ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   85 300zx round tail light conversion (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/85-300zx-round-tail-light-conversion-224/)

zsky 04-06-2001 08:59 PM

85 300zx round tail light conversion

Hi there

I am from Australia and I own a 85 300zx and I have done a round tail light conversion and I would just like to know what people think so any feedback would be great.

I have upload the image it is in:
http://z31.com/unsorted/85%20round%20tail%20lights.jpg

Ghostz 04-08-2001 08:50 PM

Re: 85 300zx round tail light conversion

I like it!

"And as the skies darkened and the lightning struck the ghost wailed in the void, lonely at the top of the world" zx

Ghostz

zsky 04-09-2001 03:35 PM

Thanks for your input, I'm glad you like it, I think it looks awesome even better at night with the lights on

Spot 04-09-2001 06:50 PM

well, personally I don't like it - but I'm not the one driving it :)

have you considered getting rid of the red centerpiece and getting a smoked one like the 85 and 86 turbo's have? might blend in more with the darkness of the taillights... just my thoughts again...

laterz
Spot

zsky 04-10-2001 04:04 PM

I have thought about getting the smokey coloured centre piece the turbo models have but mine isn't a turbo and I don't really want it to say turbo when it isn't a turbo but if I can get one that dosen't say turbo I will get it, It is a good idea though.

thanks for your input
zsky

Spot 04-10-2001 07:17 PM

doh! silly me - forgot about that part... wonder if there's any way to remove the plastic portion from the frame and maybe paint it with something to darken it? I know it's glued on or something, but have yet to try and disassemble one of my spares to find out... Maybe one of these days i'll have time to mess with the little stuff like that.

Of course, you could always use that as a good excuse to drop a turbo engine in there!!! :)

zsky 04-11-2001 04:01 PM

I wish I could put a turbo motor in but I can't for insurance reasons plus if any thing goes wrong with the turbo it will cost too much to get fixed plus if I was able to get a turbo model I would have got one in the first place.

AZ-ZBum 04-12-2001 05:06 PM

Turbo motor doesn't cost any more to get fixed than an NA. Most of the parts are interchangable between the two cars. The only thing that costs different is the actual turbo itself. The rest of the prices are about the same.

And typically, your VIN determines whether or not you have a turbo. Most insurance companies don't ask since it is stated right in the VIN. So, even if you have a turbo in an NA, it's still an NA for all intents and purposes to the insurance. Just don't go trying to get more money for it from them if anything happens to the car.

...and from the ashes shall rise a new hope. And it shall be known as "Z". And it will be good.

Spot 04-12-2001 08:41 PM

true bum, but since he's in austrailia, things may be a bit different there with restrictions and such..... It's a pretty simple deal for us here in the states (except for california...)

laterz

zsky 04-13-2001 03:21 AM

insurance here in australia, if you have a turbo car the insurance premium just about doubles in price and if you have a turbo car and you don't tell the insurance company they want cover you if you have a accident unless the insurance company already knows the car is a turbo

Spot 04-13-2001 07:18 AM

Ahh, here in texas they just insure it as whatever the VIN says it is. However, don't expect them to replace turbo stuff if you have an accident. Turbo insurance was about 90 USD per 6 months more than Non-Turbo - although alot of that depends on your age/sex/accident/traffic ticket history.

zsky 04-13-2001 04:35 PM

I have a perfect driving record but because I am a young person and most insurance companies here in Australia won't insure a young person in a turbo car, it is going to cost me a fortune, it is because the insurance companies think that young people like myself are going to show off and speed in a turbo car and cause more accidents.

AZ-ZBum 04-13-2001 10:27 PM

Re: Insurance

I just got my new insurance statement. The NA and AE are exatly the same. Only difference is the AE has a higher comprehensive (by $14.54 for 6 months) Everything else is the same. I don't carry collision on my cars (except for the Jeep, cause it's my wife's) cause the way I see it, if I break it, I was doing something stupid. Plus I've got a couple other cars to choose from to drive while I decide whether I'm going to fix it.

Might be time to start shopping for another insurance company.

...and from the ashes shall rise a new hope. And it shall be known as "Z". And it will be good.

zsky 04-14-2001 05:33 PM

Re: Insurance

I plan in the future when I get enough money and when the insurance won't cost as much for a turbo I am planning on puttting a RB25DET turbo engine out of an R33 Skyline but that won't be for quite a while yet because I am still a young person and the insurance company wouldn't like me doing such a engine swap.