ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Falls flat on face. Fuel issue? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/falls-flat-face-fuel-issue-41787/)

EaZyDriver 08-09-2016 07:46 AM

Falls flat on face. Fuel issue?

Hey everybody,
I've got a huge question and not sure how to explain the problem. My car will start and fuel pump kicks on but if i dont give her gas she sputters and dies out but over 2,000rpm it respondes to every push of the throttle. It cant be the fuel pump obviously since it kicks on so is it my sending unit? Orrr.
I'm stumped and need the communities help I love my car and haven't been able to drive it for a minute since this problem. She ran great when she was working properly.

Bobs 84 300ZX 08-09-2016 08:05 AM

When was the last time you checked your fuel filter? When did the problem start? What is the year etc of your car? A fuel pump can be erratic and seem like it is working and then fail. There can be many short failures over a period of time which can give you the belief that it is OK.

rogerz 08-09-2016 08:38 AM

if you would really like answers that would help you and avoid flames give the following info when you post: year of car, n/a or turbo engine, stick or slushbox, digital or analog dash. Most of us can tell by the year what model you have ie 85T is a turbo z31. Z cars come in many flavors and they are all different. example 84,85,86 Z31's pretty comparable. there were changes in 87,88,89. in addition 300ZX can refer to two completly different cars the Z31 and the Z32. No mindreaders here the more info you can post the more likely you get a cogent useful answer. The cars with L engine (straight six) changed almost yearly from their introduction. A 240Z and and a 280Z have similarities but they can also have wide variance.
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

hard to say since you apparently have done no troubleshooting or at least don't wish to share that knowledge with us. WE ARENT MINDREADERS. Nor are we inclined to help those who won't help themselves.

put pressure gage in the fuel ring to be sure you have the correct pressure. Look for vacuum leaks the bane of the FI engine.

try a repost when you have some facts and data to share.

get the fsm from xenoncar next READ IT