300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Possible first time buying, Have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Thumbs up Possible first time buying, Have a few questions

Hi all,

Theres a high mileage (atleast 200k) 1988 Z31 Non-turbo, automatic, with T-Tops that I can swoop up for around $500. I love the idea of these cars (RWD, V6, T-Tops, potential for performance) so I am strongly considering it.

I've yet to drive it (probably will this week) but It apparently does NOT like to reverse on an incline. I heard it reverses on a straight no problem but on an incline it is very "bad". Looked like it was leaving some tire skid marks while trying. If I get this I'll obviously change oil and see what happens, but is this a common problem with the auto? I heard it runs fine in Drive, but I will drive it later.

With 200k+, its obviously getting up there. I would plan to make it a turbo later on, but for now would like it just to get me A-B without hassle. I heard timing chains are essential for these cars so would look into that, but is there anything else I should especially look for engine/tranny/rear end wise?

Also appears to have a steering rack leak. Appears to be higher up (above the rack) so is this a common/cheap fix?

I will look at it much more thoroughly this week and test drive it, but I'm just trying to do some quick research.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM

the 88 z31 with a VG30 v6 has a timing belt. you are going to want to replace the waterpump and bypass hose check the idler pulley bearings too if they are very old . I would put it on a lift to take a long look & check out the whole car, brakes function ,rear end , axles & boots , radiator & cooling system .
motor runs good huh?

is the trans ATF fluid dark ,smell burnt ? slips in reverse ? fluid level good?
likely rebuild time $$$$ if you are want to turbo charge it would be better on a manual really just find a z31 turbo

usually the P/S was the rack seals but you may have a pressure hose leak
$550 sounds like a steal if only for parts , wonder if it was parked because of a big problem?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 86tcoupe
the 88 z31 with a VG30 v6 has a timing belt. you are going to want to replace the waterpump and bypass hose check the idler pulley bearings too if they are very old . I would put it on a lift to take a long look & check out the whole car, brakes function ,rear end , axles & boots , radiator & cooling system .
motor runs good huh?

is the trans ATF fluid dark ,smell burnt ? slips in reverse ? fluid level good?
likely rebuild time $$$$ if you are want to turbo charge it would be better on a manual really just find a z31 turbo

usually the P/S was the rack seals but you may have a pressure hose leak
$550 sounds like a steal if only for parts , wonder if it was parked because of a big problem?
I work at a dealership so this was a trade in. They dont want it in their fancy front court so its a steal for me.

Drove it round the block today, it was fine in reverse. Not sure what the previous driver was on about. Started up fine first time (cold) and was idling around 1100rpm. SOUNDED fine at that level but I believe that is high for this right?

No rust whatsoever. TTops in great shape. Even has the TTop window "blinds" too. It has a valve cover and maybe oil pan leak but I plan to replace it anyway.

No ball joint or tie-rod play. I think its a steal.

Trans fluid was quite dark, so thats an obvious job to do. I have to smog it but the air filter hose (from the filter element box) is torn so I will look for a junk yard remedy this weekend, smog it, then buy it!

Also, theres a Nissan plaque saying timing belt was changed in 2002. I would assume I should look into doing it again (didnt catch a mileage with the date)
Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM

One problem I do have is that the brake lights are inoperative. Taillights work, so I'm guessing its a brake light switch. Will replace and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 300 Zed X
One problem I do have is that the brake lights are inoperative. Taillights work, so I'm guessing its a brake light switch. Will replace and see what happens.
If anyone was wondering, the PO took out the fuse for the brake lights. Plugged a new one in, and they stay on. Did some research and ordered the rubber stoppers for between the brake peddle/brake light switch.

Would imagine it to be resolved.