280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

zach's sbc build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Über User

lol, really shoulda freshened up the looks on that block and heads/valve covers
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Looks dont matter to me. Not going to a show or anything. It's about the powwaaa
Old 08-17-2008, 03:52 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I hope you like visiting the pumps more often..lol That is one reason I don't miss driving my V-8. 10 to the gallon on a good day. And keeping my foot out of it. And it is a Buick 350...in my Firebird. All in all...makes me appreciate my FI more and more..:P Enjoy the ride anyway man.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 AM

I have no expensive hobbies, so it's all good. Gas will go down, eventually lol. I already got pretty shitty mpg on my l2 anyway, since I drove it hard always. It wont be THAT big of a difference. I had a 3 speed and man it guzzled gas like crazy. Wither way, to each his own right? ^^. I'm going to buy another Z later on, and work with it, without the idea of butchering it. I just hope Matt is still around by then, or I'm going to have to be reading quite a bit lol
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Über User

lol. hmmm... lets see, a 2.8 L6 compared to a 5.7L V8.... yeah cant be that big of a difference.. .DURRRRR.... any V8 pre 2000 sucks ***** on gas mileage expecially those horse **** chevy 350 motors, they are very strong motors and CAN make power like crazy but from the factory they make like 240hp lol they suck ball sack and get about 14mpg because they were made in a time where gas was less than a dollar per gallon. i think your seriously mis-judging the gas mileage your going to get. especially if the motor is actually upgraded to the 425hp your sig claims. hey, as long as this isnt your daily driver you'll be fine but if it is, prepare to spend twice the amount in gas that you did with the Z.

my Z got crap gas mileage i though, then i drove it gently and even did highway tests and it freakin rocked my mind, these L motors suck if you drive anything but normal compared to a 50 year old man but if you do so drive nicely (not like a grandma but NICE) you can get about 25mpg
Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Shoot...I would drive my '81 hard back in the day. And I would still get 21-22mpg. No joke man...
Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
NisTuner

Dude my L28ET with my stupid 3speed auto gets like 21, I might be able to pull 22mpg out of it. Man that sucks, I'd imagine it'd be at least a few mpg higher with a 5-speed. I hate running at like 3650+ at 70 mph. I haven't tested out my 87 ZXT for mileage, but seeing it has a 5-speed and at 70 I believe it was running under 3k RPM it should be a good bit better.

Actually if I drove at 55mph, I bet I could get decent mileage, but it's hard to drive that slow on the highway.

My 76' 280Z is rated at like 28mpg highway, my old 280ZX 2+2 N/A even with the auto did really darn well on the highway as far as mileage goes. It seemed like it took a loooong time to run out.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ If I was easier on it. My best with my '81..was almost 390 miles to the tank full. I would always average..80 + on the freeway..and I still got over 20mpg. And my '81 was a 5-speed. All my Z's will ever only be manual..heh heh
Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 PM
NisTuner

Well seeing that my ZXT was only $1500, one of the only Turbo Zs I could find for sale in Ohio 2 years ago, with perfect compression and 89k miles it just seemed like the auto didn't matter. Body has a lot of in petty good condition black interior pieces as well, has the analog gauge cluster, and the manual heater controls! So if I decide to drop the L28ET into an S30 or decide to find a much better condition body, I've got a really good donor here.

On topic though, I'd love to get a ride in a V8 Z. Just to see what it's like and whatnot. If it's got 425hp, that'd be nuts, a fairly light car like the S130 with all that power has gotta go pretty darn quick.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Big Poppa

i have built a 450hp 1st gen rx7. now thats about the same, but it doesnt balance near as nice as the z car. it was just stupid insane to go thru traffic sideways with smoke off the tires. this thing should ahve better manners, but will still be sick. he also has the overdrive transmission which will also increase some mileage. i didnt hook up the torque converter lockup feature as i dont have a proper controller for it, and if he left it on accidentally, id would poop the tranny. so now at least its got 4 speeds!!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Auto! Yech!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 PM

lol my z barely got 10-14mpg already. As I told you I drove it hard - maybe even unnecessarily hard. Maybe driving it slow, like a normal car you would get that but not the way I drive it. The only chance I get good mileage is on the hwy, and I speed - so even that's not good mpg. When I drove it normally yeah, I'd get like 19-22mpg or so, but I haven't driven it that way in a long time lol. Thats just how I like it. I love hugging every corner, and pushing that car high, it's why I love driving.

