ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/)
-   -   1990 twin turbo motor/tranny 6speed swap into 87 automatic non turbo z (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/1990-twin-turbo-motor-tranny-6speed-swap-into-87-automatic-non-turbo-z-24014/)

johnsonsz31tt 10-11-2007 10:24 AM

1990 twin turbo motor/tranny 6speed swap into 87 automatic non turbo z

I have a z31(slow) not motor wise but tranny, i wanna be the fastest at my skool, so i bought a 90 twin turbo 6 speed to fix up my car with, i tried the brakes and nothing fits? i pulled the motor+tranny out of 90's model,

things i need to know...
will the motor drop right in? with my mounts or the tt mounts?
will the tranny bolt right in? with my mounts or the tt mounts?
is it possible to convert my 87 from auto to manual with out getting any manual parts from a z thats my model or can i cut custom firewall mounts for every thing off the 90"s model and put it all on mine?

or will every thing off the tt motor bolt on to my motor?will this be easyer???
and will the tt tranny bolt on to my non turbo block?
the tt wrecked but with a 10,000 mile rebuild on motor+tranny
my motor was rebuilt 60,000 miles ago and very strong but not sure if it could hold the two turbos??

does any one no any friends in south carolina in columbia,lexington,swansea,cayce,gaston area that would help on a project like this for some cash????

260zturbo 10-11-2007 11:15 AM

go find a z31 get the 5 speed out of that with a pedel,clutch lines and cylinder. and find a turbo vg30et.......a vg30dett might fit but u will be spending alot of time or money. it all depends on whats easy for u. have u done something like this b4? if not your in a hole. why dont u like your vg? just cause something has 2 turbos does not mean its badass. a single turbo thats not ridiculously huge puts out more power then u know ex t3/t4. good luck with your project. all the money u are going to throw in you could of put in a rb if u wanted power.

NismoPick 10-11-2007 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by johnsonsz31tt
I have a z31(slow) not motor wise but tranny, i wanna be the fastest at my skool, so i bought a 90 twin turbo 6 speed to fix up my car with, i tried the brakes and nothing fits? i pulled the motor+tranny out of 90's model,

things i need to know...
will the motor drop right in? with my mounts or the tt mounts?
will the tranny bolt right in? with my mounts or the tt mounts?
is it possible to convert my 87 from auto to manual with out getting any manual parts from a z thats my model or can i cut custom firewall mounts for every thing off the 90"s model and put it all on mine?

or will every thing off the tt motor bolt on to my motor?will this be easyer???
and will the tt tranny bolt on to my non turbo block?
the tt wrecked but with a 10,000 mile rebuild on motor+tranny
my motor was rebuilt 60,000 miles ago and very strong but not sure if it could hold the two turbos??

does any one no any friends in south carolina in columbia,lexington,swansea,cayce,gaston area that would help on a project like this for some cash????

There's so many things wrong w/ this post...

#1... The 90 300zx didn't have a 6 speed tranny (not in the USA anyway)... I dunno what you bought, but it's not a 300zx 6 speed.

#2... There will always be someone faster than you, prepare yourself for heartbreak.

#3... Apparently you have no mechanical experience, so I suggest taking some basic mechanic / auto classes before jumping in over your head.

#4... Using the SEARCH can benefit you more than you could ever imagine, because my friend, if you can ask it... it has already been asked: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...ghlight=6speed

b300z 10-11-2007 12:18 PM

grow up, research, try again

Bleach 10-11-2007 01:32 PM

Have your dad buy you a 2007 350Z.
306hp and you don't have to get your hands dirty AND you'll have a 6-speed! (unless he buys the auto)

snwbrderphat540 10-11-2007 02:10 PM

stick it in a go-kart.... that would be sick!

and yeah where did u get this 6spd idea from? i think u got swindled. HKS makes a 6speed for it but its retardedly expensive. you need alot of knowledge to do this swap and alot of money and resources....

johnsonsz31tt 10-12-2007 09:43 AM

my dad aint ganna buy no 20,000 car to go dog the hell out of it, and if he did id be like every one else in the school parking lot, i put 1,500 in this so far and plan on putting thousands more of my own money... i like classics i just need the tech. that there putting in todays cars(thats why i bought the tt)hope it wasnt a mistake????
i looked into the rb, 850.00 for the motor...
i looked at an ls1 out an newer corvette, but id have to do a lot more work,,,
i thought the tt would drop right in and it all would work out, but if it dont ill most likly sell the tt for 3 times as much as i paid for in and then id go with my vg and turbo it..
i got both cars for a 1,000 and wanted to put the 2 togeather...
all i got to do is get the engine and tranny bolted in my car and my friends dad works at imports plus so he will do the rest for some omount of money...
i wanna sell my vg so i can have some money to put into the tt, what ever adds the most power for my dollars worth....

johnsonsz31tt 10-12-2007 09:44 AM

some of my friends told me all z32 tt came with 6 speed i went out there to check and yes its a 5....

johnsonsz31tt 10-12-2007 10:12 AM

i can be tha fastest cauze the 4 top cars at my skool is 5.0 mustang,scion tc 2008 exhuast,intake,possibly turbo, 4.6l mustang headers,intake,exhaust, and another mustang, all rich boyz so all they do is point and daddy buyz it, none of them no how to power shift or double clutch so i think i can take them with the tt... or can I????

Bleach 10-12-2007 10:33 AM

VG30DETT is not going to fit... well, way too much work. cutting and welding required.

