280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

zach's sbc build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Everyone is welcome to take a ride!

Although, it's in the shop getting an A/C line replaced and the system re-charged. It was getting a little sweaty in the black leather interior...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Big Poppa

i want a ride one day, take a trip with it to canada, you can stay at my place free, great scenery. hot chicks in vancouver too. ill even let you park in my new shop with hoist im building. alarmed and all.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM

Just getting the engine tuned now, and the transmission's kick down adjusted. A guy I know can make that plate we were missing matt. It's done and done tomorrow. I dum-dum'd the hole in the shifter area (Whatever you call it) worked like a charm. As far as a choke, not necessary since you can just do it manually with the pedal. The vaccuum cannister for the breaks I might just install later. It stops fine from fast to slow, but if it's in the lower rpm, DAMN it just doesn't want to stop haha. The kick down is fixed up now, the shift kit is a bit messed up from first to second it just wants to wrench me forward of I ease into it from drive. But if I drive faster and it kicks in at a slightly higher rpm, it doesn't really jolt you. It's more fun to do it manually anyway, faster acceleration.

That throttle cable for some reason keeps coming off. I keep tightening it and I haven't figured out what the problem is. It's crazy to be going so fast and not using the full throttle at all. Also...neighbors hate me already, I have set off so many alarms driving by the cars hahah <.<.

Once it's all fixed up I'll make a video to show you guys. It ain't pretty, but I like so far. Matt put a bitchin shifter in too, so I'll get that in there.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Big Poppa

hmm is that cable slipping out of the set screw under the dash??? i tightened the crap outta that cable, inside and outside. howd it go after i tightened it the other day, more throttle??? thats really weird. good to hear that kickdown is gonna be good, my bro made that piece to make it work till a better one could be found. that particular chevy kick down can be a pain, better for a chevy guy to play with that part. i really want to see a video, although in person is way better!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Right after you tightened it, I got on the road, and one time when I went on the pedal it went "TINK!" I tried playing with it, didn't seem to be loose. Not quit sure wtf is up. It's in better hands than mine at the moment so it's all good.

I'll keep you updated. I'll do both man. Sometime I'll come by to show ya at work or something.

Next on the agenda after it's fixed is to get those caps on the front two wheels re-fitted. I'm trying to figure out what the deal is and why they wont let anything stay on them. I's like to get those stylin "Z" caps from msa since I lost the old koenig ones.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Big Poppa

its the bearing covers, they stick out quite a bit, and dont let the shallow koeing caps stay on, it needs deeper caps to work. if you have a set of stock z caps, they are about 1/2" deeper than the ones that came off of your wheels. should ask msa bout that.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Will do. Stock ones... **** now that you mention it, I think when we popped off the tires I forgot to collect them