ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   steering wheel nut size (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/steering-wheel-nut-size-5203/)

nabzif 04-12-2003 02:43 PM

steering wheel nut size

I can't get a measurement off it since it's too deep in the column and I don't want to buy the wrong socket size at the store.

Does anyone know what size is the steering wheel nut in the steering column center?

Thanks!

robertpark 04-12-2003 05:17 PM

22mm

nabzif 04-14-2003 01:01 AM

Thanks. Any idea if i need to use a puller to remove the steering wheel? or can i just remove the nut and pull the wheel off with some muscle?

Customlock 04-14-2003 01:13 AM

Be Careful...

If you do decide to remove it by hand (muscle, as you say), be careful...leave the nut threaded on the stud a couple of turns. You can usually just wiggle the wheel from side to side with all you've got pulling it off. DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT OFF WITHOUT THE NUT ON THE SHAFT.

Feeling froggy, go ahead and yank it off without the nut, you'll soon be visiting your favorite dentist or orthodontist, as soon as you are revived from the unconsious state you'll be in after hitting yourself in the face when it does finally let go.

nabzif 04-14-2003 01:39 AM

lol :D Thanks for the warning. Maybe i'll put a pillow infront of the wheel before i pull.

Let you guys know how it goes...

Bleach 04-14-2003 09:46 AM

haha! I pulled the steering wheel off by hand many times, not even coming close to hitting myself in the face.

Hold your arms steady and use your feet to pull. Then when it comes off you just plop down in the seat a little. Besides, your legs are usually stronger.

Bleach 04-14-2003 09:47 AM

haha! I pulled the steering wheel off by hand many times, not even coming close to hitting myself in the face.

Hold your arms steady and use your feet to pull. Then when it comes off you just plop down in the seat a little. Besides, your legs are usually stronger.

Skully 04-14-2003 12:37 PM

well i had that problem.....lets just say now i talk like daffy duck.....

oh and when your gonna be takin yours off can i come witha video camera!!??? this stuff is too good to miss....

nabzif 04-14-2003 08:17 PM

Okay...got it off without much problems; didn't need too much muscle to pull it off.

My goal is to get at the combination meter. I've removed the top and bottom of the steering column cover. I've remove the two mounting screws on the under side of the top and the two screws at the bottom of the casing.

I give the casing a pull...and it DOESN"T MOVE! :mad: Ahhhh, i'm pissed. Well, i'l slides out very little...like half inch and that's it.

Any ideas!?

nabzif 04-15-2003 09:16 PM

Figured it out.

There's two metal clip like things on the upper lip of the casing. It get's hooked onto the inner lip of the dash when i pull and that's what was making it harder to pull out the casing.

Oh well, hope this helps someone else.

I decided to cut two little square openings on the dash lip, now it comes out without much trouble.

robertpark 04-17-2003 02:44 AM

combination meter... wtf is that im not a car guy relly lol.

anyways if its where the spedo is there 2 screws on top and 2 on bottom. ive taken myne off like 100 times so far. lol maybe like 20 times one day

nabzif 04-17-2003 06:53 PM

Haynes manual call it the "Combination Meter"... :)

Originally posted by robertpark
combination meter... wtf is that im not a car guy relly lol.

anyways if its where the spedo is there 2 screws on top and 2 on bottom. ive taken myne off like 100 times so far. lol maybe like 20 times one day