300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

what kind of engine mods should i do

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM

what kind of engine mods should i do

ok im a noob and this is my first turbo car and i dont know much especially on 300z's

my car is a 84 z31 v6 turbo 5sp.....i was thinkin a k&n intake.....to start with......what does anyone think?? im on a limited budget income lol so pricy upgrades will have to wait a lil bit
Old 01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Über User

best thing to do is a good tune up and inspection. basically makeing sure the car is running perfectly the way it should. then add intake exhaust (better flow throughtbasically) etc.

ooh, and do RESEARCH. lots and lots of research. your best friend is knowledge. learn specifically about your car and turbo systems in general.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

the SEARCH function works well. plenty of info. please do a little research, as this is a very common question. then ask more specific questions.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM

what is the best turbo upgrade withing 500? also what size injectors would i need? and how much boos/hp the stock block could hold? i want to get more power but i won't be doing anything with internals for a while, i'll do that in the summer maybe.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:53 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by Project_Z
what is the best turbo upgrade withing 500? also what size injectors would i need? and how much boos/hp the stock block could hold? i want to get more power but i won't be doing anything with internals for a while, i'll do that in the summer maybe.
once again, SEARCH. all of this has been answered.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Distinquished Guest

Cool That's right...

Originally Posted by entropy31
once again, SEARCH. all of this has been answered.
We don't talk "car shop" here because it has all been asked, and answered before. So, whatever your question may be, SEARCH for the answer all you wish, but, don't you dare ask us for advice. We are all Internet Z Gods and answering your silly azzed question is beneath us.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by johnZboy
We don't talk "car shop" here because it has all been asked, and answered before. So, whatever your question may be, SEARCH for the answer all you wish, but, don't you dare ask us for advice. We are all Internet Z Gods and answering your silly azzed question is beneath us.
i have nothing against new threads and questions, but there is a wealth of info on this site, especially in your threads, about upgrading the z31. we don't need 500 threads asking the same vague questions.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:11 PM

my bad about asking the famous noob question but thats what i thought forums were for.....HELP....and not just all searching cause sometimes you just dont have time to look up a hundred threads to find one answer.......o and johnzboy im sure your not a god or whatever..but thanks for being an azz
Old 01-06-2008, 05:19 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

my bad about asking the famous noob question but thats what i thought forums were for.....HELP....
that is absolutely right, but it would really help to ask more specific questions, and state what kind of goals you have for the car. we get tons of "yo i want my car 2 b hella fast but i only gots 500 bux" questions. understand that there are no "one size fits all" answers to this kind of stuff. we ask that you search in hopes that you will find some info related to what your goals are, and allow you to ask more informed questions. it's not because we are elitist Internet Tough Guys.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Distinquished Guest

Red face Humble Apologies...

johnzboy im sure your not a god or whatever..but thanks for being an azz
Sorry 'bout that. My little rant was directed at entropy31 because he, in essence, slammed the door on you and your question. I was being sarcastic. entropy31 understood that, quickly. I guess you didn't.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Distinquished Guest

Thumbs up Project_Z

Read This Page, then get back to us...
Old 01-06-2008, 06:47 PM

What johnzboy said... That is the best place for answers...

And what snw said... the 1st thing you should do for the $$$ is intake & exhaust, (check on smog)

Welcome to Z Driver and please use search, as you will find alot of things on upgrades for your Z31 turbo...
Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Über User

see. we dont mind similare questions, but when you ask, what turbo and injectors should i get? thats just something we dont do. if you asked, hey i found "inseret brand and type turbo here" for this price would you think its a good turbo for this car and any recomended injectors sizes. but most likely you can make your own judgement on injectors size based on boost. but really, if you learn about turbo systems and know how they function and react to different things, you can make your own judgements and ask the questions on what you think you like. such as knowing IC systems are a good upgrade with a medium sized turbo and some injectors uped maybe 100CC's or so or more even if you want big numbers but then you need a way to control there percentage they open, you can do a simple SAFC after that or standalone if you want to be a lil crazy.

but if your not going to get into serious racing, then just a lil larger injectors IC setup, intake exhaust (full exhaust) up the boost a few pounds nothing crazy, then make the car purdy.

but first mod is to replace old garbage engine parts/electrical parts or just fix them freshen them up so you know the car is running at its full potential on the current setup.

but if you do search around in teh Z31 sections for mods you can see what others have done and get a perspective on what you might want to do.

remember, this forum has been around for YEARS so all the mod questions have been asked and general techincal problems. the more popular and accepted questions are the ones that have wierd mystery problems you cant figure out that youve attempted to fix already.

we arent here to tell you to search on every question, we arent those kind of people, but at general questions like, i got X amount of money, what can i buy with it.... we arent your parents/local mod shop. thats why the search reference is made.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 AM

ok im a noob and this is my first turbo car and i dont know much especially on 300z's

my car is a 84 z31 v6 turbo 5sp.....i was thinkin a k&n intake.....to start with......what does anyone think?? im on a limited budget income lol so pricy upgrades will have to wait a lil bit
Fast, Reliable, Cheap. Pick two.

You can be fast and reliable, but it will cost you.
You can be reliable and cheap, but you won't be as fast.
You can be fast and cheap, but you won't be reliable. Then again, it will end up costing more in the long run, so it won't be cheap either.

If you don't have a lot of money, I suggest keeping the car relatively stock and properly maintained. Proper maintenance is key.