ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Z31 N/a to turbo engine swap (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/z31-n-turbo-engine-swap-41797/)

86turbo 08-12-2016 04:26 PM

Z31 N/a to turbo engine swap

Ok I'll try this again.
I have a rusty old 1986 turbo automatic, and a clean 1984 n/a 5spd. I want to put the turbo engine into the 5spd car but I dont know what I will need to do it. I know I'll need the engine, crossmember, and engine mounts. But what else do I need? And for ECU's do I just unplug the n/a ecu and plug in the turbo ecu? and do I need to swap wiring harness's? If anyone knows, their help would be greatly appreciated as I want to get this done asap. Thanks. :023:

zxguy1986 08-12-2016 09:17 PM

Well, you came to the right place. :006: This topic has been handled many times on this site and it's all in the record here for you. The Z31 NA-to-Turbo swap isn't exactly 1-2-3 as you might hope but it can be done and has been done many times. You definitely want to read up on it so you are prepared for what will be required.

Pull down the FORUMS menu at the top of this page and click on Z31(300ZX). There, search for 'turbo swap' and start reading. Your Z is around 30 years old so you have years of questions and comments on it. Then come back here with specific questions you will have. Like I said, guys here have done it and will be happy to help you. Make sure you tell us which year Z31 you are talking about, auto or 5 spd, 2+2 or 2 seater, etc. They were not the same year to year and that makes a big difference in the answers you get. And photos are always better than none.

Good luck! :023:

86turbo 08-13-2016 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986 (Post 344744)
Well, you came to the right place. :006: This topic has been handled many times on this site and it's all in the record here for you. The Z31 NA-to-Turbo swap isn't exactly 1-2-3 as you might hope but it can be done and has been done many times. You definitely want to read up on it so you are prepared for what will be required.

Pull down the FORUMS menu at the top of this page and click on Z31(300ZX). There, search for 'turbo swap' and start reading. Your Z is around 30 years old so you have years of questions and comments on it. Then come back here with specific questions you will have. Like I said, guys here have done it and will be happy to help you. Make sure you tell us which year Z31 you are talking about, auto or 5 spd, 2+2 or 2 seater, etc. They were not the same year to year and that makes a big difference in the answers you get. And photos are always better than none.

Good luck! :023:

Thanks, I've already looked all over this forum and many other, most of the links people post are so old they dont even work anymore. All I'm looking for is a list of everything that I need to swap it

NismoPick 08-15-2016 06:55 AM

Is the list really the only thing keeping you from doing a swap? Because it sounds like you already know what you need... And I'm sure you've seen my posts in all your research...

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx...easseee-29363/

Originally Posted by NismoPick (Post 267714)
Have you ever done a motor swap or pulled a motor? For a first timer, it may be quite a job. The main things you need:
-COMPLETE VG30ET motor
-COMPLETE efi harness & computer
-Wiring diagrams for both the n/a and turbo
-Various fuel, coolant, and oil lines.

And yes, add cross member and left motor mount to that.

If you want things as "plug and play" as possible, you use everything turbo... if you don't, don't.

At some point in time you either need to pull the trigger, or give up. :)

86turbo 08-15-2016 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick (Post 344759)
Is the list really the only thing keeping you from doing a swap? Because it sounds like you already know what you need... And I'm sure you've seen my posts in all your research...

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx...easseee-29363/

And yes, add cross member and left motor mount to that.

If you want things as "plug and play" as possible, you use everything turbo... if you don't, don't.

At some point in time you either need to pull the trigger, or give up. :)

I'm not experienced at all with cars this is only my second/third car I've ever owned and I bought it so I can learn some stuff. I'm planning on just unplugging all the hoses and wires and stuff off the engine, pulling it, dropping the turbo engine in and hooking everything back up. and of course putting on the turbo crossmember and engine mount. Will there be anything missing or anything not connected if i swap the motors? Or do I need to buy any parts to get the turbo engine in? And the only thing holding me back right now is not having an engine lift. Planning on getting one soon. Also, what do I do with the turbo wiring harness? Is it just the engine wiring harness? And how do I swap them?
Thanks again