300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Coilover questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM

Coilover questions

I know you guys get this a lot but I have actually looked around and just want to clarify things

First question... Are there ANY bolt on coils for the z31?

How hard is this adaption and is there a how to?
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...ight=coilovers

What's up with these?
http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan...sc_suspension/

Also I've read on other forums that ground control can build a set for you and as long as you don't get the camber blares it's just simple bolt on suspension.

It's not that I don't want to do a lot of work I just don't know how to do a ton of things and don't have a lot of tools

Any info will help but just cuz I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new to forums in general so yes I have searched a few things before posting
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM

me and you are also in the same boat.. ive been doing massive research and still cant figure out how to put coilovers on my Z
Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM

Andy's is a piece of **** company that would rather steal images from the internet to advertise products than pay the owners for their hard work and time.

That and Andy's doesn't sell coilovers for the Z31. Stance is the closest you will come to bolt in applications.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM

I am a complete newbie here but seeing a couple of posts about coil-overs... well I made my own and they work pretty well. They are not pretty. I use the car for racng only and am more concerned about winning.

in the front I use Bilstein shock inserts from tire rack. on the shock tube I welded a collar about 10" down from the top of the threads. Then use a standard 2.5" threaded collar and adjusting ring:
Adjuster Sleeve, Coil-Over
Ride Height Adjuster

on the top of the spring I used a spring top:
Shock Top

The shock top need to be selected properly. There are different designs. I also had to mill mine a little more to get clearance.

On top of the shock top I installed a linear bearing and two bearing surfaces:
McMaster-Carr

I used the 3/4" ID ones, with the thicker (0.126") bearing surfaces. A little grease is needed.

Then you will need a bushing of some kind - I used this one:
Shop The Hillman Group 5/8-in x 3/4-in x 1-in x 3/4-in Bronze Flange Bearings at Lowes.com

Put the shock top on the shock (with the spring installed), then put the bearing on top of that and the bushing goes flange-side-up on top of that. the ID of the bushing is 5/8" for the shock and the OD is 3/4" for the shock top and bearing.

After that I had to put a 1/8" 5/8" ID spacer (about 3/4" OD to clear the camber plate at all angles.

Slide the shaft of the shock up into the bearing on the camber plate and tighten with an impact and your good to go. it works really well and is relatively inexpensive. Took a little work to get it perfect but not too hard.

For the rear I just used the threaded collar and adjusting ring. Not a great fit in the top but a 2.5" sping fits great on the rear control arm.

Can I post pictures here? I can take some pics if anybody is interested.