ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-76/)
-   -   Winter tires (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-76/winter-tires-15624/)

entropy31 11-04-2005 12:59 AM

Winter tires

Now that winter is here, i am sure some of us are wondering what tires are good for the season. Lets get some suggestions for good winter tires.

Right now i have some nankang something or other on the front and some pirelli p4000's on the rear. it snows every now and then where i live, but usually not a lot, but it rains all the time. its getting a little squirly in the rain, what do you suggest as a good all around, not too expensive tire for mildly spirited winter driving? and go ahead and post what tire you would use for your climate and driving style too.

pete8717 11-04-2005 06:54 AM

I just drive on on my normal Stinger radial GTs. As long as you don't go overboard they should be alright. I don't focus on traction anyways sliding is fun.

johnZboy 11-04-2005 04:30 PM

The perfect snow/ice tire, without a doubt.... Take them off when the temps go up again. I don't think they'd last very long if heated. They're re-caps...

entropy31 11-05-2005 12:03 AM

bling bling, i gots diamonds in my tires yo! those are pretty nifty.

AZ-ZBum 11-05-2005 09:50 PM

Yeah. Winter is when I finally have to put the top up at night and run the heater. Sometimes. Damn that part sucks.

stryker 11-15-2005 09:36 PM

Well im stationed here in Anchorage Alaska, i have found that putting sandbags in the rear of the vehicle and having studs added to your everyday tire help ALOT. I just had it done today, before i did all of this, i was all over the road and could not control the vehicle even at 5 mph taking a slow turn on the ice. Now that i have done this extra work to my tires, i can easily control the vehicle at 15 mph on that same turn. Its still not like driving on warm flat road, but its not as bad as it could be.

duowing 11-28-2005 11:25 PM

How does the Z31 hold up in snow? Does it just start rusting away or what?

entropy31 11-29-2005 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by duowing

well, this is my z's first time in a real winter, as i bought it when i was stationed in san diego. had a little snow, and some nights in the low 20's and havent had any real problems, other than the doors freezing shut. supposed to snow more tonight. luckily i dont think salt the roads around here, just sand.

SonicCelt 12-02-2005 02:46 PM

We just had some serious snow in southern Alberta here and I was all over the roads and couldn't get moving very easy. I bought some Dunlop Graspics just as a cheap winter tire and they stick to the snow and ice really well. I thought I would pass that along.

WolfMan 01-13-2006 12:24 PM

I am stationed in germany, it snows alot, everyonce and a while
by that I mean, the old saying when it rains it pours. I have some barvuris or something like that, lol, the best wintertires ever
I can climb hills, it has a big rib in the middle and the tires are directional, I joke with my friends and call them my paddles

just for a thought for next year seeing as I wrote entirely to late
hehe ;)

FreeLanceBum 01-29-2006 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
Yeah. Winter is when I finally have to put the top up at night and run the heater. Sometimes. Damn that part sucks.

Yeah, damn these Phoenix winters. Sometimes I even have to put on a sweater in the mornings and evenings.

88-300zx 02-28-2006 11:32 AM

lol, u guys down in arizona complaining about having to wear a sweater sometimes. i wish it was like that here. i hate it here in new york when the snow comes falling and the temp. is like -10 with the windchill sometimes. i wanna actually move down somewhere in AZ once i finish college. it seems like there's tons of areas to ride and race quads, plus i like the warmer weather...

FreeLanceBum 02-28-2006 03:18 PM

The winters are great here. And I do know what negative zero weather is too, I'm from Minnesota.
But the summers are helish. 115 dgrees is no fun. Especially with leather seats.

MIBPreacher 04-12-2006 04:33 PM

Mine came with Remington 225/50/16's from the previous owner and we had a ton of snow here near chicago, we always get lake effect snow from the wind coming down from the land of the canucks. :111:

I had no problems driving on the snow or ice. One things that helps alot, is to drive slow. :075: Usually people fail to do that. I saw front wheel drive cars spin off the road while driving home, lol idiots.

azman648 01-28-2008 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
well, this is my z's first time in a real winter, as i bought it when i was stationed in san diego. had a little snow, and some nights in the low 20's and havent had any real problems, other than the doors freezing shut. supposed to snow more tonight. luckily i dont think salt the roads around here, just sand.

is he the only one who drives their z31 in winter? i am talking about a real winter with -25 degree (celcius) days and 6" of packed snow and ice. with snow tires is it relatively safe?

