ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   TIRES (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/tires-3836/)

BUSSMAN 10-15-2002 08:18 PM

TIRES

NEED SOME INPUT::I HAVE A 1988 300ZX, DAILY DRIVER (75 MPH OR FASTER COMMUTE),AND I LIVE IN WESTERN WAHINGTON--IT RAINS--ALOT.ANY GOOD IDEAS ON A TIRE? THE GOODYEAR HP'S THAT CAME WITH THE CAR SUCK.PUT AQUA TREDS ON THE WIFES CAR THAT SEEM TO BE FINE FOR HER BUT THEY DON'T HAVE THE SPEED RAITING I WAS LOOKING FOR.(AND YES,IF IT GETS TOO CRAPPY OUT I DRIVE MY 4X4 DODGE P.U.)ANY INTERESTING IDEAS APPRECIATED

AZ-ZBum 10-15-2002 09:34 PM

Re: TIRES

Would you PLEASE not type in all caps? It's considered yelling and rude, and it's hard to read.

http://zbum.nissanpower.com

BUSSMAN 10-16-2002 06:39 PM

I am so sorry. I did not know we where so into etiquite. It is apparant your ego precides you. Simple question, simple answer next time, please.

BreakbeatBob 10-16-2002 09:19 PM

The word is ettiquite, and typing in all capitals makes it more difficult to read a message than it should be.
how easy is this to read not easy is it typing in all lowercase without punctuation is also hard to read you have to scan the paragraph multiple times and reread a lot of the words to find the end of one sentence and the begining of the next
And to answer your question, I don't know any good rain tires.

<font color=blue>.:Robert:.</font color=blue>

XXtacy 10-16-2002 10:25 PM

Funny.. Comes with a request... And then is upset...... Hmmmmm....

AZ-ZBum 10-17-2002 12:16 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I am so sorry. I did not know we where so into etiquite. It is apparant your ego precides you. Simple question, simple answer next time, please.

<hr></blockquote>

etiquette
apparent
precedes

Ego? No. I'm always an azz. To answer your question now....

I have no clue. I live in Arizona. Rain? What's that. Why not talk with your tire local tire shop.

Or.....

Goto http://www.tirerack.com and start their questionaire. Very informative. Helps you choose tires based on driving conditions. Whoa.... They even have reviews from actual people who've bought.... Nice.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

http://zbum.nissanpower.com

BUSSMAN 10-17-2002 09:53 PM

I find tire rack of little help. They tend to be biased towards certain brands. (just try shiftting your search abit some time)
What I was looking for was real life driving experience from z drivers.Tire store people tend to be just salesmen,with little knowledge other than what has been handed to them in a catalog.Not to say all fall into this catagorie, but many do. There isn't even a A.S.E. classification for them. Even parts people and auto body tech have that much respect. (And auto tech's like myself)

Sama3d 10-18-2002 12:23 PM

yea AZ is always an ass, its in his nature to be one. :)

Ghostz 10-20-2002 10:37 PM

I loved the potenzas that were on my 86zx (sniff, miss em)

XXtacy 10-21-2002 04:57 AM

I love the TypeO that is on my car. I've abused them like crazy and they have lasted longer than any other tire I've had. Need to find where I can get some.

chukker 10-21-2002 08:40 AM

I've had several sets on my '87 Turbo. Started with Goodyear Eagles and switched to some Yokohamas I got at Sears. They dry-rotted and Sears made a great adjustment on some Dunlop 5000's. That was a very nice tire but not one that I enjoyed in the wet-stuff. I'm on another set of Yokohamas that I got at Sears. They run very nicely in the rain and at speed. They were fairly reasonable in price. I don't take my Z in the snow anymore since I have 4x4 for that.

As for Tire Rack leading you to certain brands, unless some of us are weekend racers and go through 20 sets of tires a year, just who did you think was going to respond to your post that has as much experience as a tire shop? I run the same tires for 20-40k miles because I can't afford to do anything else. I've put close to 140k on my Z over the years and I'd still look to my local tire dealer for suggestions. They are the guys who stand behind what they sell, not some anonymous pogue on the net.

Spudz 10-21-2002 09:17 AM

Bussman,
I have a friend over in Renton who is running on Bridegstone S-03 Pole Positions
and swears by them in the rain. He took of the factory tires on his Maxima and
out them on . I have heard similar stories from others on the Bridgestone.
A few tire stores give you a trial drive on certain tires. I know Les Schwab and
Toyo give you miles or time on their tires to decide if you like them.

84AEinPA 11-24-2002 02:39 PM

Hello;
You're looking for a good rain tire for a performance car. Performance tires, as you probably already know, are best for dry surfaces. However, there are good rain tires out there for performance cars. I am not pushing one brand or the other. I've had Pirellis, Bridgestones, Michelins, Yokohamas, and Firestones. They all worked well, and all make good wet performance tires.

The advice I'm giving you is based on experience, both theoretical and hands on. You will have to go to your local tire place and see the prospective tires you may want to buy to find the right one.

Here is what I would look for if I wanted good wet performance. First, a unidirectional tire. Many makers have these. Get one with either a solid tread in the center, or one like the Aquatred. Second, sipes (VERY IMPORTANT). Not all manufactures make tires with sipes. Sipes are little cuts that go through the tread. Good sipes go all the way down. These sipes sqeeze out water like little squegees. You want to remove water from your path and sipes do more of this than people think. Some manufactures save money by not putting sipes or only putting sipes in the first 2/32nds so that you have excellent traction for the first five thouand miles, but lose traction as these sipes disappear from wear. Again, get sipes that go all the way down. A high performance tire does not have sipes because, as I stated earlier, high performance tires are made for dry pavement. Third, a tire that DOES NOT have a high treadwear rating (UTQG rating ---these ratings a government standards---they are written on the sidewall of every tire and on a sticker of every new tire. A tire with a UTQG of 400 is simply too hard. Think of a rubber ball in your wet hands...it becomes too slippery when wet...same thing for tires with a high treadwear rating. Also, look for traction A or AA only, however, most tires in your size/class will be A or AA). Anything above 400 will probably be a hard tire, that is a harder rubber compound. This also means that a lower treadwear rating will not last as long. But, treadwear between 275 and 400 should last about 30,000 miles if you keep your car in good shape (proper alignment, frequent rotations, etc). Lastly, don't expect any tire to keep you on the road at 70 plus miles an hour when going through a small lake, but, a tire like the one I described should give you good wet performance without sacrificing dry performance or ride. Look for these characterics and a speed rating of S (112MPH) or T (118MPH). These speed ratings will be enough for your everyday commute. Don't spend anymore than $115 per tire not including balancing. Check tirerack.com and see if your local tire shop will match their prices including shipping. Sears did it for me. Hope that helps.

Raphael A. Sanchez