300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Bad hesitation/vibrating

Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Bad hesitation/vibrating

I've been trying to pin this down for weeks and I'm getting nowhere. This is my daily driver so it runs like absolute garbage but it gets me the 2 miles to work is why I haven't taken it in to a mechanic. Here goes..

It's a 1987 NA 2+2 automatic and the issues I'm having is when I am even in Park, if I press on the gas the whole car with vibrate and I can really feel it in the steering wheel and shifter as well as under the seat. It doesn't matter if I'm stationary or driving 50 this thing is roaring and vibrating. It also has a really bad hesitation where if I go from a dead stop the engine will rev and I'll barely move and it'll "catch" and start moving again but really slow up to highway speeds. I was told this transmission was replaced 6 months ago with a rebuilt one, I tried some Lucus in it to test to no change. 0-25mph is the absolute worst, it'll lag like hell to speed up.

Some things I've done is the following:

spark plugs NGK
spark plug wires NGK
fuel filter no-name brand
has K&N "cold air intake"
ECU says normal operation
mounts look good to me but have a new tranny mount to replace eventually
cleaned throttle body and plate
(was told not to try to clean MAF on another forum as they are very sensitive and $150 for a used one)
cleaned idle air valve completely and a little of the inside of the intake while it was off
checked for vacuum leaks, nothing I can tell but I have new silicone hose on the way to replace everything
ATF is fine, bright red etc
I have a service record from Nissan dealer from previous owner saying the fuel injectors (assuming all) were replaced few years ago

I think that's it, but may have been more. Doesn't overheat, doesn't have issues besides the acceleration, I'm really close to just getting rid of it it's been a pain the *** a few weeks after I got it.

Literally any ideas or things to try tell me, even if it seems stupid simple like you think I'd had tried already. Thanks guys.

Last edited by felixthatcat; 03-03-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:37 PM

Do a completely cold compression test 1st
Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 86tcoupe
Do a completely cold compression test 1st
I'll try to get around to it. Not sure if it's worth a rebuild with this automatic transmission and don't care much for the 2+2, if compression is bad will probably just get rid of it. Thanks for tip.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:46 AM

Started it up today to go get some gas and was greeted by clouds of white smoke out the exhaust. Not rebuilding this car, anyone in Cincinnati area interested for parts send me a PM. Thanks for the help guys.