ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Two Odd Sounds, what are they ? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/two-odd-sounds-what-they-28848/)

jrealmuto1 06-27-2009 11:07 PM

Two Odd Sounds, what are they ?

1. First sound iv heard since i got the car a while ago. When engaging in a gear or pressing the clutch, there is a *clunk* or shaft play sound. could that be u joints?

2. I changed my shocks out about two weeks ago and everything is good, but is as if something is moving around behind the plastic when i hit a bump,but there is nothing loose back there and the shocks are good. Could that be maybe a wheel bearing ? this just started today...

I checked my speaker and put new screws and still i hear the sound coming from the back left...

getting tired of spending money ha... :wasted:

BlueKitsune 06-27-2009 11:36 PM

1. Sounds like your differential mount is shot

As for 2, I dont really get what your trying to point out really...

SloppyGoat 06-30-2009 01:50 PM

Yep, mine clunked when I first got it, and it was the differential mount. As for problem #2, check your shock mounts at both ends. There's a rubber mount at the top of them that can make some noise if it's worn or cracked. If they're aftermarket shocks, some have a sleeve at the bottom that must be used. If that was not used, then they might be rattling around. The dude that replaced mine had to use some extra washers to shim them up a bit, or they would've made some noise. The directions that come with aftermarket shocks are not specific to our cars, so you have to improvise a little.

jrealmuto1 07-02-2009 12:05 PM

the 2nd sound was loose bolt on bottom of shock...now the other sound sounds like the ujoint maybe? its like i can be in nuetral and put it in reverse and the clunkin sound happens....

jrealmuto1 07-02-2009 12:07 PM

its kinda hard to explain ... i can just push the clutch in and the clunking sound happens, but its hardest when i put in reverse...its as if there was slack in the drive shaft...

SloppyGoat 07-14-2009 05:45 PM

Did you check the drive shaft?

jrealmuto1 07-14-2009 05:54 PM

yea u joints good but this happens mainly sitting still, some driving

SloppyGoat 07-18-2009 11:10 PM

Not sure what it could be without actually hearing it. Can you record it?

jrealmuto1 07-19-2009 09:03 AM

ill have to one day...but its when i put the clutch, as if something is engaging and disengaging but its a clunkk

SloppyGoat 07-20-2009 07:40 PM

You might have some play in the input shaft bearing, or something. Sounds more like a trans issue.

jrealmuto1 07-22-2009 03:34 PM

thats what im thinking...what exactly is the that? i dont know much about trans.

jverz 07-22-2009 03:50 PM

try some tests. lift the back of the car so the tires can spin freely.

with the engine running and the tranny in neutral do you hear the sound?
does the sound change based on the clutch being engaged or not?
put the tranny in gear and slowly let the clutch out. how does that affect the sound?
shift to second and slowly let the clutch out.. does the frequency of the sound increase?

If the sound isn't there when the wheels aren't turning then it likely has absolutely nothing to do with the driveshaft. if you think it's the driveshaft, get under the car, spin the rear wheels, and try to listen for the sound

jrealmuto1 07-22-2009 05:02 PM

lifting the car up it still does it, no shaft play,i have a feeling its the throwout bearing. and i also have a feeling its gonna be time to replace the factory oem 1987 clutch haha.

SloppyGoat 07-23-2009 08:07 PM

I'm still using the factory clutch at 106K. It still feels perfect. No sign of slip or weakening or anything yet. Knock on wood! I took it up to 135MPH today, just for kicks. :biggrin: I think it's time to clip the limiter wire. I might want to see what the top end is one of these days. It was still accelerating when I ran out of room. I definitely need to do my brakes! They faded pretty badly braking hard from 135MPH.

jrealmuto1 07-25-2009 07:47 AM

limiter wire? lol theres A limiter wire?

SloppyGoat 07-25-2009 11:23 AM

Yep, it keeps it from going over 137MPH...clip it and it disables the speed limiter.

jrealmuto1 07-25-2009 10:47 PM

ummmmmmmm, where is this magical wire lol

SloppyGoat 07-28-2009 08:51 PM

It's the purple one that goes to the ECU - #29. This isn't actually an accurate description. This guy isn't all that knowledgeable, apparently. It's not the rev limiter it disables, but it does disable the speed limiter.

http://www.zeeyalater.net/mods.htm#revlimiter

Oh yeah, BTW, this is only for turbo's, I think. IIRC, the NA doesn't have a speed limiter. I guess they figured the turbo drivers are more likely to abuse them?

jrealmuto1 07-29-2009 07:48 AM

ok, i was kinda wondering being that iv have mine passed 140 , thats why i kinda asked in a stupid way...