It's a little ignorant of you to judge what I'm saying like I dont know what the hell I'm talking about, when you've not been the one driving the car isn't it? Why the heck would I say "I got shitty gas mileage" if I didn't mean it? Call the way I drove it stupid, or unecessary, but I'm not a moron. I will see very little difference in has mileage, just as I said.

Maybe something was wrong with my car also, but I dont see how it could get much worse than it already was. I would buy gas once a week at least, 70-80 bux a refill. As I said, I dont have any hobbies, so I drive my car like a mad man. Gas is no biggy.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 AM

i am very interested in your mpg anxious to hear first results. in my 83 n/a in fifth gear i do 2000 rpms at 50 mph, 3000 rpms at 75 mph, 4000 rpms at 100 mph and 5000 rpms at 125mph, any one else do this that knows what rear end they got??????
Old 08-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Big Poppa

if you walk on this one, theres gonna be some tires needed every week!! sucks i may do my intial tests in the rain no flooring it on the first runs. guys his engine fuel managment wasnt tuned right in the first place as well, i got it closer withthe afm, but there were some sensors making the milegae go down hill
Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
if you walk on this one, theres gonna be some tires needed every week!! sucks i may do my intial tests in the rain no flooring it on the first runs. guys his engine fuel managment wasnt tuned right in the first place as well, i got it closer withthe afm, but there were some sensors making the milegae go down hill
Oh dude hell no haha. I dont wanna commit suicide! I definitely wont be going crazy with this one man, the guy before me had it in a chevy monza, and he said he'd nearly wipe out just messing around with it. I do have a bigger, heavier car, with wider tires though. So at least I'll have that.

Yeah, supposed to rain all week, ouch man. Be careful. Not for my car's sake but your own man =/.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Big Poppa

ah dont worry professional auto-xer here, and thers is 500 acres of grass around the roads i use to test. hopefully all ill need at the end of tonight is belts, i gotta get them measured up because there are none when you custom mount everything.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm dying to know how it is lol.

did it start? Did you die? lol.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Big Poppa

muhahahaha, it lives, 3 weeks behind what i thought it would take, but holy @#^% its dang fast. 1st gear being useless, sencond can be pedalled, but by the time it finishes spinning its at 60mph, and accelerating like crazy. def a super fast car. had a bit of a fire from the fuel injection return line, which i never capped off, but thats why i always bring a fire extingusher along for first rides. thats solved, now just for exhaust, then itll be legal so i wont get ticketed. hes chosen flowmaster delta flow 50 series, single muffler with 3" exhaust after the y pipe then home to cali with zach. motor needs some tuning, but overall a super success.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 PM

Yeeesssss

if you dont hear from me in 3 weeks, assume I killed myself driving it lol
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zachrates
Yeeesssss

if you dont hear from me in 3 weeks, assume I killed myself driving it lol
Don't jinx yourself..lol Anyway enjoy the ride...hope you got what you wanted out of it..
Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 PM
NisTuner

Good mpg or not, we're all trying to make our cars go fast, so zach here is just following through on it and living the dream.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Don't jinx yourself..lol Anyway enjoy the ride...hope you got what you wanted out of it..
Lol, definitely couldn't use any more bad luck. This is the first thing that has been looking up for me in years haha. Imagine how ironic it would be if it killed me though haha =D. I should look into repairing my seatbelt so it actually functions huh?

Thanks man, I hope it's what I wanted too. I think it is. If anything, it's something Matt should be very,very, proud of, before he dies from exhaustion, working on that damn thing.

The guy is a friggin machine man. He wakes up like when I go to bed practically, and goes to bed when my dinner's on the stove haha =D. He's been telling me all this other **** he's had to do, on top of my car, he just works day and night. I'd probably die if kept his schedule
Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Big Poppa

hey the best part of this is that the car doesnt even sit any lower than it did already, looks like jtr got the setback and balance perfect for it. this thing has such a huge cam in it at idle its got limited vaccum for the brakes!! if it becomes a problem then you may need a vac canister. any idiot can install it. as for some interior parts, i have black stuff, but they come at some cost for parts. when you come and get it let me know and we can go over it, and you can buy them like at a store!! shadys z store
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Über User

so..... No video? WTF
Old 08-28-2008, 11:04 AM
NisTuner

Can I come get a ride in that? Then I'll make my way over to lww's to see if I can get a ride in his RB26 Z.

Quick Reply: zach's sbc build thread