ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z31) Appearance Exterior, Interior (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-appearance-exterior-interior-75/)
-   -   Turn signal/head light indicator problem (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-appearance-exterior-interior-75/turn-signal-head-light-indicator-problem-13777/)

JDsmash 07-08-2005 02:53 PM

Turn signal/head light indicator problem

For some odd reason right turn signal light is flashing faster ( and the Front right is flashing dimmer also). I checked all my bulbs and they are good. I am not sure how to solve this problem and I dont know where to start. Another thing too is that the "headlights" inidcator on my dash no longer turns on when I turn my lights on. The indicator lights still function becuase they still turn on when i have the keys in "on" but havent started the engine.
Any suggestions as to what might be my problem and possible solution would be great~ Thanks

Ryan82ZX 07-08-2005 06:55 PM

Well, i would check your ground wires up by your lights. I have to wiring problems all the time on trailers at work, and most of the time it is simply a grounding problem. It might sound funny, but the last ground wire I fixed on one of our trailers it was in the brake system. When we hit the brakes the headlight would come on, so wiring can be really weird!

JDsmash 07-10-2005 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan82ZX
Well, i would check your ground wires up by your lights. I have to wiring problems all the time on trailers at work, and most of the time it is simply a grounding problem. It might sound funny, but the last ground wire I fixed on one of our trailers it was in the brake system. When we hit the brakes the headlight would come on, so wiring can be really weird!

I am still very new to cars and appreciate the tip, but since i am still a mechanical newby do you think might be able to give me a break down as to how I get to the ground wires? ( if its too much trouble maybe any other information as to how i might start would be fine :o )

AZ-ZBum 07-12-2005 11:01 PM

First, are all the lights working?

Most often, it's a bulb that's out.

JDsmash 07-16-2005 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by JDsmash
... I checked all my bulbs and they are good....

yep yep, I even tried swapping out some bulbs for fresher ones.

Ryan82ZX 07-16-2005 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by JDsmash
I am still very new to cars and appreciate the tip, but since i am still a mechanical newby do you think might be able to give me a break down as to how I get to the ground wires? ( if its too much trouble maybe any other information as to how i might start would be fine :o )

I would go out and buy a chiltons or FSM (factory service manual). They will give you wiring diagrams that will tell you where the ground wires are located. If i get the time I will try and scan some and send them to you. I am pretty busy though. I will tell you that there is usually a ground wire that comes off the battery and mounts to the body under the hood and a couple more on the engine. Let know what you find out!

grinningevild 08-12-2005 11:30 AM

no idea but it's common

When I bought my Z I shopped around a lot of used cars and did notice this exact problem in two Z's. I didn't buy either of those, so can't tell you much more than that except that it happens.
- J