ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Thoughts on engine swap (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/thoughts-engine-swap-40849/)

10secondimports 04-23-2015 06:36 PM

Thoughts on engine swap

I have a 1987 Nissan 300zx with the stock z31 turbo in it. I was thinking of engine swapping a z32 twin-turbo if I can make sure it fits. what other engines would work well (seen/done)?

zxguy1986 04-23-2015 07:16 PM

Welcome to ZDriver! :006:

Your question has been a topic before - many times - so the archives are loaded with threads on it. The Z32 swap you mention is not so easy as it sounds on paper - but that has also been discussed before. Worth looking up and coming back with a more specific proposal for your situation.

Check out your factory service manuals - freebies - at XenonZ31 Reference and XenonZ32.com Reference and other docs. Maybe you can get familiar with the engines where the fit is practical and do-able.

Also check out the following, too. Thanks and welcome again :icon_super:

ZBUM's New Nissan Z31 300ZX Frequently Asked Questions
ZBUM's Z31 300ZX Modifications Link Page
ZBUM's New Nissan Z31 300ZX Frequently Asked Questions
TURBO FAQ: MODIFYING A SERIES I 300ZX TURBO FOR SPEED
XenonZ31 Modifications

Skully 04-23-2015 07:42 PM

What would be your reasoning for the swap? Lack of power? Engine is fkd? Just because?

vg30 Turbo platform is not bad at all. If it is in good shape, there is options out there to get good power without a swap. If you spend as much money into the engine, as you would with say a z32 TT swap, you would net similar HP, and on new parts. I honestly think it would be a waste of your time and money to swap something like that in. Unless money is no issue, and you really want the z31.

Here, start reading. Edit: looks like zxguy already sent you in the right direction
ZBUM's Z31 300ZX Engine Swap Page

10secondimports 04-24-2015 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skully (Post 340487)
What would be your reasoning for the swap? Lack of power? Engine is fkd? Just because?[/url]

Sorry I wasn't more specific, the engine in there could be fkd. hard to tell as of now. So basically I recently sold my rare nismo 2007 350z (bad idea) because I am planning to get a 2015 nismo 370z this upcoming summer, but in the mean time I purchased a sweet 1987 nissan 300zx turbo as a project car, the previous owner said it may need a new engine and after doing some basic spark/compression tests and changing the fluids/battery I am having a hard time finding out whats wrong. (its trying to turn over and the belts are going) so to continue working on it I would more than likely have to remove the engine. My thoughts on the engine swap were to switch the auto transmission (with shift kit) to manual along with a possible bigger engine. (used to 372hp). Its a beautiful car with so much potential.
Thanks for the advice :)