300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Back on a Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Back on a Z

Hi there!!! After 30 years, I calmed the itch of having another Z. I had a 1976 280Z back in high school which I couldn't enjoy that much since I didn't have enough funds back then to keep it running. By the time I sold it, it was so rusted that I could see the road through the floor like Fred Flintstone. My background is dealing with Water Cooled VWs, Hondas, LS1s, and recently European. I'm a Mechanical Engineer that enjoys working on cars and motorcycles. I just bought a 1986 Turbo Z31 5 spd. from one of the members here (I think jv1986zx???) in Miami. The car has good bones with a healthy engine and I'm continuing the legacy to make it better. For now, I'm dealing with all aesthetic matters and then I will look into more horses for the stable. Plans for the engine are a 2 stage boost controller with the mandatory AFR & Boost Gauges, Upgraded Fuel Pump and FPR, Additional Injectors/controller on Charge Pipe(Want to keep the stock ECU), Air to Water Intercooler (Don't want to cut the car for the IC piping), Water/Methanol Injection, Pure Turbo T3 upgrade(Want to keep the stock Turbo look), and an upgraded clutch among other stuff. I want to keep a sleeper look and all the creature comforts. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

R

Regards,
Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver! And great score!

You've got quite the list... from what you plan to do, I can't imagine leaving the stock ecu... might as well go Nistune. And when you stay "two stage boost controller" you mean the "low & high" setting boost controller? For $50-$100 more you can go fully adjustable EBC. Greddy and HKS both have quality units for decent prices.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver! And great score!

You've got quite the list... from what you plan to do, I can't imagine leaving the stock ecu... might as well go Nistune. And when you stay "two stage boost controller" you mean the "low & high" setting boost controller? For $50-$100 more you can go fully adjustable EBC. Greddy and HKS both have quality units for decent prices.
Thanks for the recommendations. The reason I'm sticking with the stock ECU is that it is way easier to go back to all stock when selling the car. It is a really nice unmolested car that some people will appreciate more as close as possible to stock if I sell it.
If I get limited or bored with the stock ECU/Additional injectors set up, I'll go with an AEM ECU that is the one I'm more familiar programming.

Regards,
Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 PM
JSM

You in south FL area? CM performance is in that area. They don’t advertise intercooler kits but will make one.

https://certifiedmuffler.com/
Old 06-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JSM
You in south FL area? CM performance is in that area. They don’t advertise intercooler kits but will make one.

https://certifiedmuffler.com/
Thanks for the info. I bought the car in South FL and shipped it to MD where I live. I couldn't find one around here not rusted.