300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

clutch pedal malfunctioning

Old 04-23-2005, 11:03 PM

clutch pedal malfunctioning

Hi,

I'm have a clutch issue with my '84 300zx. Over the past week the clutch pedal has had about 3" of no resistance before the pedal finally started to disengage the engine. So in other words, the pedal was nearing the end of its travel before finally starting to engage and disengage the clutch. Anyway, yesterday I had a little trouble putting the car into gear from a standstill because the pedal wasn't quite fully disengaging the engine even when I had the pedal pressed to the floor, but I still managed to get home. This morning, however, the pedal went all the way to the floor with no resistance and without disengaging or engaging the engine. I checked the mechanical linkage inside the car and to the master cylinder, and checked the master cylinder and slave cylinder for any apparent leaks and didn't notice any. However, when I jacked the car up and watched the piston coming out of the slave cylinder, it barely moved when the pedal was pressed, and stopped when it touched the lever thingy coming out of the gearbox that presses on the pressure plate. So I'm hoping that its the slave cylinder that is bad (it is pretty rusty). Anbody have and guesses/advice as to what might be wrong? Thanks a ton you are all livesavers.

joelacer
Old 04-24-2005, 11:57 AM

it sounds SOUNDS like there may be an air bubble or low clutch fluid level...have you checked either of these two possibilties? first and foremost check the fluid level..the resevoir is in the rear corner under and to the right of the brake fluid resevoir..fill this up and leave the cap open and bleed the system of air...ill have to check my haynes manual on instructions on bleeding the system i cant tell you off the top of my head sorry...but this is what it sounds like..being as you checked for leaks already..and the part i believe youre talking about is the clutch release fork..it pulls the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate yaddayaddayadda...but either way do the fill and bleed and let me know how it goes
Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 AM

re: clutch pedal malfunctioning

Hey everyone I replaced the slave cylinder and the clutch fluid and now everything works fine, at least for now. Thanks a ton for all your help.

joelacer
Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 PM

welcome.

welcome dooood....