280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Smashed Z....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
NisTuner

Smashed Z....

So I got into an accident today. My 2+2 has a nice smashed up front end. It looks relatively repairable, but the bumpers crapped up and it messed up the driver's side fender, headlight buckets are smashed, etc. right after impact the engine stalled. I can crank it, but it won't turn over. Car's sitting in a friend's yard. Luckily it was right in front of his house so we didn't need a toe-truck. Is it possible that the belts can get twisted for say the alternator or something and put resistance to prevent it from cranking? I can't figure it out. Nothing is leaking. Cop claimed to smell coolant, there's no coolant leak or smell... I feel horrible right now. If I had just been paying a little more attention my car would be fine, at home, with just that little oil leak as it's biggest problem. As long as this can be fixed that's all that matters.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:20 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Sorry to hear that man. From the sounds of it, your 2 + 2 has the same fate as my '81. Smashed up front end, and I need to get a whole front piece welded on to fix it. So it will be down the road for me. I can get the front piece from a wrecking yard out here. But it will take me some money to have somebody weld it back on for me. Hopefully your Z isn't as bad as mine. Good luck to you bro'
Old 07-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Taste My Rainbow

I Have A Few Sets Of Headlight Buckets Sitting Around... What Color Is Your Car?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
NisTuner

My 2+2 is a really nice blue and silver. I don't think it's gonna matter too much about the headlight buckets for color since the car's gonna have to be repainted. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v616/duowing/280ZX/ there you can see the pics of it. It looks like it's not too bent up, but like it's gonna need some new fenders, a little bit bent back out, new headlight buckets, etc.

Basically the damage as far as engine goes, it looks like maybe the air box was pushed slightly more towards the A/C condensor, but even the condensor and everything looks still to be intact. It seems to have just bent stuff more than actually damaging any engine related stuff. I feel so bad to destroy such a nice Z. It was almost done. Small oil leak and only very minor spots of rust left. Everything else was purely interior. This is going to definitely set my work with the turbo way back. I guess I'll just focus on getting the turbo running perfectly and then just worry about work to it later. Still can't figure out why the engine won't crank over. Have to go mess with it tomorrow see if I can get it running.

Last edited by duowing; 07-26-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 PM
NisTuner

Yeah it sounds like mine is about the same as Wildman's. Like I'd basically need a new front clip. It's probably not even worth it. Not to mention the money for new fenders, hood, headlight buckets, bumper, airdam, paint, etc. I'm thinking I'll begin donating the 2+2 to the Turbo. Use the interchangeable parts to get the turbo running smooth. Then what's left part out. I'll probably be selling the T-5 tranny I bought from slown'steady. I never got to the swap and now I don't have a well running Z anymore. It'll be money to go towards fixing up the Turbo Z. I'd rather get it all cleaned up and running real smooth before I start doing a tranny swap.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:30 PM

that realy sucks man looks like it was a nice car ..to bad
i know that your most likly doing this to your self but
Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Big Poppa

i may interested in the t-5 if you got the diff flange, and if you deside to part some stuff out.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:16 PM
NisTuner

Well for the T-5, I have the tranny and the driveshaft. It's basically still the same way I recieved it so it's pretty much ready to go. I never got the differential, since I was going to swap it into my automatic Turbo car, and that has the diff already. Is the 2+2's differential flange the same? Cus as is I'm gonna have that to sell.

I'll get some pics up of the damage in a bit.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Doesn't post much...

Sorry to hear about your car man. I hope it all works out for you.

Rod.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:39 PM
NisTuner

Hmm...So I get a call today. It's the officer from the accident and I get a message about wanting to talk to me to finish the report. The accident was 4 days ago already. No insurance info was exchanged at the scene of this accident. No damage was done to the other guy's vehicle. Hell there wasn't even a report filed at the scene. The guy issued me no ticket or anything. Do you think something can result from this? I mean it seems to me that really even if he gave me a ticket I could pretty much get out of it, but who knows. We'll see when I talk to the officer.

Anyway, here's a picture of the damage. It's not very good quality, but it gets the job done.
Attached Thumbnails Smashed Z....-smashed.jpg  
Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 PM

ouch Doesn't take a quality pic to get that message across
Old 07-30-2006, 05:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

No doubt man, I feel like I am looking at my '81. Major bummer dude, sorry for your Z's tragic demise.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:29 PM
NisTuner

Thanks guys. I'm just hoping nothing can result from whatever this cop wants. I don't know if they can give me a ticket 5 days after the accident or anything? Who knows we'll find out. I hope nothing results from this.