280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Pedal assembly cracked . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Pedal assembly cracked . . .

Anyone ever had a problem with where their clutch bolts into the pedal assembly? I was driving around today, and when I depressed the clutch I heard a fairly loud crack from the pedal box - no more clutch. Took a look under there, and the fulcrum where the pedal meets the metal has cracked so it can no longer push the clutch clevis far enough to disengage the clutch. I stopped by a local repair shop that I saw on the way home, and he took a look at it . . . "huh, kind of a bad design - really thin metal that the clutch is levering against". I tried to convince him to rig me up a push-rod with a handle that I could use with my left hand, but he wouldn't do it.

Did quite a bit of searching, but didn't find anyone mention this happening to them before . . . was this just a fluke thing, or should I be worried about it happening on a replacement pedal assembly as well?

I'm working tomorrow on pulling out the assembly, already have the steering wheel off and the dash mostly apart so it hopefully won't take very long. I'll take pictures of actually what happened once it's out.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I have never heard of it happening. Tough break man, sucks that happened. I own 4 Z's, and never had it break on me. I have lost a pin though, it's still in my '82 280zx's body. lol
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I've never heard of that before. if you need a new assembly I have one somewhere I'll send you
Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I have never heard of it happening. Tough break man, sucks that happened. I own 4 Z's, and never had it break on me. I have lost a pin though, it's still in my '82 280zx's body. lol
Silver lining - it gives me an excuse to see how worn that pin is. Seen some pretty scary pictures as to how thin they can get, although I think it's more common on S30's. And of course, I've been meaning to pull the dash so I can fix all the cracks in it anyway.

And while it's laid up, I do have some new brake lines and a thermostat I should install . . .

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
I've never heard of that before. if you need a new assembly I have one somewhere I'll send you
Awesome - I may take you up on that. Heading out now to brave the cold & get it out of there, I'm not looking forward to it . . . 14 degrees out there.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Fun, thats about how warm it is here! Well good luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Man, pulling this thing out was a real bitch. I can't think of anything other part on the car that requires this many parts to be removed!

Wish I had a better camera than just my phone, but you get the idea. Top & outside brackets are completely separated, the small inside bracket is almost torn through, and the inside pivot is halfway torn off.

Any opinions on if it's fixable? I'm bringing it to a local guy later today so he can see it.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Daemione
Man, pulling this thing out was a real bitch. I can't think of anything other part on the car that requires this many parts to be removed!
Have you tried pulling the intake yet? lol
Old 01-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by pete8717
Have you tried pulling the intake yet? lol
pffft, try pulling out the clutch pedal assembly on a 1st generation DSM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Try working on a DSM. Of course you have, and so have I. I personally think they are a holy nightmare! lol
Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Geez I've never seen the metal split like that right there before. thats kinda bizarre.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Big Poppa

you can weld in a doubler right there. no biggie, someone has a heavy left foot instead of the right. guess you get less tickets then
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
you can weld in a doubler right there.
If it were just the one big spot, I'd have it done no question. But the top bracket needs to be tacked as well as the little inside bracket is tearing. But toughest is the inside pivot point (hardest to see, but there's daylight in the 2nd picture that shouldn't be there). I'm not sure repairing that point is possible without seizing the whole assembly.

Or rather, I don't know a welder with enough skill to do it.

Found a cheap pedal assembly, so it shipped today. Car will be out of commission until next week.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Stopped by a local(ish) yard with some 280zx parts to see if they had a pedal assembly & a few other odds & ends I'm looking for. No luck on anything I actually went for, but I did find this little diamond in the rough:

P90a solid lifter head. $60.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Über User

P90A's were hydraulic lifters and they are turds.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
P90A's were hydraulic lifters and they are turds.
Not all of them . . . take another look.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

What he means was. all of them where made with hydraulic lifters. someone must have replaced them with solids on that one. but nice find none the less!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Early p90a's came with solid lifters. I'm pretty sure it's one of them, based on the cam that's in there (marked J which is the p90 cam).
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM
The Good Twin

Indeed those are solid adjustable lifters. Nice find!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Über User

There's a P90 and a P90a. the A was hydraulic lifters and the P90 was solid, though otherwise identical heads. Unless I'm missing info, that I just didn't know about? But yes I saw that... Honestly, I don't find there anything special about those heads. From what I have read from people flow charts on all the heads, stock, they all just about flow the same. Plus they don't make SS valves for that head and you have to use the ones built for the earlier head styles if you want them (which is almost needed for upgraded springs and higher revving motors) which is minor modification, I forget exactly, not a big deal, but in the end, I think I'd take an N42 head over it... If I were going to build a head that is.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
There's a P90 and a P90a. the A was hydraulic lifters and the P90 was solid, though otherwise identical heads. Unless I'm missing info, that I just didn't know about?
Yup, like I said before, early p90a's still came with solid lifters. Quite a few people have stumbled on them.

Honestly, I don't find there anything special about those heads. From what I have read from people flow charts on all the heads, stock, they all just about flow the same. Plus they don't make SS valves for that head and you have to use the ones built for the earlier head styles if you want them (which is almost needed for upgraded springs and higher revving motors) which is minor modification, I forget exactly, not a big deal, but in the end, I think I'd take an N42 head over it... If I were going to build a head that is.
Stock, you're right, they all flow in the same ball-park as each other. And when heavily modified, they all have the same potential as well. But I don't want to leave it stock, or drop a crazy amount of money on headwork. Something between these two extremes to get good bang for the buck.

From everything that I've read, it takes the least amount of work to make it ideal for a hot street engine. Combustion chamber doesn't need extensive welding, and it works well with the inexpensive OE flat-top pistons for good knock resistance while keeping higher compression to help out a bigger cam. This will be my long term n/a project head.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Big Poppa

p-series heads outflow all other stock heads. there is a flow chart around the inter webs somewhere i think it was on hybridz. great find tho, no liners, good for turbo or insane porting on na applications
Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to update this, didn't I.

I got the "new" pedal assembly - broken one is on the right, believe it or not:

Not sure why mine was painted & the junkyard replacement I got obviously never was. But some work with a wire wheel & some Krylon & it cleaned up nice:

Got it all installed a few days ago, everything working great except for my horn. Not sure what's up with that yet.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM
The Good Twin

Someone has tampered with it then, because the orig wasn't painted from the factory. That could explain the crack... maybe someone messed it up accidentally, or tried to fix it, and botched it...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM

I thought the same thing, but couldn't find any difference between the two . . . other than the broken metal, of course.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

Its hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like metal fatigue. If it has any kind of movement in this case clutch in and out. it gets weaker until it gives out and cracks, then the added stress pops the tack welds.

Quick Reply: Pedal assembly cracked . . .