ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   280ZX (S130) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/)
-   -   S130 Lambo doors (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/s130-lambo-doors-19504/)

apollo 08-02-2006 01:41 AM

S130 Lambo doors

Well Ive never seen it done until now.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2140914

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24.../LAMBOS130.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24...LAMBOS1302.jpg

WildmaN 08-02-2006 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here is one I have in my pictures on my computer.

Bleach 08-02-2006 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Well here is one I have in my pictures on my computer.

That is from the 2006 MSA nationals. Apollo should have seen that one in person!
I took that picture. But the gold car looks to be in better condition.

frank280zx 08-02-2006 10:47 AM

Nice bend rim on the cardomain pics.. im affraid to tell but i kind of like the car .. - the doors... and eatmyflames kit LOL

apollo 08-02-2006 12:38 PM

Crucial, I knew it was taken at MSA but I never saw that Z and assumed it had been a previous year. Well, until I ran in to that pic I had never heard of it being done. I guess it was just a matter of time. Im sure they look pretty good in person but on a stock Z i dont think they flow with the rest of the car. Needs to have quite a bit of body modification, in my opinion, to necessitate lambo doors. It is a slick top though so he gets some points . . . .

jfairladyz 08-02-2006 03:03 PM

people are always talking about how lambo door are ugly. I dont get that logic. The door is shut 99.9% of the time so its really not even a question of looks. But judges at cars shows look for that kind of stuff. Taking the extra effort to put your car ahead of the rest. And showing off is really the ONLY pupose that type of mod serves on a car like this. The only reason Lambo had them was cause the damn car was 10' wide (exageration, or is it :paranoid: )

Of course you gotta stop and ask yourself is the ridiculous cost of a decent set of vertical hinges really worth the cost??? I guess it's up to the individual. But I wouldn't use looks as a basis for judging vertical doors. Base your judgement on the fact that for what it costs for decent hinges you could bulletproof your engine and have one sic turbo setup ;) Some like show...some like GO. Me personally, I like both. But it's go before show for myself.

Skully 08-02-2006 04:26 PM

i dont mind that scissor look at all...looks pretty sweet if you ask me, and i like how everything when you open it points backwards.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/attac...4&d=1154515321

icice9 08-02-2006 04:33 PM

personally i like em!!!! even before everyone was doing them to thier cars i wanted to do it to my 280.. i was going to make my own hinges and design the whole thing myself.. but if someone already has a kit for it.. why not just buy it.. it sure would make it a lot easier to get in and out of my car when im parked in the garage when i dont have much room to open the door the conventional way... having the doors open vertivaly allwows you to get in and out of your car if your parked in a tight area... plus it looks cool... lol

not much room between the 2 cars... i have to move the 350 out before i can even get into my 280....
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...May25_0001.jpg

apollo 08-02-2006 04:38 PM

I wouldnt mind that problem at all! Coming home to 2 Z's . . . .yes, thats something i think i can only dream of right now. Some day i will have one from every generation. Imagine parking in that garage . . .

Bleach 08-02-2006 05:21 PM

I park my right hand drive Z over to the left. Don't have to worry about opening the left door! :D
oh wait, it doesn't run anyway... :(

But I still have lots of room to work around my 280ZX with both Z's in the garage.

jfairladyz 08-02-2006 09:41 PM

vertical doors dont always make life easier. A lot of it has to do with how far they open. I had the pleasure of riding in an Eclipse that had vertical doors. Getting in and out was awkward cause the door protruded into the opening when in the vertical position so you had to work your way around the door. Try to hop in or out and you'd crack your nogin. Not that it was difficult but it was something I noticed that kind of threw me off. Still though, the coolness factor just might outweigh that minor nuisance.

SpeciallySpiked 08-02-2006 11:14 PM

someone should do the crazy doors the konigsegg has.... would get rid of the noggin problem except it doesn't go with the flow of the open hood

Fast240Z 08-02-2006 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
someone should do the crazy doors the konigsegg has.... would get rid of the noggin problem except it doesn't go with the flow of the open hood

True, but you'd be the first person who was sporting dihedralsyncrohelix actuation doors, or how ever that's spelled :p.

thxone 08-03-2006 01:07 AM

My 280zx will whoop the tar out of a Konigsegg in a race.......

If the Konigsegg has no gas, engine, or tranny in it. But yes, the doors on that car are awesome!!

snwbrderphat540 08-03-2006 06:43 AM

they sorta do, i was watchin pimp my ride (god only knows why) and they had these "SUPER LAMBO DOOR" that opened 130 degrees. so they tilted far enough to point towards the front of the car. they arent konigsegg doors that just twist up, they still open like the lambo door setup, they just open much further.

FubarI33t 08-03-2006 07:56 AM

I would rather go with a convertable conversion. or with a Pantera rear hatch. (I choose the Pantera hatch. but can't ever find em)

skittle 08-03-2006 08:41 AM

I think it would be cool to some how strengthen the top on a slick top and make a set uf gull wing doors like on the delorian.

rxKaffee 08-03-2006 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by skittle
I think it would be cool to some how strengthen the top on a slick top and make a set uf gull wing doors like on the delorian.

That'd be kinda difficult considering our doors are only glass on the top.

Hmmm... Wouldn't the lack of metal at the top of our doors make it a very difficult and precise task to align the hinges to keep from shattering your windows when the doors close? For the lambo doors I mean.

thxone 08-03-2006 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rxKaffee
That'd be kinda difficult considering our doors are only glass on the top.

Hmmm... Wouldn't the lack of metal at the top of our doors make it a very difficult and precise task to align the hinges to keep from shattering your windows when the doors close? For the lambo doors I mean.

I read up on the lambo doors and they say when they open (GT Factory) the doors open out just a bit then up, I would assume they would do the opposite when they close. Our doors close with the window resting on the outside of the weather stripping so it should be fine...I just wouldn't slam them as hard as I could, but they should be fine.

thxone 08-03-2006 01:17 PM

I don't think it would be any harder to align though.

skittle 08-03-2006 01:26 PM

all lambo doors pop out a little then raise to clear the fender.

Bleach 08-03-2006 02:27 PM

you would need a frame around the glass for a gull wing door. Making the door itself out of fiberglass would help too. Manual window drank to open the window. A t-top frame car would be a better start for a gull wing car. :D

lww 08-03-2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
A t-top frame car would be a better start for a gull wing car. :D

That's exactly what I was about to say. You only need to reinforce the center post and mount hinges, then you fabricate the door/window frame to fill the TTop gap and hinge it to the center post. You could then just rotate the door latch slightly to get it to accept the post at a slight upward angle.

The hardest part is going to be reinforcing the center post and getting strong enough hinges to handle the stress of the full doors weight.

Much easier job than trying to cut the roof. Making it out of fiberglass will certainly reduce the stress on the center post, the window/door frame and hinge.

That might actually look pretty decent if done right.

skittle 08-03-2006 04:15 PM

Hmmm I Need To Find A Wrecked T-top To Do Some R&d On

Bleach 08-03-2006 10:06 PM

I have one you can have for free. It even has a title. 1983 2-seater 280zx turbo... stripped to the frame