300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

aftermarket headers for 300zx Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:54 PM

aftermarket headers for 300zx Turbo

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find some headers for a 1985 300zx turbo. I checked google but couldnt find anything, also searched zdriver and Ebay. If i could find the headers i plan to custom make the rest for dual exhaust.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 PM
The Good Twin

You're kidding right? It's a TURBO.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:04 PM

I'm confused why would i be kidding? May have to excuse me I'm not the best car mechanic but i'm pretty good on dirtbikes.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by motoxracing909
I'm confused why would i be kidding? May have to excuse me I'm not the best car mechanic but i'm pretty good on dirtbikes.
If you installed a set of headers... you wouldn't have a turbo anymore.

A turbocharger receives its power from exhaust. Exhaust leaving the engine spins a turbine. That turbine is connected to another turbine that sucks air in, compresses it, and sends it to the throttle body... thus coining the term "forced induction."

To accomplish all that, you need a special manifold to connect the turbo. It looks like this:

A header looks like this (pic is Z32 headers... but you get the idea):

If you buy a set of headers... it won't have the flanges for a turbo... and then you "no have turbo... and no go fast."

Long story short... headers are for naturally aspirated engines. Some people have made larger custom turbo manifolds for the Z31... and I'm sure a search on the interwebnet will show you them. Wha!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Ok, so would there be a point in getting an aftermarket manifold for my turbo car?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:55 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Ok, so would there be a point in getting an aftermarket manifold for my turbo car?
no, no for the cost involved versus any possible gains. there are many other things you can do to get power out of yout turbo car. when you are putting down some seriously impressive numbers, and want that extra little bump, then think about it.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Über User

hey hey guys. come on.... they do make tubular turbo headers for turbo cars that look cool and help spool the turbo MUCH MUCH faster... however this being a V6 they probably dont make any. your best bet may be to port your current manifolds but might not be worth the work or time as it would be to just work at your job and get upgraded turbo or something similare.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Ok, one more question, do you know of anywhere that i could get dual exhaust for my car, or is it going to be best to just custom bend them myself?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:13 PM
The Good Twin

Ok, one more question, do you know of anywhere that i could get dual exhaust for my car, or is it going to be best to just custom bend them myself?
Dual exhaust tips or dual exhaust from the engine back? And why would you want dual exhaust anyway?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 PM

CM "may" have something .. I don't recall.

TSS developed a custom set up .. I think (at the time) available as a "kit" .. but as it's no longer in business .. I'm not sure he'd consider "on the side" work ..

Others here are probably more knowledgeable ..

Good luck ..
Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

why would you need dual exhaust on a z31??? a single exhaust is sufficient for that car. are you looking for performance, or just the appearance of performance. once again, there are better things to spend your money on.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
i wanted best flow possible for my z31 with high miles on engine----just make sure therte are no restrictions--one pipe is good--thats what i got--almost a coffee can--called bullet exhaust system--express muffler did it---and all went quite well-died at 244k due to oil pump fail......twin exhausts were made for z31--but not dual......twin came both same side==look cool. my turbos both have those. my normally aspirated z31 has single--i do not remember if it had twin or not....that was changed 3 yrs ago.....
unless it is crimped there is nothing wrong with single exhaust----they can flow just as well as dual.......

listen to the boys--they are smart--and you WILL find more important things to spend your money on----timing belts every 60k miles--EXACTLY--oil pump at 200k miles--or it will die before 250----i know.......i did not listen well--now i know.....listen well--these are sorta delicate cars in many ways.........enjoy--have fun--save yer dough for something serious--it WILL come up.....how many miles on yours??????

Last edited by z-hag; 01-26-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:14 AM

Not to get too specific .. but on turbos .. single inlet to muffler .. twin outlet ..

Not a true dual exhaust ..
Old 01-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
I've thought long & hard on that one, saw a guy called himself at the time "crab spirits" guy's a drifter, and he custom fab'd his own roll pan and did a bunch of really awesome stuff, anyway... that inspired me, and I thought about dual exhuast, so I turned to the aftermarket 350Z exhaust (not sure how well these things would function with a turbocharger, probably wouldn't do so well), but if you're interested in this route, there are two key elements you must think about, 1. having only one inlet into the system, 2. the system being compact enough to fit between the bumper & gas tank without creating heat issues for the fuel & paint. Good luck, if you've got the pocket for it, check out Amuse Exhaust, it's JDM, & expensive as hell, but worth it ..
Old 01-27-2007, 07:44 PM

"Crab Spirits" .. has an awesome Z .. currently being re-built I believe ..

"Crab Spirits" .. just 1 of his forum names ....
Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM

I was mainly in it for performance but i thought that it would look great as well. I decided to just stick to a single since i would have to come from a single to dual which would practically defeat the purpose. My car has currently about 141,000 miles on it, i have another engine with less that i might rebuild and drop it in later. Currently my car is stock other than msd ignition,wires,k&N drop in filter, and tokiko illumna suspension and suspension technique springs. I put a bleed to the atmosphere for the turbo but definatly didnt find the results i wanted so i'm going to get a manual boost controller. What should the next step be for my car?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Über User

hmmm.. boost controllers need support to.. you should get bigger injectors and tehn a new ECU tune that or an apex AFC-II to controll your fuel mapping more for the more boost your gonna have... otherwise your car will start to lean out you wont know it and KABOOM....
Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 PM
The Good Twin

I put a bleed to the atmosphere for the turbo but definatly didnt find the results i wanted so i'm going to get a manual boost controller. What should the next step be for my car?
"bleed to the atmosphere" is better known as a BOV (Blow Off Valve). It has a completely different job than a boost controller... so you shouldn't expect big results like a boost controller.

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hmmm.. boost controllers need support to.. you should get bigger injectors and tehn a new ECU tune that or an apex AFC-II to controll your fuel mapping more for the more boost your gonna have... otherwise your car will start to lean out you wont know it and KABOOM....
Bigger injectors along w/ a JWT tuned ecu is a large (good) step, but not required for a bit more "umph."

Motox... there are countless threads on ZDriver & all over the web that talk about getting more hp (best bang for your buck) from a Z31T. It's fine to discuss it here, but it really sounds like you need to just do some basic research & you'll find all your answers. A very good book to read is "Maximum Boost" I highly recommend it.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Über User

i read it... awsoem book... helped me write my 10 page essay compparing turbo chargers to superchargers.. and i know for a little more umph not neccessary.. but you should do it any ways... because we all know young people like my self once we got a boost controller we love turning the **** a little more see what happens... hmm... that was fun i wonder what happens with a little more... oooo fun... lets turn it MORE!!!! so you know... jsut a good idea.