280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

VG30ET vs. L28ET

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 PM
NisTuner

VG30ET vs. L28ET

I just had a thought and began to wonder. Which engine would essentially be your better engine, in terms of torque, horsepower, and potential. I tried searching, but I couldn't seem to find a thread where anyone debated over these two engines.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 PM

VG30ET hands down is a better engine for power production. It'll also give you better weight distribution because the engine would be more centrally located and not jutting out in front of the shock towers. Stock it's making far more than the L and there are a world of upgrades for this engine just like the L. The only down fall of putting the VG in your engine compartment is the process of making it fit. There's going to be some fabbing involved there. Both engine will reach the same power levels for a street vehicle though but the VG will probably be more driver friendly in the end. In terms of which is better for you Z the only deciding factors would be differntiality (if thats a word) and the whole weight distribution deal. Plus the fact that you can put it in and have more power right off the bat. If it's ease you want stick with the L though.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 AM

strait 6's are famed for the tourq they produce compared to the same Litre V version. I agree with JFair. But a strait 6 has ton's of potential If you recognize it. I don't like easy ***** power. I like to work hard for mine. I alway's pick the motor that need's the most work. A motor like that you treat better and with more respect. I say go with the motor that catches your eye in a junk yard. That's what i did. and still doing. My next project is a retierd U.S Navy 78 F150 with a strait 6 in it. make a nice work truck.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:51 AM

I have a couple of friends with 300ZXs and one with an '86 Maxima so I've worked with VG30s a lot in the past. My personal opinion is that I hate the VG30. For one thing its a lot harder to work on while its in the car because of a lack of space. Also, its obviously a more complicated engine and it seem like you can never get it to run perfectly. They also have a tenacy to over-heat much more easily than the L6 or even V8s. I don't like V6s in general but the VG30 just annoys me. Let me put it this way, I enjoy working on L28s and I just get pissed off when working on VG30s. Just to clarify things a little, I am refering to the Z31, I only have a little expirience working on Z32s but they were a bitch too. Sorry if I offended anyone this is just based on expiriences that I have had.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
The Evil Twin

The VG30ET is not all that much better in terms of power. Only the DOHC VG30DETT would be worlds of difference. Go with the straight six.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 PM
NisTuner

I have no intentions to swap to a VG30. I love the straight six. It was more just something that kind of occured to me, and in a sense it was one of those things like well why not put a VG30ET in a 240Z rather than the L28ET or V8. One of those questions.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Bleach is my Hero

What it all comes down to is personal preference.. and money if your really gonna do something like that.. I stuck with the L6 so I wouldnt have to mod anything as far as mounting the motor goes..
Old 10-28-2005, 07:48 PM

See I'm kinda biased though. Not toward a particular motor but toward a particular goal. I'm not looking for which motor will just make the most power. I'm looking for the entire package. The V engines will set farther back in the engine compartment which equates to better weight distribution (or more potential for it anyways). You know why a mid engine car handles so well? Cause all the weight is between the wheels. That's the curse of the inline engine. It's just so damn long. Alls I have to do is pick a motor that will approach my power goal and will fit behind the shock towers. That's all I'm looking for. And of course it has to fit between the shock towers too For me thats anything from an SR20 to a LS1. And after reading about some guy putting out over 400HP in his LS1 powered Z while getting almost 30mpg (highway) of of pump gas, I'm seriously leaning back in that direction. I was considering the VG swap not too long ago too. But I think I might end up going with more displacement so I can keep the car on the street. Plus, the LS1 would be 400+ street legal in CA Horsepower on pump gas with more torque than a couple of L28's Now how what's not to like about that? Oh and did I mention it'll bolt right up to a T56? It's nice to know I'll also have a tranny that'll take the abuse and more smog legal aftermarket parts than I can count. But hey that's just me and this is a VG30 vs. L28 thread so I wont get started on TTing the LS1
Old 10-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew888
For one thing its a lot harder to work on while its in the car because of a lack of space.
As a Z31 owner that is very frickin true! U know how hard it is to reach the oil filter or worst of all...PUT ON YOUR DAMN HEADERS!!!???
Old 10-28-2005, 09:36 PM
NisTuner

I've done some work with a VG and like you guys have said pain in the ***. Although I could do a timing belt change in about an hour on one of those. Head gasket project, that was a task in itself.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by duowing
Which engine would essentially be your better engine, in terms of torque, horsepower, and potential.
Just thought this was getting a little off topic. But hey I guess we could start a "Which engine is the biggest pain in the *** to work on" thread.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:16 PM
NisTuner

