ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/)
-   -   headlamp relay switch location? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/headlamp-relay-switch-location-41867/)

joezmam367 09-20-2016 01:00 PM

headlamp relay switch location?

I've looked at EL-191 in the FSM, and the location given for these relays are not where they are in my vehicle.

86 300zx base N/A 5mt GLL

im hoping somebody here can give me another place to look. I removed the washer jug and nothing, just bought a new headlamp motor and that's not it...

thanks in advance

rogerz 09-22-2016 10:30 AM

not sure but I'm thinking those relays shown are for the auto dimming feature which I think was on some of the cars. My 86 does not have those relays either. so I'm thinking all the power goes thru the stalk switch which is often the problem with headlights not working.

try this link. music sucks but info good

Take the schematic from the FSM down to kinkos and have them blow it up to 11x17. Much easier to read unless you are a keen eyed twenty something. get fsm at xenonzcar.com

joezmam367 09-22-2016 11:19 AM

I am a keen eyed twenty something lol
It is possible mine does not have them, im having an issue with the driverside headlight not coming up though. all my lights work, hi and lows. I purchased another headlight motor from a member here and that must not have been it either. I've tried replacing the relay on the motor with a few other and nothing changes.

it does not come up with the headlight stalk, or the push button, however i found that if i switch to my hi beams, then turn all lights off, the push button on the dash will stay on until i manually turn the motor a full 360 by hand.

any insight would be great. I diden't think this multiswitch was the issue becasue all my lights work, however i have seen this video a few times already... I don't think the music was that bad lol

rogerz 09-22-2016 05:48 PM

look at the circuit diagram. that motor circuit is a fairly complex circuit with some limit switches and other gizmos thrown in. you could always hot wire the motor to see if it is working. likely a bad switch or a loose/broken wire. The switch on the dash pod is supposed to work the motor so i'd start by looking at that circuit element. one trick that might work is to redraw the circuit from the diagram onto another piece of paper so you don't get lost in a diagram with a bunch of lines.

joezmam367 09-23-2016 04:42 AM

I'll have to go through it, although i gotta say, I'm defiantly more mechanically inclined than i am with electronics. This is as good a time as any to learn though.

On the thought of the circuit though, if the switch itself was bad wouldn't both headlights stay down? or is it two separate contacts like in the multi-switch for the lights...

rogerz 09-23-2016 11:06 AM

switch on the dash pod is just open close as I remember. but limit switches are particular to each motor. Could be as simple as a ground wire off or broken on the one that doesn't work. You need the ground as that is the second conductor. all electricity is two wire but automotive usage is the frame is the second conductor which works well unless the ground is interrupted.