280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Pregnancy and 2+2s

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Pregnancy and 2+2s

Holy crap kids!!! Wife is knocked up!! After my wife finished going off on my Z addiction. I am trying to compromise. First for the current owners. I've only seen one 2+2 years ago. Is there any legroom in the back? Or is it a joke backseat? second is there is any old school owners that had one new?? Can you place a car seat in the back. Looking at buying a real car this time. Working A/C low low mileage. Oh and how hard are 2+2 automatics to come by. Thanks for some input!!! I will print this out as arguments for keeping Z's in my stable.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 PM

What I am talking about is once they get out of the rear facing seat. For cruise nights or a trip up to the lake. Or should I listen to the wife and read "unsafe at any speed"? I think people are way nuts on the issue of cars and car seats. My wife was in a car seat in the back of a CJ-5. Me well I slid all over Dads famous "Ricardo Montalban - Rich Corinthian Leather" AKA cheap shitty Naugahyde, In the back of the Plymouth. In other words would you guys put kiddies in your Datsun?

Last edited by Lesnocker; 08-18-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM

I totaled my 280Zx only days before my daughter was born (23 years ago) and then went 4 years without a Z. Then..my 88Zx ..my kids grew up in that car! To the point I taught both my kids how to drive shift with that car. My car saved my life a few times. Z cars are famously safe! Many stories of them giving themselves up to save the driver.

Congrats!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 AM

Thanks our first. You brought up something I never thought about. Maybe I'll look into the 300 zx.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Congrats

Congratulations on the future new members to your family... car and child ! For me the only 2 reasons to own a 2+2, you have kids or that's all that's available. If you don't get a 2+2 find a nice 411 Wagon, the ratsun guys will love you!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 AM

2+2's are really tough to find. The only ones I ever saw for sale were automatic..if you want your kid to want to drive shift..DON'T get automatic Kids love the shifting action. I used to have my son (now 20 & 6'4 yikes) sit in the passenger seat and he'd shift gears while I was clutching. He loved it! Now he drives shift and has converted and taught his friends.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

A 2+2 Z32 would be easier to find and has more modern safety features built in... The rear seats are a bit of a joke on most sports cars. At least the Z32 doesn't look hideous in 2+2 - A first for Nissan on that front (of course to each their own 2+2 lovers)
Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM

I know they are a joke. However my aunt owned a 1991 Geo storm. I was comfy in the back until 13/14 years old. Plus it fit a car seat. I think I will search for a 710 wagon. Like Predator recommended. I work a weird job. Wages are a tad low say I make 60% of my yearly. Christmas we get what amounts to 40% in a lump. Not bragging but seriously last year after tax I cleared 22,000.00 in one check. So I have a budget of around 11 /12 grand for a TOTALLY restored car. Wife wants me to get a Monte ss or a 60s Electra. I got wagon fever so 710 here we go!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Jus thinkin' that air bags are a good idea with kids. Not the real little ones - but basic kids. Something to think about. I wish my Z31s had 'em...
Old 08-20-2014, 05:03 AM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

I sat in the back seat on a 280zx 2+2 when I was a kid, and I own that 280zx today There is enough room in the back for one front facing seat, not sure if those are acceptable any more.

Just get a 2nd car for the family and keep your Z for some stress relief.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Well after 4 kids all I can say is this... Get a 4 door. You find that it is an incredible pain in the A** inserting and and removing an infant+carrier into the back seat of a 2 door, especially a small one. You probably could survive with a 2 door if you did not have drop the kiddy off at daycare/grandmas every day but if both of you are going to work then you will find out what I mean. Good news is that you only need to have a rear facing one for a year. I would suggest getting a car seat and take it with you when your are looking different models. Also leather/vinyl is a good interior option as kids have a tendency to puke, poop and spill. Get a beater and keep the Z you have clean and pristine.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 PM

Some infant carriers have a base that permanently belts into the car, and then the carrier seat just clicks into it, which makes it very easy to install even in a 2 door. What you will find difficult is trying to belt in a 2 year old who does not want to be belted into the back seat, while you are bent over like a dog humping a football! For my two-cents I'd keep it for style points. I saw a couple belting a kid into the back of a 2+2 Porsche once, absolutely classy! I had a 2 door BMW for a while, and you get used to it. Although I do give a +1 to the puke, poop, spill sentiment!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 PM

Awesome ! Thanks for the input! Well by all means this is NOT for daily life. We have a Tahoe for my wife. Thought it would be great for cruise nights. Take mine with my wife pulling in beside me with the 2+2 and the kid.

*UPDATE* I found a 83 Turbo 2+2 T-top. 92k miles digital dash, cold A/C, automatic and a working cruise control!!! Being a first for me . The car is a DOG!! $2800.00 now down to $2000.00 because of the hideous shade of Gold and gold interior and gold rims and gold......... Wife said it looked like something MR. T would **** out. That and I would look like a Member in a gold car. Lame "James bond" joke. I like it its solid. Wife said she's fine with a manual... . Will a standard standard zx tranny survive for a while 10-20k miles? It takes me now 1 1/2 hour to swap trannys. I have 5 laying in various locations including one I use as a wheel chock. Will it wake it up a bit?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 AM

Yeah get a family car but if you are in a budget then you can use the 2+2 as a family car and the car seat will fit fine in the back.I owned 5 2+2's in the past (now I own 2+2 Turbo 5 speed)and my kids love to ride with me especialy in the back.Now all of them own Z's.......Also the z saved one of my frinds from ugly accidant.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  1.31 MB

Also here is my 2+2

Name:  DSC01028.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  2.95 MB

Name:  DSC01027.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  3.01 MB

Last edited by borini63; 10-23-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 PM

Talking 2+2 t top

the 2+2 t top is the way to go. makes for MUCH easier time getting kiddos out of the back seat, especially if they're in a front facing. i'm actually thinking about creating a carseat that would fit perfectly in the back of any tiny little import coupe, like the Z lineup, preludes, supras, or any other 2+2 model, that will make it much easier and safer and more comfortable for a small child.

honestly, you will NEVER fit a rear facing in the back of a Z. especially the carriers. some models are just not meant for a small kid. but, my baby is my 83 280zx 2+2 t top. my husband rags all the time about how i'm drivin with my knees in the dash, but his long legs won't allow our 2 year old son to sit behind him, not in a normal sized carseat at least....

i'm working on a design though, and hopefully soon i'll be able to find someone who will help build it and we can market it for the import/sports car enthusiasts....
Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 PM

lol i just was looking, this looks like it'll fit perfectly in the back of a Z. unfortunately, it's for toddlers, not infants. but it's way better to wait a year to be able to take the kid out in it than not be able to have any room whatsoever in the car.

HOT HOT SALE!!!Portable Toddler Car Seat Safety,Hot Selling Comfortable Toddler Car Seats,Wholesale Brand New Infant Car Belts, $21.66 | DHgate.com
Old 04-03-2015, 09:55 PM

or there's this. it conforms fmv standards.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...3Aride+safer+2

here's the link to the actual website.
http://ridesafertravelvest.com/?id=r...FYM8gQodLVQAFg