300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?

Hey everyone, back again with yet another issue with my Z :\ so the new addition to the long line of repairs is now, Lifter tick. I am almost 100% positive I have a hydraulic lifter stuck etc.

I just was wondering if anyone has ever done this job on this forum? and if so I have read the FSM and other posts about this in various places, but is it absolutely possible to remove and replace these lifters without removing the cylinder head? I'm not really one to want to remove the timing belt / cam gears etc. to do so :\ so if someone can shed some light on this for me, whether it be how to remove the lifters effectively or just a simple answer if they can be done this way, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 PM

Hello, I have just joined the forum, and the following pictures are from a 1984 300ZX 2 + 2, Non Turbo, automatic. The motor was taken apart and removed from the car, due to damage to cylinder heads (cam lobe wear, both heads were warped beyond tolerance levels, along with head gasket failures) and a crack was found in the left side exhaust manifold. This was due to excessive over heating.
Any way, these pictures show, that for this 84 year model, the hydraulic lifters can be removed without taking off the cylinder head. The cylinder heads on mine, were removed to get to the head gaskets and then the heads were sitting on my work bench. You will see the sequence of removal. The last picture shows the lifters hanging down underneath the center section. They are removed, out from the bottom. You will see in another picture, after the rocker arms are removed, that there are very small white electrical wire ties pulled tight around the top of each lifter shaft. I put a small washer on each, before the electrical tie was installed. This arrangement allows you to lift the assembly up without all the lifters falling down through the assembly. It is critical that you do not let them fall over onto their side or turn upside down or you will introduce air bubbles inside of the Hyd lifter. Follow the FSM as to the proper steps for removal, installation and air removal I followed the FSM steps, so I could diagnose condition of the head parts. Ultimately, I decided, to purchase a newly remanufactured long block, due to the amount of damage and the cost of repairing the original engine. Hope this gives you some ideas. Again I am not sure what year engine you have. Good luck, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn4824.jpg   Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn6312.jpg   Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn6313.jpg   Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn6314.jpg   Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn6315.jpg  

Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn6316.jpg   Lifter Tick? Noisy Possibly Stuck Lifters?-dscn6317.jpg