ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   300ZX on snow (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/300zx-snow-42572/)

Isnaaake 06-03-2018 11:54 PM

300ZX on snow

Hi, im a michigan dweller thinking of getting a 300zx NA for my daily drive, even during winter. I’m not planning on abusing the car, I’m fully prepared to invest a large sum of money to keep it in pristine condition. My question is, do you recommend or do you think it’s safe/good idea to drive it in snow? I’m thinking of adding a few sand bags in the back, getting some GOOD snow tires and snow chains to get me by. I know its RWD but im not sure if it would be a great investment. I drive 13 miles to school and 13 miles back 5 days a week. I hope some of you Z owners could give me some insight with the experience you have. Please educate me, don’t belittle me on my naivety

86tcoupe 06-05-2018 12:51 PM

What school ? If high school just take the bus
it will rust away quick on those salted roads .
setting low they high center easy

Cobalt60 06-07-2018 04:07 PM

I'm sorry you have a little naivety. A 300zx won't make up for that.

My parents both had 280zx's that they drove year round in Massachusetts. A two seater and a 2+2. Both were terrible in the snow. The 300 is probably not any better.

If you have enough money to keep the car in pristine condition then you have enough to buy a winter beater. That is the better thought. Probably cheaper in the long run, too.

86tcoupe 06-07-2018 05:59 PM

Sandbags in the back of a hatchback....google movie star tom mix

zxguy1986 06-10-2018 03:45 PM

Welcome to ZDriver! :006:

Agree that the Z31 is not "great" in snow. When I bought my first Z31 in '86, I didn't expect it to be much better than my previous Toyotas (Celicas). Surprised that it was better (heavier and came with smarter tires) but would never let me be 100% confident in snow. I rarely got stuck but at least it was not a Toyota iceboat, all over the road and floating directionless above the road (!). I refused to garage it when there was snow, took on every snowstorm as another adventure, drove for hours and hours. It was do-able in all but the deepest snow.

If your state salts the roads in winter, you will want to power-wash the wheel wells and the under-frame thoroughly every week or so. DO not go into Spring with that salt residue on your Z. Warm temps, salt and rain will eat your steel up (bolts/nuts included). Otherwise, I would say that the good parts of owning and driving a Z31 every day make the winter a very small problem. There are 3 other seasons where you will love your Z without question. :006:

PS: I never went the "sandbags" route for ballast but always kept the gas tank full in winter. WIth good tires, that was all I needed in most snowy conditions.

95Zulu32 06-14-2018 03:22 PM

poor off road capabilities

4 Attachment(s)
any rear wheel car that has no weight in the back end will give you problems in the snow, and if you hit black ice well i guess it doesn't matter what you are driving.
there was no damage to the car, it just slid off the road and i couldn't get back on it.