ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   Seafoam treatment (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/seafoam-treatment-26446/)

duowing 08-17-2008 03:20 PM

Seafoam treatment

This has probably been done a bunch of times before, but I decided to do the seafoam treatment last night. Man did it smoke like crazy, I let it idle for a while til most of the smoke was gone, then backed it out to get the rest out, I didn't even really get it on it, but I left a gigantic cloud of smoke down street. I imagine the neighborhood hated me at that point...

Anyway I can't tell if it made anything better or not, at first idle felt smooth, it at least sounds smoother. It seems like I have a little bit more go, and at full throttle it seemed like it ran to 6000 RPM way faster than it ever has, it actually surprised me. I may run some more through my intake as I've heard that as once you clean it out the seafoam will smoke less and less?

Also one thing I was wondering for my next oil change which would you guys recommend for my hydraulic lifters. Adding Seafoam to my oil and running it around a bit or ATF?

oldschool280 08-17-2008 03:28 PM

I dont know about hydro lifters but i ran it in my N47 head and it worked great.
and it helped me figure out what was really wrong with my car.

P.S. i pissed off my neighbors with it too! haha

Sweets 08-17-2008 04:41 PM

Did you let the engine set for a few minutes with the seafoam in the system before you started it up again? Lots of people dont know thats the right way to do it.

Every time you add seafoam to your engine, it will smoke regardless of how many treatments you do. It will smoke less the more treatments you do, but it will always smoke a little because the engine is burning the seafoam.

It will make it run smoother when you put it in the intake by removing some of the oils from the intake, and burning carbon deposits off the pistons. If your lifters aren't making any noise currently I wouldn't bother putting any oil attitives in the engine. But I guess a little seafoam couldn't hurt.

duowing 08-17-2008 05:10 PM

Yeah, I feed it through a vacuum hose off the intake and it'll pretty much want to stall instantly. I'll hold the throttle open more to get a bunch in there. I let the car stall and then I'll let it sit for a while. I'll usually do it before I go out to eat or something, so the car sits until I get back. Yeah it was a huge thick cloud, you could barely see down the street, and then from the cloud a bike rider emerged. I felt bad for the guy.

snwbrderphat540 08-17-2008 05:40 PM

seafoam smokes ALOT when burnt ALWAYS if it gets less smokey tis because theres less carbon deposits on your valves and maybe even piston tops. thats it. but it wont be all that noticeable since that stuff burns and smokes out black.

CWHammer 08-17-2008 06:19 PM

What is this Seafoam? I've never heard of this treatment. Is it just a a carbon/sludge eater?

NismoPick 08-17-2008 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by CWHammer
What is this Seafoam? I've never heard of this treatment. Is it just a a carbon/sludge eater?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

It's motor treatment....

This stuff is also the shiznit, but more expensive:

http://shop.autobahnpower.com/images/BG44K.jpg

snwbrderphat540 08-17-2008 06:52 PM

seafoam rocks the shit!!!! my dad is a sales rep for them (they only have like 15 in the whole company) and we got seafoam out the ass! normal seafoam transtune seafoam and deepcreep which is an AMAZING penetrating lubricant nothing beats it but it cant replace the rust breaking action of PB blaster

CWHammer 08-17-2008 07:41 PM

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the heads up. Snw, does that mean free sample to all of us fellow Z lovers? :023:

KasbeKZ 08-17-2008 07:47 PM

lol i was just wondering if he could ship it discount. my buddy's dad works for coke (acola) and he hooks me up!

ZBRICK 08-17-2008 07:49 PM

No wonder your mom has such a house. Whats up with the tramp. What happens when she injests sea foam?

duowing 08-17-2008 11:52 PM

Hmm, I ran the seafoam treatment once more through my car. Smoked alot still, but it was way less than before. Anyway full throttle getting on the freeway at stock boost felt like the tires were ready to break traction. It was pretty wild.

Now I don't know if I'm nuts or not, but it seemed like going 70mph my Tach was reading a hair over 3500(3-speed auto) where before I swear my RPMs were higher.

snwbrderphat540 08-18-2008 10:15 AM

lol its not a super high paying job its average. also sure, you can all have some... if you come pick it up. lol.

KasbeKZ 08-18-2008 03:07 PM

word. roadtrip. i would go to chicago for that. just because i like to drive and travel. and get some seafoam too!

plainwhiteZ 08-25-2008 12:31 AM

Seafoam every 3 thousand miles or so seems sufficent for me. I did it after i first bought the car and the performace increase was rediculous. In the test drive it felt like a corolla then after a fresh tank of gas ( the gas was a year old in the car) a new fuel filter, and some seafoam for the injectors it started feeling like a Z. Love the stuff.

ZBRICK 08-25-2008 04:46 PM

If you want to Sea Foam, check out these directions.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=126583

at-jefft 08-25-2008 05:31 PM

Any reason not to use Seafoam? Seriously, could there be any negative effects?

KasbeKZ 08-25-2008 05:36 PM

it can occasionally foul up o2 sensors, but if i remember correctly, you have none

at-jefft 08-25-2008 05:43 PM

nope. don't have one of those.

CWHammer 08-27-2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
lol its not a super high paying job its average. also sure, you can all have some... if you come pick it up. lol.

I should be there the end of Nov. The project I'm working on ships around Oct so we should be installing it in Nov. :icon_super:

Seriously though, I need to pick some up for this weekend. After that at every oil change? Keeps it all working smooth? My does need a wake up, it's been sluggish and doesn't start to really pull until 3k on the tach.:017:

Ratfink 10-21-2008 07:29 PM

Sorry about the old thread. But, I have run Seafoam in numerous vehicles. The vacuum port in the intake for the triple weber carbs seems to feed only from one cylinder. Is there an easy way to evenly distribute the sea foam in all cylinders?

KasbeKZ 10-21-2008 07:43 PM

ratfink!!!!
:038::038::038:

do you have 6 separate air intakes? like rampipes?

Ratfink 10-21-2008 07:51 PM

Did you guys miss me? hahaha

Yeah, standard triple weber setup, 40 DCOE's. With filter units that cover both throttle bodies per carb.

I had a mishap today. Starting a new thread. haha. But, I really want to run seafoam now. (read other thread)

KasbeKZ 10-21-2008 08:45 PM

i think you'll just have to spray it into each one separately. i don't see any other way

Ratfink 10-21-2008 09:23 PM

You are supposed to kill the engine with it. Let it sit, and then run it. I think I will try and do this three times for each set of carbs. Not going to be easy. But, it should be fun. I was thinking of some tube gravity feed system... Fill 6 tubes with sea foam, aim them down the throttle bodies, and then release the fluid. Kinda like holding your thumb over a straw filled with soda. Not that any man here uses a straw to drink with. I am sure you are all to manly to be sucking through a straw like a little girl scout. haha