When do these threads really ever stay on topic for a long time? So overall the VG30ET essentially can be slightly better because it's smaller and pushes out more power, but I guess there's not a major difference. VG30ET is alot harder to work on, whereas the L28ET is the easier to work with engine and can be easily swapped into any of the previous Z's. Like others have said the L-series just kind of fits with the car. For the small differences in power, I think I'd stay with the L series. Although the V8 into a Z has becoming more and more appealing. I think I'd like to build up an L28ET and one day get another Z and do a V8 swap, just that way I can have the best of both worlds. Am I wrong, or is there a way to give the L28 a displacement of 3.0 Liters cus that'd be an interesting match 3.0L Inline-6 Turbo vs. a 3.0L V6 Turbo
Old 10-28-2005, 11:31 PM

You're are correct. The 3.1 can be bored and stroke to 3.1liters and I've heard of it being done up to 3.2liters. Problem is that it's probably cheaper to swap in a VG than it is to do this stroker. A lot of people think it's as easy as getting the parts and throwing them in. Not so. If you can source used parts for cheap that only need mild reconditioning then the parts part cuts down on the overall cost. But there is still alot of machining required. I don't have the link but check out the Datsun Workshop (or something like that). They have a 3.1 writeup.

Plus I'm sure you'll get a link here for that buildup in the next few minutes from one of our link whiz's.

And you're right. I don't think there's a single thread in this entire forum thats stayed on track
Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by pete8717
U know how hard it is to reach the oil filter
umm, i think its pretty damn easy, go at it from the top not the bottom. you cant really see it, but its the easiest one on any car ive owned so far.

and yes, the vg is a pain in the *** to work on in a z31. i have big hands, and that engine is so wedged in there i cant open the hood without skinning my knuckles . but i dont care, cause i love my z.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by entropy31
umm, i think its pretty damn easy, go at it from the top not the bottom. you cant really see it, but its the easiest one on any car ive owned so far.

and yes, the vg is a pain in the *** to work on in a z31. i have big hands, and that engine is so wedged in there i cant open the hood without skinning my knuckles . but i dont care, cause i love my z.
How many times have you knocked a starter wire off or loose when changing the oil filter...?

Rod.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:29 AM
NisTuner

or pulled the oil sending unit connector loose. That happened a bunch of times. I remember the first time it happened I was going "Oh no...that can't be good" luckily I found out that it was just the sending unit, and was able to get it reconnected.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
How many times have you knocked a starter wire off or loose when changing the oil filter...?

Rod.
not once. ever. its real easy from the top, you just have to go by feel.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:46 AM

I assume you are talking about the L28 which is a very easy oil filter change. When he said it was hard to change the oil filter he was talking about the VG30, which he is right about.

The easiest engine to change the oil filter on is the Jeep 4.0. Only problem is you have to watch out for the oil pressure senser because if you hit it the thing will snap right off. Most inline 6s are easy to do oil changes one.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:22 PM

The VG for me, lighter and stronger. The VG can't be blamed begause it was jammed into a Z31, a much under rated engine from a durability and power potential perspective.

The L engines need to be easy to work on, because that what you have to do, regularly
Old 10-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by 260DET
The L engines need to be easy to work on, because that what you have to do, regularly
I wouldn't be laughing if it weren't true
Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 AM
The Evil Twin

9 years of daily driving and 220,000 miles on my L engine. I never touch the thing. I only replaced a few common wear items on the outside through the years. Original headgasket and all.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by 260DET
25 years. 245,000 miles and the motor has never been "opened up" NEVER. If you have to work on yours all the time, maybe you just got a lemon

Rod.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew888
I assume you are talking about the L28 which is a very easy oil filter change. When he said it was hard to change the oil filter he was talking about the VG30, which he is right about.
nope, i am talking about the VG. i have an 87 z31. never had a problem with the oil change at all. its always quick and easy.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM

A VG motor is good and all. No dought about that. But around here I like to stand out. and have somethin diffrent. I can't tell you how many ppl I have supprized when they seen under my hood. First I pop the hood latch, They alway's go to the front lookin for the pull lever. I luagh my azz off. Pop it and they see what's under it. The strait 6 is what got me into this car. I just can't wait to drive it.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
A VG motor is good and all. No dought about that. But around here I like to stand out. and have somethin diffrent. I can't tell you how many ppl I have supprized when they seen under my hood. First I pop the hood latch, They alway's go to the front lookin for the pull lever. I luagh my azz off. Pop it and they see what's under it. The strait 6 is what got me into this car. I just can't wait to drive it.
Word. I absolutely love inline-6 engines. Precisely the reason I'm not swapping in a V8 like everyone says to do. I love the power delivery of our engines, even in non-turbo suit - it's wonderful. My car in particular, the delivery is harsh, right there, in a blatant lack of respect "I'm Here Bitches" attitude.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Quick Reply: VG30ET vs. L28ET