ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Car died while driving down the road??? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/car-died-while-driving-down-road-36409/)

Spiffy McYiffy 10-29-2012 09:39 AM

Car died while driving down the road???

I pulled out the dirveway it shifted to 2nd fine and it wouldn't go into 3rd drove about 200 feet and lost 2nd and another 200 feet and to wont move at all, got it back home and when i try to start it i just hear the starter turning and its not even turning the engine, was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is before i start tearing it apart...thx in advance

1985 N/A automatic just turned 100k miles

zenzee 10-29-2012 10:03 AM

85 zx na no starter action

Originally Posted by Spiffy McYiffy (Post 318034)
I pulled out the dirveway it shifted to 2nd fine and it wouldn't go into 3rd drove about 200 feet and lost 2nd and another 200 feet and to wont move at all, got it back home and when i try to start it i just hear the starter turning and its not even turning the engine, was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is before i start tearing it apart...thx in advance

1985 N/A automatic just turned 100k miles

Check battery first for 12volts. Sounds like a voltage problem.

Spiffy McYiffy 10-29-2012 12:05 PM

did that and swaped starters and no change?

ThaPimpShrimp 10-29-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spiffy McYiffy (Post 318034)
when i try to start it i just hear the starter turning and its not even turning the engine

What do you mean when you say the starter is not even turning the engine?

Spiffy McYiffy 10-29-2012 02:01 PM

tested the starter and its working properly, but the engine is not turning over (when it started normally the belts and fan would turn when trying to start) but in this case there not

Spiffy McYiffy 10-29-2012 06:17 PM

The starter is rotating but is not turning the flywheel. The motor is not locked up but the engine will not turn over with the starter, just can hear the starter rotating.

rogerz 10-29-2012 06:35 PM

you better get another set of eyes on it with you. If the starter is turning (assuming the bendix is throwing out). then the flywheel has to rotate. if the flywheel rotates then the engine turns over. Either the bendix is not working or you have the mystery of the ages ongoing. Are you sure the starter you swapped was any good. Or you got two burnt solenoids on two different starters.

n0youcant 12-30-2022 04:51 PM

[urgent] same here

[QUOTE=Spiffy McYiffy;318034]I pulled out the dirveway it shifted to 2nd fine and it wouldn't go into 3rd drove about 200 feet and lost 2nd and another 200 feet and to wont move at all, got it back home and when i try to start it i just hear the starter turning and its not even turning the engine, was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is before i start tearing it apart...thx in advance

[urgent] this just happened to me and I’m currently stranded at the side of the road. If you fixed this or know how to fix this. Pls let me know. Thank you in advance