The single cam turbo engine that was a factory option for the Z31 (1984-89 300ZX) is certainly doable and a more cost effective solution. VG30ET

RB20DET is a bit too small, better off with the VG30ET

RB25DET or RB26DETT (if you can afford it) are good options and will fit with some work. Those swaps have been done before and I'm sure there is documented info online. You should look into each swap, then decide for yourself which you think is doable for your skills and budget.

You can have a 400hp Z... and if you have the fastest car at school what will you do next? What will that accomplish for you?

Another option is to sell your car and look for a factory 300ZX turbo for sale. Then you just need to tune it up and upgrade it. No engine swaps required.

NismoPick 10-12-2007 10:42 AM

i can be tha fastest cauze the 4 top cars at my skool is 5.0 mustang,scion tc 2008 exhuast,intake,possibly turbo, 4.6l mustang headers,intake,exhaust, and another mustang, all rich boyz so all they do is point and daddy buyz it, none of them no how to power shift or double clutch so i think i can take them with the tt... or can I????

Apparently you attend school at GHETTO HIGH. :D

Bleach 10-12-2007 11:41 AM

No Vipers or Porsches? Didn't you watch Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift? :D

260zturbo 10-12-2007 12:19 PM

hahahah a tc is on a top of a list >_< what year stang bc some gt where slow as hell.

entropy31 10-12-2007 01:00 PM

You are wasting your time and money attempting this swap. you do not have enough knowledge or experience to make it work. as has been suggested, the best route, if you are intent upon having a fast z31, would be to get a factory turbo car. next best option is to swap in a VG30ET and manual transmission.

snwbrderphat540 10-12-2007 01:20 PM

all mustangs from late 80 till 2000s were slow. the 5.0's stock run 15's but tehy have a HELLA strong motors thats why you see so many getting sprayed massivly and making big numbers. the 90's 4.6l i wasted in my NA Z32 when he jumped on me, one auto the other stick, did it on 2 seperate cars, then the one followed me around a corner and ended up sliding its ass out and jumping this MASSIVE curb, it was great. and scion TC's are crap, even with a turbo, they are FWD economy crap. they shoulda bought a honda lol. your school has no competition, i cant believe those are the rich boys. at my school i had multiple mercedes porches (one a 911) M3's sti's and an s2k to compete with. but i never wanted teh fastest at teh school sure it would be cool, but what would i achieve and there will always be someone to talk shit about you since your competing now. you should sell that setup you got for 2k or something if its in good condition and do an RB swap that will actually fit but still be a bitch or just get teh VG30ET which will be a straight drop in

hoov100 10-12-2007 04:17 PM

88-90 5.0 is the only respectable mustang i have driven

johnsonsz31tt 10-15-2007 10:04 AM

they talk a lot of shit about my car, they ask me to run it every day and i tell them to wait tell i get this twin turbo in and i will, so i gotta do this swap, plus i already got every thing, money if i a only get what i need, (upgrades later), and i looked for tha past year for this twin turbo, i got the tools and brains 2 do this, and i notice that the motor mounts, well the z32 has 2 bolts about 41/2 inches apart, the z31's is about 4 inches apart so do i need to weld the mounts off the z32 on to my z31, and if possible drill holes to bolt it also.... or is there any shop that i can order the custom mounts from???
the tranny on the z32 has a brase going across the bottom of it about one foot long and has three bolts on each side.... and i havnt looked at mine but 2 day ima pull the mounts off and compare.........
iv been in a z32 twin turbo with intake, and exhaust.... it hit 150mph in 4 gear at 5,000 rpm...
with my car waying a lot less should be a lot faster????

one of those mustangs was showin off his dyno record, and it had 390hp on it, and didnt say any thing about torque....

NismoPick 10-15-2007 10:08 AM

Teenagers..... :wasted:

johnsonsz31tt 10-15-2007 10:27 AM

i got a go kart that will burn the hell out of that scion..
i put a 72 125 honda motorcycle 4 stroke on this regular 2 seater frame, and cut the rear end off and welded a 4 wheeler rear end on it, i let my brother drive my z and i burn the hell out of him with tha go kart...

just last night i line up with a scion tc, v-tech honda,eclipse,and a bad ass 350z, about 58mph we all hit it, the 350z smoked us all(NO figure)
but i beat the eclipse, tha honda beat us both and the scion shot off with the honda and they got about 4 car lengths on me with in 25 secs..... and the eclipse was at my back tire....

NismoPick 10-15-2007 10:42 AM

the 350z smoked us all(NO figure)

I believe the saying is... GO FIGURE... not "no figure." :D

And you should read this: http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/streetracing.html

snwbrderphat540 10-15-2007 10:53 AM

thats a weak cart ;) hahaha, buddies of mine stuck a 92 honda F4 600CC motor in a go-kart. now that is fun!

Bleach 10-15-2007 11:59 AM

street racing... :D
I remember one time long ago I was doing a stop light race in my 280ZX NA. I got the jump on him but killed the engine... started it right back up, went again and I still beat him! :) That just shows that our cars were not of similar power. I could probably have given him a 2 second lead and still won that pointless race.

What makes the 350Z bad ass? Bodykit, loud exhaust, K&N air filter, "maybe turbo" ? ;)

hoov100 10-15-2007 01:02 PM

kid, i have one question before i start helping you..

are you absolutely serious about swapping in this motor?

its no small task, theirs ALOT of BS involved with those TT motors.]

and a z31 only weighs about 150 pounds less then a z32 2+0

260zturbo 10-15-2007 04:16 PM

again its not impossible but just going to be a pain in the ass. if u are up to it then by all means do it. its nice to see a man of your word but bc u told some kid at school does not mean u have to carry out on a tt swap. why bother with these people. just drive your z and be proud of it.

hoov100 10-15-2007 05:01 PM

it will still be totally worth it in the end though.