280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Pooooooooof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:21 PM

alright, So If my cam is off. How you set them right. this is something never done by me, Not really seen it happen. I guess I will pull cover and get a real good look at her in the mornin.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:54 AM

I took Cover off. I don't have any battery's for my digy cam, so no pic's at this moment. It's lookin bad in there. Small chunk's of stuff, Very srtong gas smell. Small puddle's od very thin liquid (my guess It's Gas)
end of cam look's a lil rusty and unoiled. She's at TDC and #2 vaulve on #1 piston is slightly open.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:13 AM
The Evil Twin

Maybe your timing chain jumped! rare, but it can happen. I had it happen to an L20b 4-cyl engine. It jumped just enough that it still ran, but really bad; backfires and not enough power to really drive.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 AM

There are large amount's of carbon build up. last two lobes on cam airn't geting oil.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:43 AM
The Evil Twin

Get a new engine. Don't use straight weight oil
Old 11-04-2005, 10:26 AM

eeeh yeah i dont know what to tell you here....you can reset your timing and let it run but i dont know how long its going to run...you can decide to fix it but its probably going to cost you way more then another engine...depends what the chunks are from and where else you werent getting oil...seems your oil pasage is cloged to those lobes...

take a pic when you can we still want to see...
in meanwhile start thinking about what to do...if i was in the states and seems like you guys find turbo motors fairly easy..thats what i would do...
Old 11-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Pic's!!!!!!!

#1 is rear end of Cam. The part not geting oil.
#2 Are TDC Piston #1
#3 A head bolt. Filled with carbon
#4 Kinda fuzzy, but a hole in the head. (my guess oil hole. there's like 4) Clogged badly with carbon. All hole but fron one are clogged.

Last edited by FubarI33t; 08-10-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:20 PM

oh man that cam is done for, oits got rust on the shaft...damn.....timing is off yeah...man you got buildup everywhere...

sheesh...id imagine this goes all the way trough the head and the block too...

i got a spare cam for an NA im not going to use i could give it to you just cover shipping but i dont know man...if that one oil passage is clogged...you might have trouble elsewhere...did you dump fresh oil in there before trying to start...that engine needs over all cleaning....

like i said you can make it run but how long ...i dont know..

so start thinking about options...

Last edited by Skully; 11-04-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM

Man thats some nasty sludge you got there!!! Stick a fork in it cuz its done!!!
I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to figure out whats wrong...time for a new motor period. I'll bet your pick up tube is clogged full of sludge too.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Skully I got a cam. Hell I got a whole motor Running from my part's car. I did not want to swap them. But it look's like I might have too. I got to check other motor first. Let me go pull cover from it and see.

Other motor is ok I guess, Very lil carbon, Cam is nice. Look's like she's had a rebuild before. of courese. after 265,000 miles. I would rebuild one too. Look's like she can be a replacement. But only for Ummmm I guess 10,000 miles. Be enough time to rebuild orig motor.

Last edited by FubarI33t; 11-04-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:10 PM

heheh good for you then...check the donor one over see if its good...and well swap it in since you got one...other one seems to be toast
Old 11-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Bleach is my Hero

OUCH.. That is bad.. I pulled the motor on my VW and found mud in water pasages..
Old 11-05-2005, 04:05 PM

Well. I am gona pull the head off first, See how far down the damamge is. See if I can just clean her up. And use her for a few more miles. It's the orig motor. I really want to keep her that way as long as possible. Most ppl would of just pulled the running motor and put in there by now. But I am being stubern bout it. What size tool is them head bolt's?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:17 AM

i see well look at it....make sure oyu jam something to hold the chain up so you dont have to look for it in the front timing cover...
i forget what the bolts are top of my head its been a while since i took my head off...
good luck to you...
when you pop the head...try and measure the bores too see if they are too much out of tolerances...look for any abnormal scratches or marking on the cyl walls...
did you do a compression test first? i would
Old 01-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Well since the time from above, i have cleaned up the carbon in the haed, and it all the oil pasages are clean, it only went down a tad, not far at all. i broke all the out side of my motor down since then, took everything off intake, including T/B. Replaced the T/B, Waterinlet, and some smaller thing's. I spent almost 2 day's cleaning the head while it was still on the car, like i said, carbon looks to only be in the head. the cam cleaned up pretty well to. I forgot to take pic's of the cleaned up head before i put a new gasket on and put cover on. I just finished puting the motor back togeather, The Motor is 100% reday to test, but the Motor Bay is not. AutoZone, Nor O' Reilliys could order fuse links for me, and i needed one, Since the day i bought my Z, i wanted to update those old azz fuse links. Now those fuse link's are GONE and a new fuse block is in, i should finish wireing it in the mornin. new fuse block has 5 major fuse's, same nuber as fuse link's i had. a Shunt, A shunt is usually a resistance in series with a load. The voltage drop across a shunt is proportional to current flow, for those who don't know, hell i had to look it up myself. I am not gona use it, no ned for it. but it's got one in case i ever do. and it also has 6 small fuse's(those little bitty ones) for acssesory's, gona use a couple those right away's and save a few sport's for future add on's. this fuse block is long and narrow, fit's nice in motor bay, i'll take a pic when it get's all wired up. I have also got my Check System to work since then, at least it tells me i need water, but then again, the waterinlet was not in the car at the time it was tryed out. The whole purpose of this post is an update, i have not been on zdriver much lately, but i am still here, and it's main purpose, Witch Fuse Link had So Many amp's, I would like to know this, so i can put the right Amp Fuse on what it needs to go to., i have no idea what amp those fuse link's were.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 PM

New fuse box is wired up. The inside of the car is workin, but i don't have enough juice in batt to turn motor over. Now all that's left to do, is find out why some one rerouted the coolant away from the heater core, get my batt charged, and turn it over. Under the intake, there's something that shoot's down (5 speed it's longer) auto it's about 4 inches long. has a vaccume line and a water line going to it, What is that? it's a few inches toawrds the firewall under the cold start injector.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 PM

It sounds like you're talking about the BCCD(EFGHIJKLMOP ) I don't know what the hell its called but its to help with backfiring upon deceleration and keep the car idling when you let off from womping on it. Of course that's if thats even the part you're talking about. I don't remember a waterline going to it though. But thats the only thing I can think of hanging down from the intake manifold so...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 AM

i don't have any pic's of my motor to how you what i mean. on the new fuse box, I took the Three large wire's and hooked them up to 60 amp's, and the two smaller ones up to 40 amp. if they blow, then i know to go up in amp, if not then hopefully it ain't to big of a fuse, i don't want nothin to blow on me.