300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 PM

Exclamation head gasket

I like to push my Z hard but the last time I was red lining I blew the head gasket. Now my question is what is a good head gasket to use for high rpm driving and and daily driving.

Please someone help me get my Z back on the streets.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Distinquished Guest

Originally Posted by chubbshwc

I like to push my Z hard but the last time I was red lining I blew the head gasket. Now my question is what is a good head gasket to use for high rpm driving and and daily driving.
Your friendly Nissan dealer's parts department can provide just what you need. An OEM (pure stock) head gasket will withstand all the pressure your N/A can give, plus, a lot more. Even a high boost engine won't blow the OEM gasket unless there are other issues involved, like detonation, overheating, or improper installation.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:59 PM

but i was red lining for about 8 seconds i was at about 130 in 4th gear and my oil pressure gauge hit 80 psi then the stock head gasket blew but everything else is fine and new and i have heard of oem graphite head gaskets blowing under so much pressure and i want something that just plain and simple will take a hell of a beating and run for a long time with no hickups or problems and i would like to get the best now so i don't have to change it later when i found the better one cuz head gaskets can be a bitch thats all and i was not looking for any wise *** remarks and that is why i barely come on sites like this because i give help when its needed and im not recognized or thanked for good advice and when i have a question i get some smart *** with nothing better to do than waste my time with the exception of on person (thanks for the diagram) now if you please could i have a straight answer
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

but i was red lining for about 8 seconds i was at about 130 in 4th gear and my oil pressure gauge hit 80 psi then the stock head gasket blew but everything else is fine and new and i have heard of oem graphite head gaskets blowing under so much pressure and i want something that just plain and simple will take a hell of a beating and run for a long time with no hickups or problems and i would like to get the best now so i don't have to change it later when i found the better one cuz head gaskets can be a bitch thats all and i was not looking for any wise *** remarks and that is why i barely come on sites like this because i give help when its needed and im not recognized or thanked for good advice and when i have a question i get some smart *** with nothing better to do than waste my time with the exception of on person (thanks for the diagram) now if you please could i have a straight answer
there was nothing in johzboys reply that could be considered "wise ***" or "smart ***". he gave you a good answer. on a non-turbo, the stock gasket will be fine. calm down, you asked for advise, dont get pissy if the answer is not what you had in mind. john has a lot of experience with high performance, built z31s, i would listen to what he has to say. and please punctuate your posts, it makes them much easier to read.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 AM

sorry i take it back. jhn do you have any advice on a heavy duty or high performance gasket?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 AM
The Good Twin

If you want a hardcore headgasket, get an MLS (multi-layer-steel) headgasket or a copper one.

Here is a copper one from SummitRacing: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

not actual VG30 headgasket, but you get the idea:

I did a quick search on the MSA website ( www.thezstore.com ) but they only show MLS headgaskets for the L28 right now...
Old 09-03-2006, 01:28 PM

Anybody here done a headgasket change them selves if so i need some info on the process cause i have donr the work on an ls1 z28 but not a 300zx
Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Über User

but i was red lining for about 8 seconds i was at about 130 in 4th gear and my oil pressure gauge hit 80 psi then the stock head gasket blew
is that supposed to be cool? why would you redline for 8 seconds, and what need would you have to go 130mph for....AND WHY WERE YOU REDLINING FOR 8 SECONDS......thats what puzzles me.....more than your headgasket is gonna blow if you keep crap like that up.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:00 PM

i was on route 24 in massachusetts on a sunday and i was just seeing how fast i could go. but it got to the point were keeping it on the road was more important than shifting to fifth gear. and i myself was shocked that only my headgasket blew. now again i'm just looking for advice and how to do something and someone questions how i blew it. really is this all there is on here critisizm. and watch someone is going to repremand me for being rude when i am asking for some simple help.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Über User

asking for a good head gasket is one thing, telling us a story that makes it seem you treat your car like **** so you need to make it indestrucible is another. and instead of redlining and not shifting just push in the clutch and coast, then you still have both hands on the wheel while you slow some. and you make it seem like its a daily thing when you state you need it to take beatings. not like i truly meant to flmae but jeez you know, we respect Z's around here alot so if you make it seem like you disrespect your Z we kinda loose respect for you to.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:21 PM

Anybody here done a headgasket change them selves if so i need some info on the process cause i have donr the work on an ls1 z28 but not a 300zx

http://carfiche.com/manuals020/cars/

You'll find the service manual for your car there. If it's TnA then just check back at the top of every hour. It changes constantly. That manual will outline how to change your headgasket.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 PM

yea the haynes manual shows a headgasket job with engine out im doin it with engine in
Old 09-03-2006, 11:10 PM

ok snwbrderphat540 go to hell cuz thats not what i meant i dont beat on it but i would like to be able to accelerate hard without blowing anything and it was kind busy on that...... wait why am i explaining myself to you i learned my lesson that day i dont need to be given a speech by someone other than a Z mechanic

