ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/)
-   -   Key Codes For Z31 (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/key-codes-z31-42769/)

JGug1 12-30-2018 03:45 PM

Key Codes For Z31

My car is an '89. Short story: Some jerk stole my two keys. The car wasn't there so I still have it. The code in the glove box did not result in a useful key. Pulling the driver's side lock (by the way, not something you want to do. I will post a protocol) resulted in a lock cylinder with nearly invisible numbers. They also didn't work. My lock smith took the cylinder apart and made a key. It works on the doors and hatch but not the ignition. Please note that the keys I had worked on hatch, doors AND ignition.
Making the key work on the ignition requires more cutting but how much? Does anyone know if the ignition key has 8 or 10 cuts? 8 can be done. 10 is nearly impossible and I will have to deal with pulling the ignition assembly, a dreaded task.

JGug1 12-31-2018 10:33 AM

My lock smith has determined that the ignition key has *8* cuts. Therefore, there are something like 34(?) combinations. Now the key (no pun intended) will be to make a cut and try the key. It is possible that will have to be done 34 times but it is doable. I'll advise how it works our for interest.

Qaanaaq-Liaaq 01-05-2019 01:31 PM

You might end up having two different keys for your car: one key that works for the ignition and another key that works for everything except the ignition.If so, and you want just one key for your car that works for ALL the locks, check with Nissan on the availability of a z31 lock cylinder kit and replace all the locks with new ones.

Whatever you do, make a back up copy of the key(s) and store them in a safe place. And if you do get new locks, write down the four digit key no. and store it in a safe place.

I read your other post. Yes, back in the day, many T-tops were stolen. The z31 uses a sliding bolt mechanism which makes it more difficult to steal and would likely get damaged trying to remove them by force.

As I remember, the T-top theft problem mainly affected the Firebird and Camaro. Up until around 1983, these two cars had a T-top hooking mechanism instead of a sliding bolt mechanism to lock them to the car. Thieves discovered that by using two screw drivers, you could pop out a T-top. It happened to one of my coworkers. She had a 1978 Camaro. She sold the car shortly after the theft fearing it would happen again.

ChrisLyon 04-05-2019 06:44 AM

You mean to say i have to ask locksmith lewisville to get me two keys for me right ?

SaminaCotzier 05-25-2020 09:49 AM

If the ignition lock has eight combinations, then i suggest considering dealer for replacement of lock instead of taking it to the locksmith.

MadisonJessica 06-12-2020 01:26 AM

If you know how many cuts are needed for the ignition then you can easily deal with the problem without hiring any locksmith.

NicholasNorris 07-13-2020 06:05 AM

If you don't have the key then can a locksmith will help you to know the key codes by seeing the lock and help in making a new key?

MatthewRamirez 08-13-2020 08:20 AM

I think locksmith can easily cut the blank but not sure whether able to program it or not.

Jonathan Lordin 12-10-2020 06:02 AM

You can hire a locksmith oceanside to replace the ignition lock key. They can probably cut the key by using specialized tools and techniques at a respectable cost than the dealer.