ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/)
-   -   Tranny Problems (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/tranny-problems-7776/)

GOMEZGOGO 12-02-2003 06:14 PM

Tranny Problems

HELP!, I HAVE A 86ZX 2+2 WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, WHICH IS DRIVING ME MAD... SAME PROBLEM THAN DUCKYZ(..on my AE.
When I first start driving, the transmission hesitates and vibrates. This happens at all speeds, espically on hills. After about 10 minutes of driving, the hesitation decreases but, from a dead stop it's still bad. )IF I TRY TO OVERREV THE ENGINE TO 2000RPM I GET NOT RESPONSE. I HAVE TO REV SLOWY SO I CAN GET THE TRANNY DRIVE THE DIFFERENTIAL. UP HILL DRIVING TAKES A LOT OF PATIENT TO GET IT GOING... DO I NEED TO CHANGE TRANNY? CAN I GO FOR A MANUAL IF NOT...DUMP THE CAR IN A SWAMP? PLEASE HELP MEEEEE...

craZed 12-02-2003 08:26 PM

have you tried changing fluid?

GOMEZGOGO 12-03-2003 12:44 PM

tried changing the tranny oil to no avail. still the same problems.

can i go ahead and install a manual tranny? whats needed?

johnZboy 12-03-2003 01:10 PM

Are you positively sure it's the transmission?

What you described almost sounds like a bad engine misfire (skip, busting out, etc.).

Has it been tuned up lately? If not, maybe you should invest in some plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. That would be a lot cheaper than ANYTHING transmission related.

GOMEZGOGO 12-03-2003 03:19 PM

things i try: tune up, changing oil in transmission.(no leaks). engine sounds and performs flawlessly. the car runs great at high speeds, even when i step on the gas to the floor. as soon as i stop and get going again, it takes a couple of seconds and some light steeping on the gas pedal so i dont end up revving up the engine with no force being transferred to the rear wheels. as soon as the car gains some speed, i can hear the transmission downshifting thru the normal ranges. if going uphill i need to shift to Low 1 to get it going. then it works fine at high speeds. i am seriuosly considering getting a manual tranny for this car. any ideas on what will i need, can i make the swap between trannys?.

thanks very much to the folks i have received reply's to this post.

season grettings from the folks here in the shining star of the Caribbean, PUERTO RICO...

AZ-ZBum 12-04-2003 08:38 AM

I'm more apt to believe your Air Flow Meter has gone south.

AllmyZs 12-04-2003 12:31 PM

Can you free rev the motor with the car in park or neutral. If you can then you motor should be OK. Now did you just change the tranny fluid or did you flush it. I did my mini van and it took over 20 quartz of fluid for a 14 quart system. If you have done that then go for the swap. You will need to find a wrecked ZX to use as a donor. you will need the tranny, clutch cylinder and all realted hardware. You will need the pedals this includes clutch, brake and gas since a standard has smaller pedals. Check the crossmember to see if you need it and the driveline. I would take them just in case. I am not sure which site to go to get the info for the install but i know one is out there.
Good Luck