280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Who wants to do a sticky writeup on diagnosing common 280zx efi problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM

Wellll....Again, sort of being the new kid on the block around here......My suggestion for who ever writes the article(s) Talk plain language.....

I'm sure if I was to talk with any of you all in person you would not be using all of the jargon "The CHT connected to the FMS, is controlled by a xyz switch". "Check your PDQ for corrosion"?????

It only takes a minute to type out the words....The helps the newbe understand what you're talking about. Or else if you must use the abbreviations, spell out the words first, then put into parenthesis the abbreviation.

If you go to a Dr. and the Dr. says your JMF is clogged, so we'll have to operate.. You'd go HUH?????

If a lady goes to the service manage for something that is wrong with her car, would a service manager, blow smoke using all the abbreviations???? So think of yourself as a service manager....Take a little extra time to explain what it does, why it does it, and maybe where it's located, since most everyone here asking for answers is a Do It Yourselfer

So my suggestion is, think like a Dr. talk plain language....

This also helps when using the search feature..Searching for words instead of abbreviations...Although abbreviations can be found.

Now I'll go to my room, and not come out till I've learned my lesson!!!!!!!!

Old Codger
Old 06-04-2014, 09:43 PM

You are right

It is true, it is very easy to give an abbreviated answer that to the untrained eye is just gibberish. I try to make an effort to write them as I have to at work, part of my job is reviewing and revising process and procedures. Our goal is to make a process Book so that any body, with no "Tribal Knowledge" can pick it up and build a 100% good product. So I fully agree our help needs to be written in a down to earth easy to understand jargon, where any average Joe can read it and go, Oh ! I get it ! That was a lot easier that I thought !
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM

As a newbie here, I'm kinda surprised the sticky doesn't exist yet. So many 280Z questions now, they seem to outnumber the rest.

If you finally find a way to get all the info together, Nismo had a great intro to the sticky task a while back:

"I'm thinking we should touch base on:
-"My car won't start!"
-"My car runs rough!"
-"My car has no power!"
-"My car hesitates!"
-"My car won't go over 2k rpm"

etc...

Also:
"My a/c won't work!"
"My car has no electrical power!"
"Why is my red check box light on!?"
"What is this sensor light?!" "

I see some good hints for the sticky's format in the above... and there are other common questions, too. Plus, there's a load of good input in this thread. Somebody's work is almost cut out for him!

Happy to help if I can. I'm Z31 trained, tho... But I can write almost anything - and edit everything.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 06-04-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Old Codger
Wellll....Again, sort of being the new kid on the block around here......My suggestion for who ever writes the article(s) Talk plain language.....

I'm sure if I was to talk with any of you all in person you would not be using all of the jargon "The CHT connected to the FMS, is controlled by a xyz switch". "Check your PDQ for corrosion"?????

It only takes a minute to type out the words....The helps the newbe understand what you're talking about. Or else if you must use the abbreviations, spell out the words first, then put into parenthesis the abbreviation.

If you go to a Dr. and the Dr. says your JMF is clogged, so we'll have to operate.. You'd go HUH?????

If a lady goes to the service manage for something that is wrong with her car, would a service manager, blow smoke using all the abbreviations???? So think of yourself as a service manager....Take a little extra time to explain what it does, why it does it, and maybe where it's located, since most everyone here asking for answers is a Do It Yourselfer

So my suggestion is, think like a Dr. talk plain language....

This also helps when using the search feature..Searching for words instead of abbreviations...Although abbreviations can be found.

Now I'll go to my room, and not come out till I've learned my lesson!!!!!!!!

Old Codger
Good point! Here are some common ones off the top of my head

AACV - Auxilary Air Control Valve
AFM - Air Flow Meter
ATS - Air Temperature Switch
CAS - Crank Angle Sensor
CHTS - Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor
CSS - Car Speed Sensor
CSV - Cold Start Valve
Dizzy - Slang for Distributor
ECCS - Electronic Concentrated engine Control System -> the ECU in the turbo cars
ECU - Electronic Control Unit
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculator
EGS - Exhaust Gas Sensor
IACV - Idle Air Control Valve or AR - Air Regulator
FSM - Factory Service Manual
FP - Fuel Pump
FPCM - Fuel Pump Control Module
FPR - Fuel Presure Regulator
PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation
TB - Throttle Body
TVS - Throttle Valve Switch - refered to as the TPS - Throttle Position Switch VCM - Vacuum Control Modulator
VCV - Vacuum Control Valve
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Exactly Mr. Frick, or should I refer to you as Mr. Frack?.

By the time it took you to type out the abbreviations, it probably didn't take that much more time to spell out what you wanted to say....

But on the serious side, even having a sticky made of all the abbreviations and their meanings, like you just made would probably be great help in itself for everyone.

Thanks for posting the abbreviations and their meanings.

Is MANNY and his brothers also members of the forum here?. Just wondering.

Old Codger
Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 AM

Da head bone connected to the neck bone

Car won't start? What's wrong? I don't know either..

So we know it needs spark and we know it needs compression, and we know it need fuel....

1. Go to your local hot rod shop, or maybe your local Harley Davidson dealer, and see if they have those little gizzmos that put plug your spark plug wire into, then into the spark plug. When the wire fires, then the middle of that gizmo lights up light, a lighting bolt.....They are pretty at night to see them flashing, but they will tell you if you are getting spark at the spark plug.

2. Get a in line see thru fuel filter. Mount it at a place you can see the fuel going thru it....It's not going to hurt if there's another fuel filter before going to the injectors...Actually it's good insurance.......Unless a car has been sitting for a very long time, chances are of the fuel tank or line having a bunch of crud blocking the line are on the slim side. Usually if a person has been driving the car pretty regular, then it might be because the neighbor kid hates you, and put dirt in the gas fill opening.

3. Next, a car needs compression...No biggie here...It's easy to do a compression test...Doesn't hurt to test the compression every couple of years, just to check the health of the engine...

Now you have checked the basics....Chasing all three at the same time, is going to take you three times as long to find the problem. I personally can't think of a time, when I had two going on at the same time.

Still won't start? It won't even turn over. No click, no nothing?

Get a tail light, or some interior light socket with some of the wire still attached...Now you have a test light....It's easy to test any electrical connection, without fear of shorting out anything. I got the bulb, socket and wire from the glove box...That way I didn't have to tear the car apart just to get what I wanted....You'll have to attach a ground wire to it...No big deal....Also I bought a couple of those alligator clips and put on the ends...Easier for a 1 man operation....Now I can test for electrical continuity.

Da head bone is connected to the neck bone.....Electrical..You start with the battery of course. Good clean connections, battery fully charged....Then use the test light at the fuseable links, and go from there....

When I get rich, I'm going to let the other guy do my work...I'm just going to put in gas and go!!!!!!!!

Old Codger
Old 06-28-2020, 07:24 AM

Looks like you have good information
I am going to look at a barn find today in S.C.
1983 280zx turbo with less than 150k miles, hopefully it will turn over!

SantaUpState