SpeciallySpiked 01-28-2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by azman648
is he the only one who drives their z31 in winter? i am talking about a real winter with -25 degree (celcius) days and 6" of packed snow and ice. with snow tires is it relatively safe?

Depends on your driving abilities.

azman648 01-28-2008 07:14 PM

Well I'll take that as a yes than... And about how deep of fresh snow can it drive through?

SpeciallySpiked 01-28-2008 08:10 PM

Tough to say, I've never driven my 280ZX (which I am just assuming drives like the 300ZX in the snow) with snowtires. The deepest fresh snow I've driven in was probably about 8 inches but I was starting to plow it and probably couldn't have attempted a hill.

Other wise if it's packed and you can keep moving you'll be fine. I've gone skiing quite a few times with the 280ZX where SUV's were spinning off the road and I made it home. Definitely have to think ahead though, braking, turning, etc.

P.S. I'm driving in very dry snow so technically I am cheating.

azman648 01-28-2008 08:23 PM

Well 8 inches is probably the most snow we ever get in a day here in Saskatchewan, so it seems that it might not be a problem...

snwbrderphat540 01-28-2008 08:24 PM

no... he doesnt, becuase this is 3 years old almost and he no longer has a Z31. check the post dates.

azman648 01-28-2008 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
no... he doesnt, becuase this is 3 years old almost and he no longer has a Z31. check the post dates.

so you're saying it can't be done?

SpeciallySpiked 01-28-2008 08:35 PM

he's saying Entropy doesn't have the Z31 anymore

azman648 01-28-2008 08:40 PM

ok... but what does that have to do with this thread?

snwbrderphat540 01-28-2008 08:41 PM

your the one that asked if he was the only person that drives his Z31 in the snow/winter and i answered your question. what do you have to do with this thread? its a sticky that hasnt been posted in for over a year. really not the best choice for your first post. go make an introduction thread and ask w/e question your trying to get at in here.

SloppyGoat 03-15-2009 08:14 PM

Sorry for dragging this old thread up...

...but if you really want to know what it's like driving a Z in the winter, I have a lot of experience with it!

Originally Posted by duowing (Post 98672)

Mine is in the shop now after driving it a few years in the snow. It only rusts where there is no paint, really. I'm having it taken down to bare metal wherever it has the slightest rust, sandblasted, and one section behind the RR wheel replaced with fresh new metal. It should look perfect again when I get it back. I hope so, or the body dude ain't getting the rest of his money! ;)
The doors do freeze shut in very cold weather. I'm also replacing the weatherstripping, hoping that won't happen after that. You really need a garage if you want to drive one of these in the winter, or one cold morning you'll probably find that you can't get into your car.
As for handling, it's really not that bad if you have a LSD. If you don't, I'm betting you're not going anywhere at all in the snow. :wasted: Anything over 6 inches of snow, and you're not going anywhere even if you do have an LSD. It just piles up under the car and you're screwed. Even with a LSD, you can easily get stuck in a few inches of packed snow. Studs are illegal here, because they tear up the already shitty ass roads. :083:

I used Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S this year, and I have to say, the Continentals I had last year got better traction. These had a bit of wear on them before we got a lot of snow, though. On the bright side, I don't have to change them for the summer, since they're all weather, but I don't think I'll buy them again. The rear tires are already pretty worn, but then rear tires never seem to last me more than a year, and no, it's not because of the camber. I just like to get sideways a lot. I can't seem to resist! :042:

Alaska? That sand they salt the streets with usually has salt in it. They use that in about any state where it snows. Supposedly, it's a new formula that doesn't rust cars as bad now, but it doesn't matter. If the paint is missing, it's going to rust. It's better to just store it in the winter. I plan to find a winter vehicle if possible, before next winter...if I'm still here.

Originally Posted by FreeLanceBum (Post 111891)
The winters are great here. And I do know what negative zero weather is too, I'm from Minnesota.
But the summers are helish. 115 dgrees is no fun. Especially with leather seats.

Uh, yeah. Ok...that's where I am (MN), and I hate winter!!! This state sucks!

Most people do not drive RWD sports cars (Excuse me! "Luxury touring vehicles.") in the winter here. You see a few, but not many. Most people store them for the winter, if they can.