and on another note the haynes manual walks you through an engine out gasket swap i need an engine in swap i bought the manual over a year ago and why arent the moderators doin their jobs and watchin out for these guys cuz what they think is a dumbass question is really information i need i came to this forum cuz i thought i would get help not just a bunch of wise guys who say they know stuff but dont share their wealth of information and im bein called dumb for sein how hard i could push my car that i respect and oops i blew a twenty year old gasket wow who didnt see that comin

i think i should have stayed with american F-bodys and left you ricers to have your coffee can sounding fast and the furious watchin circle jerk there now someone tell me when are you kicking out the ricers
Old 09-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Über User

grow up dude. you need to chill out and just think a bit.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:50 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

ok snwbrderphat540 go to hell cuz thats not what i meant i dont beat on it but i would like to be able to accelerate hard without blowing anything and it was kind busy on that...... wait why am i explaining myself to you i learned my lesson that day i dont need to be given a speech by someone other than a Z mechanic

and on another note the haynes manual walks you through an engine out gasket swap i need an engine in swap i bought the manual over a year ago and why arent the moderators doin their jobs and watchin out for these guys cuz what they think is a dumbass question is really information i need i came to this forum cuz i thought i would get help not just a bunch of wise guys who say they know stuff but dont share their wealth of information and im bein called dumb for sein how hard i could push my car that i respect and oops i blew a twenty year old gasket wow who didnt see that comin

i think i should have stayed with american F-bodys and left you ricers to have your coffee can sounding fast and the furious watchin circle jerk there now someone tell me when are you kicking out the ricers

you have quite the attitude. you have been hostile since you arrived on this site. please mellow out. and nobody here likes coffee can exhausts or fast and the furious, or any other ricer crap for that matter.

thank you,
your friendly neighborhood moderator.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:51 PM

yea the haynes manual shows a headgasket job with engine out im doin it with engine in
I still dont see your problem. Why cant you follow the engine dissasembly instruction outlined in the Haynes while the motor is still in the car? The actual procedure of changing the actual headgasket is going to be the same no matter where the engine is. It's still the same motor and the same head gasket. Remove what you need to, to get to the heads. Once you have access to the heads and are able to remove them then start following the procedure outlined in the manual.

and the link I posted was not for a Haynes manual
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I still dont see your problem. Why cant you follow the engine dissasembly instruction outlined in the Haynes while the motor is still in the car? The actual procedure of changing the actual headgasket is going to be the same no matter where the engine is. It's still the same motor and the same head gasket. Remove what you need to, to get to the heads. Once you have access to the heads and are able to remove them then start following the procedure outlined in the manual.
i believe the procedure you just outlined is commonly referred to as common sense. something that we seem to be lacking in this day and age.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM

wait a minute i just wanted to know how i am goin to get my big as hands in this tiny engine compartment and pull out these big components and i am not the only one asking these question my buddies who will be helping me asked me the same thing

And entropy nice moderating adding fuel to the fire saying i have no common sense

and seeing how all of you so called "Z Drivers" are such stuck up ****** i mean i dont know whats in the water where you guys are from cuz all the z drivers up here are more than helpful to shgare the info like this guy corey he has had like 4 z's and is always willing to help me when i have a question

Forums are for conversing and help where is the damn help
Old 09-05-2006, 01:18 PM

And entropy nice moderating adding fuel to the fire saying i have no common sense
Prove him wrong.
If you need someone to hold your big hand through this whole thing, maybe you should just take it to a shop.

Forums are for conversing and help where is the damn help
We told you to look at the Haynes manual, and the carfiche link.
That's helping I believe.

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I'll second that. Right back to that common sense thing.

Also, Z's are not rice. Z drivers are the coolest gear heads I've met.
You don't belong here chubbshwc.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
confuzed member

chub, you're still in hs, aren't you? This isn't a wise remark at all...it's an honest conclusion. Another honest conclusion: if you're asking how to get your hands in the engine bay to take out "big components" (I think he's talking about engine parts), this means that you've most likely NEVER even worked on a car before. So, you've never worked on a car before and you're going to try and tackle a HG job....good idea. Please post pics of your progress....this should be good.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

you yourself said that the gasket that blew was very old. that is likely the reason it failed. we suggested a new OEM gasket, which is all you need, in an effort to help you not spend money that didnt need to be spent. this was very good advice, and given in a friendly manner. you came back with an attitude, and we again tried to explain the reason for the advice we gave. once again, attitude. when you asked for the procedure to replace the gasket, we pointed you in the right direction. we would not have suggested to use the manual if it required you to remove the engine without infoming you of that fact. response, attitude. we are more that willing to give you all the help you need, and would love to see you continue to be an active member in our community, if you can keep the attitude in check and take advice given with an open mind. i have no problem with you questioning advice given on this site, thats fine, but keep it civil.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Doesn't post much...

Let's face it guys... We are rude and unhelpfull SOB's here at ZDriver. I think our new found friend would find much more freindly advice over at www.300zxclub.com or tt.net

Rod.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:15 AM
The Evil Twin

shut up Rod. I hate you!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Über User

hmm, i was gonna post "i love rod"....but can anyone else see why I shouldnt put those words together?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hmm, i was gonna post "i love rod"....but can anyone else see why I shouldnt put those words together?
datz fer gays

Quick Reply: head gasket