300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

so i am about to buy a swap on a website but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:51 PM

so i am about to buy a swap on a website but..

So as i look for a place to buy my VG30dett motor in the future many sites have good reviews. I have also heard orlando has a few hand pick places. let me know what you guys think of the sites and reputation.

JDM Engines & JDM Parts | JapanStarMotor
TorontoJDM.com - Total Japanese Domestic Motor
Engines, jdm, diesel engines, jdm engines, japanese engines, japanese motors
JDM
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM

so i want to buy an engine online..and..

So as i look for a place to buy my VG30dett motor in the future many sites have good reviews. I have also heard orlando has a few hand pick places. let me know what you guys think of the sites and reputation. Or if anyone is selling a full swap locally.

JDM Engines & JDM Parts | JapanStarMotor
TorontoJDM.com - Total Japanese Domestic Motor
Engines, jdm, diesel engines, jdm engines, japanese engines, japanese motors
JDM
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM

How old are you?
How much mechanical experience do you have?
How much did your Z31 cost?
How much do you have in cash right now?

I'm going out on a limb here and say.....
under 22, very little, under $3k, and about $200 in the bank.

All of which tells me that YOU WILL NEVER DO THIS SWAP.

There are several reasons.
1. You don't have the funds.
2. You don't have the experience.
3. You don't have the drive.

Yes. I'm getting to be a bitter old fart because this question gets asked all the freaking time. I've seen it no less than 500 times (NOT an exaggeration) and NOT ONCE has anyone who's asked ever followed through on it.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM

24, worked for honda with 3 ASE's, the car still runs and drives fine i got it for $800, and i have $3000 right now. I am copying my friends build he has 2 z31's one with a vg30dett and one with a vg33et. He got his engine from the junkyard. But i want to get a motor online from a reputable site. JDM hopefully with little miles but i hear most of the sites are scams.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 PM

most everyone is telling me to just get a VG30et from a junkyard and build it. That it will make just as much power as the dett for less $$$. But when i drove his dett vrs his et, the dett really felt much more powerful and torque.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Oh. So you have $3k on this board and $7k on Z31performance.com? Yup. I'm sure you're full of **** now.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 PM

PS: What a car feels like and what it really does are two totally different things. How fast do both of them run the quarter mile? Or how much power do they have?

Actually, don't bother answering unless you provide dyno sheets or drag race videos. I just won't believe you.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM

You should post pictures of your friend's VG30DETT swapped Z31.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM

i have a serious question tho i have access to a VG30DE how different is the bottom of the block and how doable is the swap
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM

The only similarities in the VG30DE and VG30E is the amount of displacement.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
How old are you?
How much mechanical experience do you have?
How much did your Z31 cost?
How much do you have in cash right now?

I'm going out on a limb here and say.....
under 22, very little, under $3k, and about $200 in the bank.

All of which tells me that YOU WILL NEVER DO THIS SWAP.

There are several reasons.
1. You don't have the funds.
2. You don't have the experience.
3. You don't have the drive.

Yes. I'm getting to be a bitter old fart because this question gets asked all the freaking time. I've seen it no less than 500 times (NOT an exaggeration) and NOT ONCE has anyone who's asked ever followed through on it.
now now az i did a swap long time ago wasent as easy as this one but i did my swap. but mine was a first and was copyed by a few but i was the first. and az your right it coast alot and takes alot of drive.

maby he will do it.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
now now az i did a swap long time ago wasent as easy as this one but i did my swap. but mine was a first and was copyed by a few but i was the first. and az your right it coast alot and takes alot of drive.

maby he will do it.
You're still around? I thought you had a V8 swap? What ever happened with that Z car club that you owned?

And I GUARANTEE you were not the first person to swap a different motor into their Z31.

edit:
PS: Lay off the paint fumes. Your spelling hasn't gotten any better.

Last edited by AZ-ZBum; 09-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Thats about what i figured so turbo swap it is then haha
Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM

while I see a lot more negativity on American z31 sites, I also see a lot more modification activity which is great.
I get a lot of younger guys ask and never follow through, but having somewhere to research and ask questions when it comes to such old cars is pretty cool!
I learnt a heap from z31p before starting my build and then a heap more while I explored new options.
Modifying a z31 isn't a cheap or easy task, but ultimately very rewarding..
Old 02-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Look carefully pre-leap

I have to agree with the serious 'Look-Before-You-Leap' posts above. Two years ago I was seriously considering doing a 'basic' n/a to turbo swap in my original '86. But the more I read here and at other sites, the more I was turning off to the idea. Of course, I didn't have the mechanical savvy or experience to do all the work myself. But I could have gotten great help with all of that.

What turned me off finally was a visit to the JDM guys and their 'showroom.' A warehouse floor covered with used motors with little tags on them, covered with oil and grease, not even on pallets. You would have to be a pro just to pick out a motor there, let alone install it. Not my skill level, sorry to admit.

Add to all that, the number of custom-type special parts and fabrications needed o make everything fit and work right... and JDM didn't include any of that stuff, so I dropped that whole approach. But I was still hot for an '86 turbo... no doubt about that.

So I went the old-fashioned route: I bought one! Very used. Turbocharge was in great shape - but the rest of the car needed major repairs and renovation. A couple of months of make-up work for years of poor maintenance. After a good three months of time and mucho $$ - I got what I wanted. If I had gone the other route, I am sure the project would still be spread out all over a garage somewhere, looking for serious help.

I am envious of the guys here who can do it and have done it! Mechanically gifted brains who can put the time and labor in. I'm not one of them, sorry to say - but I'm happy enough now. There's nothing like a Z!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:07 PM

definitely agree zxguy1986, but also like the fact that you stated your point without being negative :-)
I've been around cars for a while and replaced mechanical elements along with extensive body work on 2 previous z31s.
HOWEVER, this is by far my most ambitious z31 project to date and very challenging - 2 years to date.. there is no way I am quitting, but it takes a lot of dedication and cash so unless you have a serious z31 bug/addiction then this isn't for you.
I'm going an rb26/30 setup which could be debated why.
Due to availability I would always go z31 turbo instead of the headache of upgrading an NA, but that's just me.
A year before starting my build there was a local z31 with an rb26 that sold quite cheap. Would have purchased it in a heartbeat as would have saved me a lot of time and funds. SO my tip is if you can avoid some of the pain by acquiring someone elses project, do yourself the favor.

Last edited by pauls; 02-13-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Sounds good to me. You will get to improvise and upgrade as you work thru it. Plus the finished Z will be more your OWN than otherwise. Hope you keep us up to date on the proj - with lots of good pics as you move ahead.