignment. i don't know if it will happen this december or not...

CanyonCarver 10-06-2008 07:18 PM

maintenance first. :)

But, if you're on stock springs, new eibachs, swaybars, adjustable tension rods, and adjustable upper control arms would be a nice addition before the alignment

KasbeKZ 10-06-2008 07:27 PM

would all the extra adjustment make the alignment cost more? i'm not making a race car here. just want a little more grab and some roll elimination. do you think all those adjustable parts are necessary?

CanyonCarver 10-07-2008 04:15 AM

The adjustable parts are actually necessary if you lower the car. More-so if you go with coilovers and lower it really low. You'll need these parts in order to be able to achieve the stock caster & camber alignment specs.

You can go with just aftermarket sway bars, to stiffen up the handling, and you won't need any of the above mentioned adjustable parts.

From stock, adding upgraded swaybars will make a significant improvement in handling.

KasbeKZ 10-07-2008 12:55 PM

alright i think i'll do that. that's what i wanted to hear. i don't plan to lower it any. i already bottom out enough as it is

Comorat2x2 10-08-2008 06:53 AM

God I hear that....I failed to clear a Mc Donalds soda cup in the street yesterday.....it was laying on it's side.

KasbeKZ 10-08-2008 08:41 AM

lol wow that's pretty low. i need to be able to clear the majority of the small raccoons running around. and the skunks too...

Comorat2x2 10-14-2008 01:53 PM

lol wow that's pretty low. i need to be able to clear the majority of the small raccoons running around. and the skunks too...

Then you're going to want to give me your Z and buy a truck. Let me know when I can pick her up eh? :biggrin:

KasbeKZ 10-14-2008 03:28 PM

give you my Z? i'm trying to buy a boat to live on, so i'd sell the Z for the right price.

z-hag 10-14-2008 07:20 PM

look for the boat on craigs list or in marinas as a lien sale potential--prices are coming down for boats and other things land dwellers with houses do not feel able to continue responsibility for...all kinds of good deals should be coming up....then give ME your Z......

KasbeKZ 10-14-2008 07:29 PM

i found a great boat this weekend. if i can sell the car fast enough for the right price, i'll probably end up getting it.

if you want my Z, you get buddy discount, and i'll drive it half way to cali for you for just the price of gas, and a plane ticket back

KasbeKZ 10-14-2008 07:42 PM

actually, i'd deliver it all the way to cali for the price of gas and a plane ticket back.

z-hag 10-14-2008 08:42 PM

actually, i'd deliver it all the way to cali for the price of gas and a plane ticket back.

aaaaaaaaawwwwwww---if i could afford it i would have made an offfer, kiddo---i have 2 boats to support--maybe forever!!!! boat owners are broke!!!! all money goes into boat---same with Z cars----i had to make a choice----i still have one to trade for engine works in my boat-----whew---then i can finish downsizing and leave!!!!

KasbeKZ 10-14-2008 08:55 PM

oh well. the guy that has the boat i'm trying to buy has shown some interest in it too. i'm not really sure if he's the type that i'd want to have it though. i don't think he realizes what it is.

KasbeKZ 10-23-2008 09:18 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...mZ120321892849

what is the z enthusiests thought on tokico's? i read some reviews, and most are good, especially from the honda people lol. i did find a few saying they crapped out within a week. do they just generally suck?