300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

New to the forums

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:04 PM

New to the forums

But not to the z31's About this same time last year i purchased my first 300zx z31 for 1200. It was an 86 n/o with 200k on it with tons of maintenance done to it. The body on it was pretty bad though. It had a good amount of power left in it and was a blast to drive. Long story short, Ive driven it around for the past year. It was very reliable, but I was ready for something nicer. Just recently i started looking around for cars with a little higher budget and came across a "Gem" ) For just 4000$$!!!! It is a gorgeous 1986 zx turbo! It has about 136k on it with only 6k on a rebuilt top end, and 6k on the rebuilt stock turbo. The body was almost flawless! 5-speed, set of Illuminas (which i have on my previous z31 XD), beautifully reupholstered seats, poly bushings already done, Z32 wheels w/ spacers(I honestly prefer the sawtooth, if one of them hadn't gotten eatten up by the studs, I'd swap 'em), And just pristine all around.
It has digi dash thought, so im going to have to swap that in the future. It also needs an oil pressure sending unit >.< and it either has a vacuume leak or it needs a new auto climate controller. I think its in fail safe mode as it only blows from defrost (and also the pass floor). Oh and he took Betty out!!!!! Wtf mate? Well I'll be pulling that from my old zx, lol

So what do you guys think?
P.S. Any ideas where i should check for the vacuume leak? Iv'e been told to check by the water ****?

And now one to "Before" and "After" pics
Attached Thumbnails New to the forums-imag0401.jpg   New to the forums-imag0400.jpg   New to the forums-imag0403.jpg   New to the forums-5gf5k15hb3gc3ld3fdc7v17b17099626b116b.jpg   New to the forums-5i15l75jd3ee3le3i6c7vaf8a4749f4fd1e5c.jpg  

New to the forums-5kf5fb5me3gd3m53i3c7v0b726b8d50d716b7.jpg   New to the forums-5n65if5f73ka3lc3jdc7vbf557db7dc101f09.jpg   New to the forums-5ne5g45e53eb3f13m3c7vf62ef7d53cf71834.jpg   New to the forums-20120920_145031.jpg  

Last edited by blackout08; 09-20-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Betty

Betty is probably still there, she is on the left channel feed on the original speaker setup, something that needs to be reconnected if an after market stereo is installed (something I still need to do on mine). Just connect the left lead from the original wiring to a speaker and she will be back to bitching you out.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
Betty is probably still there, she is on the left channel feed on the original speaker setup, something that needs to be reconnected if an after market stereo is installed (something I still need to do on mine). Just connect the left lead from the original wiring to a speaker and she will be back to bitching you out.

I will be trying this tonight when i get of work. She's my better half THANKS!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM

ZBums Thread How do I hook "Bitching Betty" back up?
Please note this only applies to the 84-86 GL and GLL models. The easiest way is to use the original wire for the front left speaker. Simply run the output of the stereo or amplifier to the origin of the speaker wires (84 and GL = behind the stereo, 85-89 GLL = under passenger seat). Then reconnect the original speaker leads in the door to your speakers.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 PM

Well the radio wasn't working so I decided to pull it, and at the same time check my wiring. So you were right, the previous owner ran new wires to all speakers. And fortunately it was just a faulty deck, so now i have a working radio. Tomorrow i'll try and hook betty up, via under pass seat. Btw, am i going to get much of a sound difference only have the front left hooked up to factory amp and the rest straight from the deck to the speakers?

Last edited by blackout08; 09-01-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 AM

xtra speaker

You can hide an extra speaker under the dash or seat to handle Betty, so you don't mess with your stereo setup. I haven't tried it , but you might be able to have one speaker do double duty with Betty tied into a live speaker from your stereo, but that might cause a short. Any old small speaker could handle Betty duties, since its just voice, even an old PC speaker would work nicely.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 AM

reference. this should have the wiring info you might need, you can download a free Factory Service Manual here, if you don't already have one XenonZ31 Reference
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Wiring Diagram

Here's a pic of the circuit for you, slow morning
Attached Thumbnails New to the forums-betty.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
Here's a pic of the circuit for you, slow morning
I actually have the DEALERSHIP repair books (thousands of pages of pure bliss!!!) for my z so i have all wiring diagrams XD i was staring at it for a few hours last night with no luck. I think im going to use your idea and use a stand alone speaker for Betty, i have 2 days days off coming up so im going to get a few things fixed up. Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

as you can see from the schematic it is just a relay that diverts audio from the radio with audio from betty. when betty is not active the sound system is normal. vacuum hoses you need to trace them back from the vac tank. Is the vac pump working? you should hear it start up when key in start. under the right front inboard of the tire. From the manifold you have a white stripe tube (if original still in place) that goes to port M on the vac tank. Blue stripe to the heater inlet valve. Red stripe goes to the cabin. the large port is for the cruise control. the blue port has the wires going to it which go to the heater valve. this stupid program doesn't want to load pics because it says I loaded them to another post.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

vacuum tank pics

lets try the pic thing again still doesn't work program is crap
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Hehe Rogerz

I think you mashed two posts together, you went from Betty to vacuum lines, which I'm pretty sure she doesn't use. Was worth a good chuckle though... thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

there is a period between betty and vac tank which in normal english means end of sentence start a new one
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Ah, sorry Rogerz, had to read original question again, Blackout was having vacuum issues also. My bad Bud. I humbly apologize. Didn't mean to have fun at your expense
Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Finally glad to see you registered on deez forums Matt

Also, this car IS a blasty to ride in, spools up quick, and looks friggin spectacular

I do suggest you get a windshield visor so that you don't have to be peeled off of the new leather seats after they've been soaking in the sun

Either way, finally glad you came to xD

Soon, we shall have some BOSS stunting and rolling pics to show off

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 09-04-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Finally glad to see you registered on deez forums Matt

Also, this car IS a blasty to ride in, spools up quick, and looks friggin spectacular

I do suggest you get a windshield visor so that you don't have to be peeled off of the new leather seats after they've been soaking in the sun

Either way, finally glad you came to xD

Soon, we shall have some BOSS stunting and rolling pics to show off

It been awhile since i have had time to post. You would think that since its leather it would get pretty bad, but actually the leather is so soft, for some reason it doesn't get too hot. Don't know why, but every now and then it gets a little hot, but bearable, and this is in 105 degree weather in direct sun t-tops off.
Here pretty soon I'm going to have to pull the dash and start checking vacuum lines ( Also I'm pretty sure the heater core needs so work... And to add to the pile of "also"s I'm fairly certain I'm going to have to get it timed. I don't think its bad, but I'm running really rich, and it shakes on idle (not bad, but its still there.) Fun stuff..... Overall, I'm still extremely happy with my purchase though. I looovvvezzz it!
Planning on a digi dash color change when i pull the dash!

(updated pic of my seat upolstery job for better viewing of their amazingness!)

Last edited by blackout08; 09-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Well i got bad news today. I have been running pretty rich in the past week, slightly smoking from my tailpipe, and have been slowly loosing power?.... I took it to a shop to have it checked out and it seems that im losing compression becuase of a leak in my top end. Oh boy, so i guess its time to rebuild the heads.... It had a full top end rebuild back in 2010 from the previous owner and im starting to wonder how he drove it or if he even broke it in..... Either way he wasting 1200 getting it rebuilt then tearing it up, and now its my problem. Im too attached to it by now to let it go so im going to go ahead and get it rebuilt. I figure since the engine is coming out anyways, i might as well have the bottom end built up as well, lets say.... Forged internals?... I guess this is just the excuse ive been looking for to have an engine built, but i was just hoping it would be quite so soon. Any thoughts?