ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Trying to find original key code for my car (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/trying-find-original-key-code-my-car-42666/)

patx35 08-25-2018 03:48 AM

Trying to find original key code for my car

So when I got my 1985 300ZX, I only got a copy of a key. The key is slightly bent and I don't want to use it if I can. I would like to make an original cut key from the dealer, but the dealer at my area said that they can't look up my car since it's too old. However, they said that if I can somehow find the key code for my car, they can make a new original key based off that code.

I did my own research, but I have several issues. The glove box in my car has been removed (previous owner tried doing "weight reduction"), so I can't get the key code from there. Various forum posts mentioned that I can get the key code by looking at the lock cylinder. I took off the hatch lock cylinder and it seems like it didn't have anything. I took off the door lock cylinder and I can't find anything either. It might have something on it, but I can't tell if I'm just seeing numbers from the pitted surface. The forum posts says that the lock cylinder would start with a "X" followed by 4 numbers, but I didn't see anything on both lock cylinder. I didn't check the ignition cylinder nor the passenger lock as it was getting dark outside. Am I missing something, or did I completely overlook something?

patx35 08-25-2018 06:25 AM

Quick edit, I checked the driver side door lock cylinder, but I haven't check the passenger side yet.

zxguy1986 08-25-2018 06:39 AM

I have been getting duplicate Z31 keys made for years - without any key codes. You need a competent locksmith with the correct blanks. I never had a problem. When I lost my T-top key, I left the T-top with him and he took out the cylinder to fit a new key to it. As long as you have a key that fits, it can be duplicated. :006:

patx35 08-25-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986 (Post 347593)
I have been getting duplicate Z31 keys made for years - without any key codes. You need a competent locksmith with the correct blanks. I never had a problem. When I lost my T-top key, I left the T-top with him and he took out the cylinder to fit a new key to it. As long as you have a key that fits, it can be duplicated. :006:

Can I leave just the lock cylinder with the locksmith then?

patx35 08-25-2018 07:42 PM

Solution

I've brought over the hatch lock cylinder (it was the easiest to remove and install) along my old key copy to the local locksmith. They were able to decode the key code from the lock cylinder and wrote it down along with making two original cut keys. I got the new keys for a great price and I can get a Nissan key from the key code if I want to.

Qaanaaq-Liaaq 09-07-2018 09:45 AM

A z31 key no. is a 4 digit number preceded by a letter “X” that’s printed on a sticker mounted to the interior of the glove compartment box. But like you said, you don’t have a glove compartment.

Nissan keeps detailed records on each and every car sold in the U.S. They know what the key no. is for your car.The problem is that because your car is 33 years old, the data has been archived and they probably don’t want to bother looking it up because of the time and expense to look it up for you.

I’ve had Nissan dealerships make keys for me but not recently. The parts dept. guy did it.I watched him.He used a hand held non-power key cutting tool.There were levers on the key cutter that he set according to the 4 digit number. So, I’m wondering if he can make a key using the 4 digit code, then he might be able to reveal a key code by using the reverse process?By placing your key into the cutter and then setting the levers to fit your key’s notches, he can see what the code is.Ask him.Your key is slightly bent but maybe it can be straightened out with pliers.

Otherwise, like what others said above, see a locksmith.

davidedwin 02-23-2019 08:43 AM

Seeing a locksmith for that issue is good but for getting the original car key, i would prefer dealership instead getting locksmith services. They have proper tools and software for key issues.

FrancesHolland 05-10-2019 06:59 AM

Leaving the cylinder to the locksmith isn't the only way to get new key , i think contacting dealer in that case might be the better idea.

patx35 05-10-2019 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the replies, but as I stated earlier, my local Nissan dealership isn't able (or isn't willing) to look up the key code for my car because it's considered too old. That's why I ended up taking the hatch lock cylinder to the local locksmith to have them decode it. The locksmith cut me two fresh sets of keys and they also gave me a key code if I ever wanted a genuine Nissan key from the dealership.

HarryPickford 05-13-2020 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by patx35 (Post 347596)
Can I leave just the lock cylinder with the locksmith then?

Yes, leave all the work to the locksmith and they will replace the lock cylinder for you.

justinkatherine 06-11-2020 05:28 AM

I have called locksmith yonkers and ask them to make a duplicate key for me, they have provided me the key within two days.

BrianTroutman 09-25-2020 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by davidedwin (Post 347982)
Seeing a locksmith for that issue is good but for getting the original car key, i would prefer dealership instead of getting locksmith services. They have proper tools and software for key issues.

Why to spend a lot of money on a dealership if you get the new car key at cheap from an auto locksmith store near.

James Thunderso 11-26-2020 06:49 AM

Some of the locksmith’s work includes installation of window locks, security systems, digital locks and car door locks. You can contact locksmith reston for knowing the key code of your car lock.

John2552 01-17-2021 05:00 PM

One day I decided to open the doors without automation and I redesigned the system to open the doors manually. Then I had a problem I couldn't start the car properly. It was really a very bad surprise for me after the renovation. I solved the issue only through locksmiths, I found Guaranteed Locksmiths through my colleagues at work. The locksmiths made me a new starter and key. There I met a man with your problem. The problem is completely like you and he made a new code through some programs. They took his keys apart and reprogrammed them along with the car. This is cheaper than going to the dealer.