ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Voice (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/voice-478/)

Nick300zx 06-15-2001 02:54 PM

Voice

Man if any one of you can anser this then you dame good becuse iv asked every z and non z shop in florida this and know one knows ok here it goes i am installing a aftermarket cd player in my 1986 300zx n/a and i am running new wires to every thing the only thing that is hooked up to the car is the power and ground but i want to keep my voice (you know the one that tells me my lights are on and all that) how do i do this? is there a serten wire for the voice i have to splice in to my speakers? i would relly like to keep my lady talking so please help.

thanks
Nick

Spot 06-15-2001 07:35 PM

Re: Voice

I believe she's wired thru the front left door speaker. if you leave the front speakers wired stock, and just rewire the rears, she'll stick around.

AZ-ZBum 06-19-2001 08:08 PM

The voice is a seperate unit that is inline with the signal coming from the stereo to the front left speaker. When I put a new stereo in my car, I bought a wiring harness from Best Buy and ran new wires to the rear speakers only. I kept the voice. The box is actually located above and behind the ECU. It acts as a an interrupt when one of the sensors is triggered. It stops the signal (if any) and outputs one of its own. I am pretty sure it is only sent out at one level, so if you have a really loud stereo, you'd probably only hear the speaker cut out for a couple of seconds and not hear what she says because music will still come from the other 3 corners.

If you only replace the head unit and speakers, you can use the stock wiring for the most part. You will need to run new wires to the rear speakers because the factory unit uses a common ground for each side.

If you put in high power amps and want to run all new wires, you will have to locate the voice box and splice into the input and output wires for it. Get a manual and look at the connector for the voice box and use it as your guide.

Another option is to mount an extra speaker somewhere solely devoted to the voice warning system. Then all you have to do is find the wires that feed the signal to the speaker and tap into them. Problem here is that you won't hear it if the stereo is loud.

...and from the ashes shall rise a new hope. And it shall be known as "Z". And it will be good.

Z_MANIAC 06-20-2001 01:11 PM

Have you picked up a haynes manual? In the back end of the book they have a huge amount of wiring diagrams. You should be able to find the voice box layout in there somewhere, supposedly it has the wiring of the entire car diagramed in there. Haynes is very popular and you should be able to find them at a local auto store like AutoZone, Murrays, or whatever is in your area.

Matt Young
Previously: 84 300zx NA
Soon: 84-89 300zx Turbo
Soon as comes out: NEW Z!