300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

NA2T Swap and Auto to Manual Swap HELP!!!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 PM

NA2T Swap and Auto to Manual Swap HELP!!!!!

hey everyone i am new around here and i really need everyones help. so a earlier this year i bought myself a 86 z31 that is NA and Automatic, now thats no fun, so i decided to do a swap. NA to turbo and auto to manual. So i managed to find a 1984 50th AE that is completely rusted out and rotten, but the the turbo engine and manual transmission was still there and is working. i have managed to take out the motor and transmission and ECU all at once in the 50th AE, but i want to know what other things i would need to take out in order to bring it to the other car to make it work. my questions are, would i need the turbo wiring harness or should the NA harness work, and will i need the wiring harness for my transmission. also i took out my clutch peddle and the hydraulic lines but i did notice there were 2 connectors connected to the clutch pedal assembly. ultimately i would like to know if i need to grab any wirings from the donor car. if anyone has done this swap please help me out. I am going to be getting rid of the 50AE because i have no room for it so i want to grab everything that i need before that i do.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM

I personally have done a manual swap and am about to take on the NA2T swap (swapping turbo parts on an NA motor)

Shouldn't need any wiring for the transmission but when I removed my auto, I left the gear position sensor in the engine bay so the starter would engage but thats it (kinda use it as an anti theft kill switch from time to time too). The only thing the Manual transmission uses for wiring is the backup light switch, and maybe speedo depending on year.

For the turbo swap you will need to pull the engine crossmember in order for there to be clearance for the turbocharger. Only way around this is to buy a relocation pipe which starts at $400

NA wire harness should work fine, but will loose the pre-detonation sensor for the turbo ECU. Not that big of a deal for most people as they claim it only works under 3K RPM

Not quite sure what exactly you mean by "i took out my clutch peddle and the hydraulic lines but i did notice there were 2 connectors connected to the clutch pedal assembly." Are these hydraulic connectors or electrical? When I performed my manual swap I do not recall seeing two hydraulic lines off it. If they are electrical, they are most likely cruise control and starter inhibitor switches.

Depending on how you approach the pedal situation, you may want to pull the brake pedal to allow clearance for the clutch. A lot of people will just cut the pedal thats there but I personally replaced it with the manual one.

Im sure theres more but this is at least a start. Check out XenonZcar.com There should be a full write up there along with a parts list.

Last edited by Monkies; 11-09-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM

1 thought ,what are you going to say when insuring it , when asked if it is a turbo, and auto trans ,because by the VIN they know it came the other way
Old 12-16-2018, 12:00 PM

Im not an expert on this but if you have not figured this out yet they wont be able to know what engine and transmission you have in the car they look for the vin thats on the body of the car i dont think they would send someone out or take any precautions to make sure that you have matching engine vin as well, just tell them its an NA Automatic and it should make your insurance a hell of a lot cheaper.