300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Big problem...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 PM

Big problem...

I have a 84' Nissan 300ZX NA.

Everyday I go to the university or some other far place, I start the engine and I let it warm up for 1-2 mins. Engine runs perfectly like new(its a VG30E rebuilt). Car runs good and have excellent horsepower. But after 5-7 minutes, I accelerate the car and it seems it starts to fail/backfiring a lot. It gives me the problem only when I accelerate.

The weird thing is that I turn off the engine and I start it again, and runs perfectly again but after 5-7 minutes, same problem.

I ran the codes and gave me only 3 1 >> A/C. I checked the cylinder head temperature sensor, the O2 sensor, fuel temp sensor(pressure its good too), I tried with another MAF and another ECU, I changed spark plugs, cables, distributor cap and the rotor, and I still have this problem.

When the car fails, it feels like a injector its not firing well or a spark plug doesnt working well or MAF sensor its bad. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I look foward to your replies
Old 04-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
plug wires, also, as well as your list----good luck----welcome to this world. there atre alot of smart z gurus here----enjoy yer stay.....and yer z31......i have 3 of them----fun to drive.....
Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 PM

maybe something with the fuel pump?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by CodeWarrior
I have a 84' Nissan 300ZX NA.

Everyday I go to the university or some other far place, I start the engine and I let it warm up for 1-2 mins. Engine runs perfectly like new(its a VG30E rebuilt). Car runs good and have excellent horsepower. But after 5-7 minutes, I accelerate the car and it seems it starts to fail/backfiring a lot. It gives me the problem only when I accelerate.

The weird thing is that I turn off the engine and I start it again, and runs perfectly again but after 5-7 minutes, same problem.

I ran the codes and gave me only 3 1 >> A/C. I checked the cylinder head temperature sensor, the O2 sensor, fuel temp sensor(pressure its good too), I tried with another MAF and another ECU, I changed spark plugs, cables, distributor cap and the rotor, and I still have this problem.

When the car fails, it feels like a injector its not firing well or a spark plug doesnt working well or MAF sensor its bad. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I look foward to your replies

I have the exact same problem, but if i warm it up just right, it runs fine. If i don't warm it up, it will bog the same exact way as yours. I havent figured out how to fix it yet, but im guessing that it might be the cold start valve/sensor (not completely sure if it even has one or the other). I will let you know if i fix it. If you figure it out, let me know too.