ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-51/)
-   -   Coilover Question (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-51/coilover-question-21808/)

jnoble 02-13-2007 04:23 PM

Coilover Question

so this guy has these nice hks coilovers but the rear is bolt up point is a full circle and it needs to be a fork. He told me to just pull off my rear ones and for no extra charge he will cut it off and weld up a fork fitting. I was under the impression that you couldnt weld them but he says you can?? does anyone know the answer to this?? arent they filled with gas??

bardabe 02-13-2007 05:27 PM

if U want coil overs get some for Z32. im sure he can weld them but they are HKS why would you do that?. what if the welds break. get the real deal or just get a shock and spring combo.

napoleonzheking 02-13-2007 11:46 PM

wtf are you talking about fork?? just spend the money and get some made for the Z32, or do like everyone else and get eibach lowering springs + camber correction and the adjustable KYB shocks.... honestly, do you REALLY need coilovers?

snwbrderphat540 02-14-2007 02:55 AM

haha... this was wierd.. yeah unless you or him are a professionl fabricator in suspension and know how to make custom suspension setups... get the hell outta there. dont touch it. if you need to... spend an a$$ load of money and get coilovers.. but they arent gonna do anything much for you except allow you to turn your Z32's under carriage into bump scraper. get the eibach's they are progressive spring rate so the harder you work them the harder they will work. get adjustable KYB AGX if you have the need to adjust your car and are going for control and yeah basically do what napoleon said to.. but i have a feeling you just want to lower your car. alot... thats what most people use coil overs for, jsut to drop their ride. not for the performance. if you want to drop your car, do whatever you gotta do i guess. (btw the struts are filled with gas and i think a hydraulic fluid in the chamber's/canisters) but if your going for the performance aspect do what napoleon said to

CanyonCarver 02-14-2007 05:35 AM

I wouldn't be welding on a gas pressurized shock. Soundz cheezy to me.

b300z 02-14-2007 12:16 PM

as they said, dont be cheap and put something on a z that isnt made for it

if you want complete control over your ride stiffness/softness, and youre planning on tracking the car a lot, then coilovers would be a good idea. some coilovers come with progressive springs as well

if you want dont want to spend money, and arent tracking your car much, just get a set of aftermarket springs and shocks.

ZLover4Life 02-14-2007 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
I wouldn't be welding on a gas pressurized shock. Soundz cheezy to me.

That's what I was thinking. I'd imagine that when HKS welds the joints on, the shocks are empty. But once they are complete, I wouldn't recommend heating them up like that.

Get coilovers meant specifically for the Z32.

napoleonzheking 02-15-2007 10:15 AM

IMO the eibach's are enough to lower it and make it look good. all i have is the eibach's and my car sit's 6 inches off the ground... but then again, my car was way jacked up suspension wise before i did the mod. I'll post pics when i get back from my honeymoon sunday.

ZLover4Life 02-15-2007 03:55 PM

6" off the ground??? That seems high... I think my car was about 5" stock and right now it's closer to 4" with my setup. My stock suspension could've been sagging though.

japanz 02-15-2007 10:04 PM

Never cut and weld anything unless you are very aware of what you are doing. Good advice in this post of what not to do.

My advice is get these for under a grand shipped to your door from Japan.

http://www.kts-web.com/shopping/damper/db_00.html

ZLover4Life 02-15-2007 10:22 PM

... or you could buy some Ground Control Coilovers for $400 and use your OEM struts. Or get the Ground Control Coilovers and some aftermarket shocks for $270-$470 depending on type and still be cheaper than those.

bardabe 02-16-2007 07:36 AM

or I can get you some brand new ksports for 650$ + shipping. =] (that's what Im running now.)

ZLover4Life 02-16-2007 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by bardabe
or I can get you some brand new ksports for 650$ + shipping. =] (that's what Im running now.)

What are these ksports you speak of?

bardabe 02-16-2007 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
What are these ksports you speak of?

http://www.ksportusa.com/products/coilovers.html

sure enough its not HKS Qualaty but then again im not paying 2100 for them. (in that case I;d get Yashio Factory for 1900 {same as HKS] ha ha)

ZLover4Life 02-16-2007 09:44 PM

Where can you get them for $650? If you can, that'd be a killer deal; adjustable struts and ride height with pillow ball upper mounts... But their price page says $1300 for the Z32.

bardabe 02-16-2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Where can you get them for $650? If you can, that'd be a killer deal; adjustable struts and ride height with pillow ball upper mounts... But their price page says $1300 for the Z32.

if u are really intrested I'll see what my connect can do for me to get you some for the Z32 I'll let you know as soon as he gets back to me.... (mom signed me up for some stupid religios retreat thing so i will be gone saturday and sunday)....

snwbrderphat540 02-17-2007 12:33 PM

(mom signed me up for some stupid religios retreat thing so i will be gone saturday and sunday)....

:037: ehe.....eeehehehe.... hehehahahaha... its funny cause mommy signed you up to ship out out somewhere... its even funnier becuase i know id go crazy at a religious retreat. not that there is anything wrong with religion or anything like that... just the retreat part.

91zxtt 02-18-2007 10:41 AM

Bard....what the hell did you do to force your mom to sign you up for a relgious retreat?

Barry'Z(NJ) 02-18-2007 11:30 AM

if u are really intrested I'll see what my connect can do for me to get you some for the Z32 I'll let you know as soon as he gets back to me...

Hmmm...

Group-Buy? :unibrow:

napoleonzheking 02-18-2007 01:03 PM

I went from this http://azcc.ww4.us/gallery/albums/us...l_100_2810.jpg

to this.. with the eibachs and stuff.

http://azcc.ww4.us/gallery/albums/us...1/IMAG0274.JPG

snwbrderphat540 02-18-2007 01:07 PM

wow.. your front end is WAY to high in the first pic. my 260 front end is doin that ish.... i dont get it.

Riz Z Speed 02-18-2007 01:09 PM

wow that looks weird.
and moved to 300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis

napoleonzheking 02-19-2007 02:17 AM

Yah, i never noticed it because I had never seen another Z32 upclose until that day, which was my first car club event... I was like WTF.... replaced shocks and springs. I dunno what was going on.. lol

Goofyz 02-19-2007 07:26 AM

I like the K-Sports

I got mine front/back for about 800$ from the shop in Phoenix/Tempe I think. They are fully height adjustable, no preload to speak of, the ride is a bit harsh for daily driving but they are very nice on the track. takes about 5 min a corner to install come as a single unit and I have had them on for a year with no issues. I think they are about 80-120$ a piece to rebuild if and when the time comes.