300ZX (Z31) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

z31 rear vibration/humming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM

z31 rear vibration/humming?

so there's a buzzing/humming/vibrating coming from the rear of my car that increases in intensity/volume with speed. Still present in neutral/with clutch. if I take a hard left, the volume increase, hard right, the volume decreases (actually goes away). I replaced the wheel bearings on the rear passenger side, but its still there. I think it might be the cv axle, but all the information i've read says it should sound like a clicking, which it doesn't. any ideas?

background- not lsd diff. brand new tires, has been getting progressively worse over ~2000 miles. When i replaced the rear bearings i had to take the axle out, and when i compressed the boots, grease came out all over the place at the seals, and the joints were really loose horizontally and vertically but not rotationally. i love this car but its just so loud....

also, my rear camber is like -2.5 degrees on both wheels. i know i need to replace all those bushings in the rear but with school and work i really dont have time....
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

why did you only replace the bearings on one side? get under the car and start turning things.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 AM

Because i thought it was the passenger bearings that were bad. I don't have money to preventatively replace stuff. The other side was fine. I just wanna know of anyone else thinks it is the axle, because i don't want to spend $90 on the axle only to have the noise still be there. I spent 80 on the two bearings cuz the noise is classic of bearings going. (The roar that increases with speed)
Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

you keep saying axle do you mean half shaft. the axle is what you put the bearings on which by the way you paid too much for. should it arise again take the bearings you pull out to a place that specializes in bearings to get replacements. get double sealed and forget greasing them. bearing numbers are quite specific.

the half shaft universals can cause the noise you talk about. I forget if z31 are universal or cv joint but both can cause noise. the cv joint can often be a clicking noise but not necessarily.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by rogerz
you keep saying axle do you mean half shaft. the axle is what you put the bearings on which by the way you paid too much for. should it arise again take the bearings you pull out to a place that specializes in bearings to get replacements. get double sealed and forget greasing them. bearing numbers are quite specific.

the half shaft universals can cause the noise you talk about. I forget if z31 are universal or cv joint but both can cause noise. the cv joint can often be a clicking noise but not necessarily.

Im referring to the axle that comes from the diff and bolts with 6 bolts to the companion flange of the spindle which goes through the wheel bearings. I overpay for everything, I'm in Massachusetts haha. It was 80 for inner and outer. I believe the axle has universal joints. So i guess ill replace it this weekend and let you all know.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 AM

So i finally got around to replacing the axle cv shaft. The noise/ vibration is still there.. What else could it be? Ive replaced both bearings as well.

The only other thing ic an think of is that my camber on my rear wheels is like -2.6 degrees... I think thats from worn bushings and maybe settled springs? Would the excessive angle cause that kind of noise?