300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Passenger Lock gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:18 AM

Passenger Lock gone crazy

just bought a 1985 Z (GLL 5-speed) the body is mint while the interror needs some work and after spending all day saterday with it in the shop replacing vac hoses, belts, fluids, and hoses she runs pretty dam good.

but my problem is this, intermittely when im driving and i press either side window up/down the passenger door lock locks/unlocks non-stop and the windows dont work. nissan's are new to me (im a 6 year honda tec) and i was wondering if anyone has seen this before. If i open both doors and cycle the ign switch i can get the windows to start working again. The car has a aftermarket alarm system but the guy i bought it from says it was doing that before the alarm was installed.

I also have this painfully bad bearing noise at idle that goes away when i press in on the clutch. is that the throwout bearing or transmission bearings?

any insight would be appreated!

-jason
Old 10-16-2005, 11:07 AM

Bad ground in the driver door. Find one of the ground wires (black one in the window switches is best) and connect a wire from that to a metal point in the door.

For the bearings, probably.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:37 PM

yeah after playing around with it i found out everything works perfect if the drivers door is all the way open so i assume its a wiring problem in that door either a bad ground or something is being pinched. ill start on that first

as for the trans i got a tech who works for nissan who will replace all the bearings in the trans if i bring him my trans and new bearings. he says it should take him a hour or so.

getting the trans out of a 1985 300zx is a different story (rusty exhaust)

but thanks all
Old 10-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Yea so the drivers door main ground in the harness that is in the actual door jamb has a factory splice that splices 3 main ground wires to one and it was broken. I guess from years of the drivers door opening and closing. so we had to take off the door panel and push out the harness out of the door (by peeling back the black rubber wire cover in the door jamb and re splice it all.

now everything works again!