ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/)
-   -   adding another turbo on a 1985 300zx single turbo (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-performance-technical-227/adding-another-turbo-1985-300zx-single-turbo-15355/)

motoxracing909 10-18-2005 08:33 PM

adding another turbo on a 1985 300zx single turbo

I wa swondering if it was possible to put another turbo on a single turbo 1985 300zx and if so how hard is it to do?

shawn86t 10-20-2005 04:20 AM

you need to make use of the old one first and get the car to start like normal lol. right, get an exhaust, add an intercooler, air filter change to somthing that flows, wind the boost upto 14 psi and you'll soon happy for a little while(guaranteed diffrence). Now when the time comes for more power, a turbo should be done in correspondance with a couple things like computer and injectors. thats where you need a little more money, so buy the ecu and install it, then buy the injectors and turbo at the same time.

AZ-ZBum 10-20-2005 10:54 AM

The FIRST thing you want to ask yourself is what your goals are with a new turbo. Do you want a faster spooling turbo? Do you want a dyno queen? Do you want a daily driver?

Then you size the turbo accordingly and decide if you need any different injectors, ECU, intake, exhaust.

You don't HAVE to swap anything when you only swap a turbo. But that depends on what turbo you plan on using.

motoxracing909 10-20-2005 01:24 PM

yeah good idea i was just wondering but i agreei s hould try the other things first i just thought it'd be cool to say yeah i have a twin turbo

entropy31 10-20-2005 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by motoxracing909
i just thought it'd be cool to say yeah i have a twin turbo

then buy a tt z32. it'll be easier and cheaper. the single turbo setup on the z31 provides ample room for horsepower. if you just want a twin turbo setup for bragging rights, you are wasting your money.

AZ-ZBum 10-20-2005 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by motoxracing909
yeah good idea i was just wondering but i agreei s hould try the other things first i just thought it'd be cool to say yeah i have a twin turbo

Oh god! This is your first turbo and first car, isn't it?

Go play what-ifs with the ricer crowd. When you want to actually do something, and have done any research, come back. But not until then.

Since you asked, you need:
new exhaust manifolds
new intake pipes
new exhaust pipes
a clue

Of which, you possess none of the above.

motoxracing909 10-20-2005 06:28 PM

no actually i have a 1998 toyota tacoma 4x4 i just ran accross this car for three hundred and fifty dollars

entropy31 10-20-2005 07:16 PM

how much do you know about working on cars? a turbo z is much more complex than your averege car. you cant just bolt a turbo on like with a honda. i say go ahead and get it, but dont be a ricer about it. modify it for true performance, not just to show off. if they only want $350 for it, i am going to assume that there are many issues that you are going to have to address before you even think about performance mods. if you dont have a near-perfect running car before you start moding, you will just end up with a ton of problems. i am not trying to discourage you from getting a z, just warning you that it may not be the quick and easy project you might believe it to be. if you do everything right, and carefully, you will have a wonderful sports car. if you cut corners and try to hurry it along, you will have a big mess.

shawn86t 10-21-2005 04:22 AM

true you can make more "usable" power with 2 little turbos but why do you think everyone gets bored of it and swaps to a single turbo? ie, supra, z32, gtr?

Answer: 3 exhaust to a little turbo, slap on a big turbo and wolah! you have massive lag due to 3 cylinders trying to spool one big turbo, whereas you have 6 cylinders trying to spool a large turbo it is more easier.

CanyonCarver 10-21-2005 06:41 AM

Just something for our beginner to think about....... There is alot of existing TT guys upgrading their stock T25's and headers and i/c's and ??????, so you could prolly find some used hardware in good shape to bolt-on a TT set-up.

But, like AZ-zbum said, you first need to get a clue. You need to learn the car and basic mechanics before upgrading.

motoxracing909 10-21-2005 11:51 AM

oh i know the basic stuff cause my dad is helping me and my friend joe who is a car mechanic. Actually this car runs great other than it runs a little rich for some reason all it needs is some shocks,struts, and springs and it will be good to go other than the paint job and carpet which i am putting in later as well ast he seat covers. i will post some pictures when i take them. I wasnt actually going to put a turbo on i was just bored and wondering if it was possible. The first thing iam putting on the car is basic stuff which consists of the suspension right now