ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   '84 slicktop update and a question (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/84-slicktop-update-question-42606/)

Doclee 07-06-2018 01:00 PM

'84 slicktop update and a question

It's been slower than I would like, but progress is being made on the little white car. Changed the interior color from tan/ beige to mostly parchment (SEM vinyl stuff) and rebuilt the seats with a z32 pattern cloth. So far, she runs good, but will not run out. Max speed on the highway is around 70 mph. Seems to rev smoothly but slowly. So far, I have replaced plugs dist. cap and wires, changed to PRW module, replaced timing belt and associated hardware, changed fuel filter and checked pressure, cleaned MAF sensor, new clutch master and slave (bypassed damper) fresh panel air filter. Tried a tank full of some expensive injector cleaner and checked brake calipers for binding (one seemed a little tight from the parking brake spring bracket not moving, but some oil and movement fixed that). Timing is set at 20 degrees.

The question is for anyone who can think of something I have overlooked. Any ideas?

Thanks. doclee462@yahoo.com

Doclee 11-21-2018 02:42 PM

Follow up

Originally Posted by Doclee (Post 347380)
It's been slower than I would like, but progress is being made on the little white car. Changed the interior color from tan/ beige to mostly parchment (SEM vinyl stuff) and rebuilt the seats with a z32 pattern cloth. So far, she runs good, but will not run out. Max speed on the highway is around 70 mph. Seems to rev smoothly but slowly. So far, I have replaced plugs dist. cap and wires, changed to PRW module, replaced timing belt and associated hardware, changed fuel filter and checked pressure, cleaned MAF sensor, new clutch master and slave (bypassed damper) fresh panel air filter. Tried a tank full of some expensive injector cleaner and checked brake calipers for binding (one seemed a little tight from the parking brake spring bracket not moving, but some oil and movement fixed that). Timing is set at 20 degrees.

The question is for anyone who can think of something I have overlooked. Any ideas?

Thanks. doclee462@yahoo.com

Weak engine was sourced to a pair of wired that had been chewed up and overlooked by yours truly, resulting in passenger side bank of cylinders not getting any fuel. Corrected and now the little car runs like a champ.

mikey280zx 11-22-2018 12:42 AM

Excellent. Check advance on distr, both mechanical and vacuum, Good bet more power will be found in either not functioning proper. Need the advance when we push the happy pedal, Then a set of new injectors and connectors. Badda bam
!:icon_super:

86tcoupe 11-24-2018 08:23 AM

When you load the engine, ignition timing retards
​​​​​​​like at idle load

mikey280zx 11-25-2018 10:27 PM

If it's retarding performance must be bad. No advance when rev w timing light?

86tcoupe 11-27-2018 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by mikey280zx (Post 347818)
if it's retarding performance must be bad. No advance when rev w timing light?

It is already advanced it needs to retard as the throttle opens for a sustained time under load.
​​​
​​​​​​​how would reving be a load?

Doclee 12-20-2018 02:11 PM

Okay, all the mechanical and almost all the interior stuff has been taken care of. Still need to swap out the faded odometer barrels, or possible the entire instrument panel with a spare, find out why the HVAC system isn't working (I got nothin' so plan is to pull the dash apart and look for some bad vacuum hoses).

Next is paint and body along with a new windshield. Then, of course, all will be well and i should never have to fix anything again...right?