300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Any body know any little mods to a 86 N/A

Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Any body know any little mods to a 86 N/A

Just wondering if there's any little mods so my baby can run better
Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

these aren't mods but you ignore them at your peril.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:14 PM

adjustment of the TPS ( 3 wire is a 2 contact swt.) Makes a big difference I remove it and drill the rivets from the back frt. Contact is idle rear is for full throttle , it should have a no contact range too.
I would try to save the factory shocks if the caps are still available factory shafts were forged . KYBs , they made every dats/nissan shock except koni's most
were only cold rolled steel and came towed in pretzeled
Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 PM

Fuel 'system' cleaner: Of course you will get arguments about this, but your '86 has had 31 years to collect crap in your fuel system, from tank to injectors. We used Sea Foam in my '86NA at about 250,000 mi., dripping it in according to "instructions." The amount of pollution we got out (burning crap and crud?) was criminal to see (arrgh) but it made a difference I could feel immediately. Peppier response even in first and second, not the liveliest gears in an '86. Made me happier Be ready to apologize for the pollution

Also remove each of your plugs and check the gap. You have no idea what's there unless you replaced them. Get the best NGK and gap them precisely. Check your plug wires for shorts/leaps and replace with new, good quality plug wires. The Z31 is a treasure and will run perfectly for you with the right kind of care. Congratulations. You got a miracle there.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 09-16-2017 at 10:17 PM.