ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   Can't find new struts 85 turbo (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/cant-find-new-struts-85-turbo-40829/)

jeffro 04-17-2015 02:39 PM

Can't find new struts 85 turbo

I have a 300 ZX turbo 1985 and need to do front strut cartridge replacements. The problem is I can't find any.

The car only has 95,000 miles on it and it's only weak point are the struts that I can't seem to find. It would be a shame to let this car go over struts.

Any help helps thanks

jeffro 04-17-2015 02:40 PM

Also the Nissan dealer doesn't make them anymore either

rogerz 04-17-2015 04:37 PM

junk the variable stroke units they weren't taht good anyway

these will work

If you are doing a turbo car shocks (electro adjust I think may be only on the turbos) then you need the adapter plates to fit modern shocks to the car. Easiest way is find an n/a at the junkyard and take the mounting plates. They may be available thru NAPA (listed) but I had the n/a plates. NEED for the rear only. look at any auto parts place they have them

rogerz 04-17-2015 04:39 PM

and while at it you may as well do this too:
Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.

AtvJim 04-25-2015 05:32 PM

I just bought an '86 turbo and will be redoing the suspension. I want to keep the adjustable suspension option. What are my options and how does the electro-adjustable front shock system work? Any help is appreciated.
Jim

rogerz 04-25-2015 06:21 PM

well ATV you can keep the junky variable shocks and have your Z wallow down the road like a drunken pig OR you can do what I said. If you want to ask questions it is better to start your own post and not piggy back on someone else.

AtvJim 04-25-2015 07:04 PM

Wow man your a harsh dude. I'm not sure what "piggy packing" is I just thought I'd grab some more specifics about the adjustable suspension. I never owned a z car and whithin 1 year I now have 3 so it's all new to me. I don't care about the drunken pig thing u throw at me as I more care about just the goofy '80'sness giimmky things about the car.

The 80's goofyness in the car like a Gforce accelerammetor and compass and ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION is what I most like about the car.

DUUUUUUUDE....I'm not trying to build a modern TRUE automobile.........I'm trying to retain that '80'snessss.

This is a car I want available for freinds and family to swing by and take it for a day or a week at a time for some retro fun.

F$&)ing lighten up and PLEASE don't respond to my threads or replies again. Man your wound tight....your missing.....Nevermind....WOW....you wont get it. SHEESH!
Jim

NismoPick 04-25-2015 08:33 PM

^^^ Both lighten up. Aye carumba. :D

Roger is simply stating it doesn't make sense to buy stock parts when you can get performance parts for the same price or less. If you were restoring the car to park on the Nissan showroom floor, sure, get stock. Otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

86tcoupe 06-25-2015 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by AtvJim (Post 340559)
I just bought an '86 turbo and will be redoing the suspension. I want to keep the adjustable suspension option. What are my options and how does the electro-adjustable front shock system work? Any help is appreciated.
Jim

On my 86t I replaced the fluid which was burnt to black water basicly but the shocks were okay I was able to find new caps .
the rears I drilled a 1/4" hole at the top and filled and purged to clean it then measured out the amount of hyrdo fluid and no complaints . the adjustable part works and yes it is a cool function of the car soft is a little to soft now .

mine was almost undriveable on wavy roads with the dished 50's it had way better with 225 v60's
& then CCrrraannnnk up the VVVAAAANNN HHAAALLEENNN